Returns

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Returns

Post by Dave »

Well I've been lucky , but this month my luck ran out . I'm getting two of my fosters back , and it's not Coda although I'd still take him :wink: I've only had one return in five years , now two in as many weeks . I guess Hutch is beating up his new brother and I'm not sure what is setting it off . The husband had the lab first and says no way he can stay . Also I guess he is escaping their 4 acre property and chasing the neighbors chickens . I won't comment on that .
I feel like just going away and take my name off the list . I can cope with male aggresive dogs and will simply list that he needs an only dog home . He is super with kids and can be contained as a house dog and will make a great companion for an active person .

I am getting more of an education than my old brain wants . I'll stop my rant now , everyone isn't as tenacious as most of us here reading these are . Dave
Last edited by Dave on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Dave, it'll be ok. Hutch went pretty fast last time, I bet he won't be there too long. This time everyone will know more about him so he'll get a better placement and be happier in the long run. Who's the other one? Think how good it is that you're there, where else would they go? They probably both just need some good (and tough) loving right now, and you know you're good at that. Yeah, it'll be hectic around the house, but it won't last forever. Remember how quiet it is without any? Hang in there, we'll be here to listen!!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I'm getting a dog back that is older than we thought. The vet thought 10 or older . Anyway I had several apps on her and if it doesn't pan out she can live her life out with me . I like the old girls anyway . :wink: Dave
Last edited by Dave on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

There just isn't anything sweeter, is there? But I do understand about the age thing with the adopters, it does matter emotionally and monetarily. We had to think long and hard about keeping George, but he wormed his way into our hearts and didn't seem to be going anywhere anyways!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

I'm getting Frannie back . Her prospective owners are good people and they found out according to their vet she is older than we thought .
Sigh. It's hard estimate an age on a dog.

It's even harder for me to understand why someone can't find it in his/her heart to love an older dog. I 've adopted two "senior" dogs ("senior" is in quotes, because they still play, have fun, love you, etc & do everything a younger dog does, but in slower motion :lol: ). Yes, I can understand financial concerns about an older dog and that financially some folks may not have the cash reserves to care of an older dog (who may OR may *not* require added vet care). BUT, younger dogs grow into older dogs ...

Both my senior dogs are/ were (a) older and (b) special needs. And both are soooooo lovable ... I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. (Ok, if you tried to trade me them for a puppy, I'd take the puppy, but you wouldn't get my senior! :wink: )

DAVE - hang in there! Both returned fosters will be indebted to you for your kindess.

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

I am not a veteran like all of you but it stinks giving a dog back. We had to give our first adopted Britt back after a few weeks and it broke our hearts. He had been sleeping and my little one was danicing and singing on the floor rolling around near him and I guess he got startled and bit her on the forehead - she needed stitiches. He was a great Britt but was never tested w/ kids young ones. He was a gentleman w/ our female also always letting her eat first- go outside first etc. It broke our hearts to give him back.

It must be so hard to be a foster- letting go and then at times getting back. We now have Shafer- oh Shafer he is a most unusualy Britt. and we are fortunate to have been paired up w/ him.

So from a family wanting a britt to all the fosters- don't give up. There is a family out there for Hutch and Frannie and others that are returned that will love them and fit in w/ the family like an old shoe. SO PLEASe don't take your name off the list-- because there is a family out there for them!!!

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

youjack,
I'm glad you had the staying power and wisdom to know the dog you gave back doesn't represent all our rescue dogs . I've had some outstanding rescue dogs and some that had problems . The one with problems went to the right people and they solved them and these dogs and people lived happily ever after :D It just at times gets rough and we need to vent . Thanks for taking a rescue dog they are great :!: 8) Dave
Last edited by Dave on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Jen »

Hey Dave,

Anita said it best, there is a home out there for every dog, even if it is your home :wink:

And don't feel bad, 2 returns in five years is great - not like me with one dog returned 5 times(gotta love Coda :lol: )

Think of all the happy homes you have found for your fosters, and of all the dogs that you have adopted out that you can't believe found happy homes and that more than makes up for any fosters that might need a little extra help in finding their forever homes.

Jen
Oh just let me know when you want Coda and I'll drive him out to Montana myself :lol:
Coda - our forever foster dog

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

It's too bad Michigan is so far :? Coda might just beat poor Levi up though. I'm a softy for pretty Brittanys and Coda is definately that , growly butt and all :wink: :lol: Dave