To All Our Pets At The Bridge

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

To All Our Pets At The Bridge

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

A Christmas Story
December is the best month of the year at the Rainbow Bridge. For the dogs there is snow to romp in and the angels always have time to toss snowballs for them to chase. The cats enjoy patting at the snowflakes as they fall, and then curling up near the fireplace for a nice winter's nap.

But it is the lights that make this time so special. Winter on the Earth, their former home, is a time of lengthening darkness, and in December candles glow all around the globe beginning with Chanukah, the Festival of Lights, and continuing on right through the New Year's festivities. At the Bridge the glow of these candles is reflected in all of the trees, and in the hearts of every Bridgekid as they observe the month in their own special way; with memories of the lives, and the loved ones they left behind.

For most it is a time of quiet joy, but each year there are always a few who draw apart..
Near to midnight, "home time" on December 24 Charlie realized someone was missing from the Hale gathering. "I'll be right back," he told his siblings. He passed many similar groupings as he hurried down the well worn path, many friends called out to him, but he only acknowledge the greetings with a wave and continued on. The path ended at the Rainbow, and there he found a small group of newcomers, each sitting quietly, alone. One of these, the missing Sandifur, was crouched at the very edge, his stumpy tail twitching rapidly, as he stared at the scene below.

"You are missing the party, little brother," Charlie said.
"I don't care," replied Sandifur, "I don't like Christmas anyway. "

Charlie only smiled. "I felt the same way my first year. Do you remember your very first Christmas with Mom and Dad? Remember the new scratching tree they gave us that year, and the catnip mice? And remember all the good things we got to eat? That was a great time, wasn't it?" Sandifur nodded, still gazing intently below. "I want to go back."
"I did too, " Charlie said, licking gently at his brother's ear. "But we can't, baby brother. This is our place now." "But it's Christmas, and Mom and Dad miss us so much. Look, mom is lighting a candle right now, just for us and she is crying."

"Christmas Eve is her time to remember, little one, but tomorrow she will pass out the presents to all of our brothers and sisters, and she will be happy again. I want to show you something. Come with me."
Together the two kiddens climbed the arch of the Rainbow, and at the very top Charlie stopped. "Do you see that big silver cloud over there? Watch closely."

As Sandifur gazed the cloud began to swirl and gradually an image came into view. The clearing where he had left his family, and a larger gathering around the big, glowing pine tree. He could see the dogs, many more of them than when he had left, playing fetch and tug of war, and the kiddens, so many kiddens, sleeping in a heap, their soggy catnip mice forgotten in the grass.

Suddenly the kiddens all woke up, and the dogs ceased their play and stared into the darkness beyond the clearing, tails wagging in greeting.
And then, much to Sandifur's amazement, two humans stepped into the light."
"Hurry, Charlie, we have to go back," he said. " Mom and Dad, they're here!"
"Not just yet, Sandy. That cloud is our Window into Tomorrow.
Come back with me now, and join the others. The reunion will come. We have been promised."

Sandy reluctantly pulled his gaze away from the vision of the future, and followed Charlie. They found the others waiting for them at the base of the rainbow. "Is it time?" Charlie asked.
Terrie nodded, "They are waiting."
All of the Hale Bridgekids drew together, and looked over the edge, and along the entire length of the rainbow similar groups were gathered, all looking down at their former homes.

Suddenly the light of a million candles from the Earth met the glow from the Rainbow Bridge. "Now," Charlie whispered.

In unison three words were repeated again and again, and as they were spoken they merged with the bridge of light, flowing from the rainbow to the earth, and back again in ever increasing brilliance, and the colors of the rainbow merged with the light. "I love you," they all said, and the love entered every heart of the pet parents on earth, and the hearts of those who gathered at the rainbow.

"Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad," Sandifur whispered again, watching the lights slowly fade. "I love you. I will be waiting."

"I will look ahead for there is our tomorrow."

Marion Hale

We love you :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Max and Matties Mom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Max and Matties Mom »

Brian
Thank you for this . We lost our foster Pete a year ago on the 23rd of Dec. I have been feeling kind of sad over this whole week but reading this brought a smile to my face and heart.
Anna
Max,Dorie,Mattie & Shorty

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Thanks Brian .
I too have been a little down . This December picture on the ABR callender looks like my Angie . I know they'll be waiting for me ... 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Me & McGillicuddy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Me & McGillicuddy »

I am so happy to have found this posting.

A dear friend of mine lost her 14 1/2 year old Mollie this past Sunday. I've been digging around on the ABR site to see if I could find something special to share with her and this is perfect.
They had Mollie I think for the past six years, she was a retired service dog, a gorgeous black lab. So I'm crying with tears of joy knowing her Mollie and our Quin are together now (who we lost six months ago). They are together along with my friends' other dogs who preceded her: Nicoal, Amber and Bunky.
Me & McGillicuddy (m&m)

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I've posted this a lot , but since you are new here :

HEAVEN'S DOGGY-DOOR
My best friend closed his eyes last night,
As his head was in my hand.
The Doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.

The thoughts that scurried through my head,
As I cradled him in my arms.
Were of his younger, puppy years,
And OH...his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge
With an intense "I love you gaze",
Only a heart thats filled with tears
Remembering our joy filled days.

But an Angel just appeared to me,
And he said, "You should cry no more,
GOD also loves our canine friends,
HE's installed a 'doggy-door"!

jan cooper '95

Pass this along to your friends . I lost three Brittany in a 7 month period several years ago and Betty from Florida posted this for me . I miss my dogs that passed every day .... Dave
-Will Rogers

Me & McGillicuddy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Dave, thanks so much for posting HEAVEN'S DOGGY-DOOR. how sweet!!
Me & McGillicuddy (m&m)

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Yes Dave, thanks for posting this. A dear friend of mine lost her dog a few months ago and is still grieving...I'm sure this poem will be comforting to her.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Me & McGillicuddy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Here's an update - i heard back from my friend who lost her Mollie this week and she really appreciated "To All Our Pets At The Bridge" that I had sent the other night. thanks again.
Me & McGillicuddy (m&m)

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I brought this back up because I'm profoundly sad tonight . :( :( . It gives me some solice .

I got an email last night about a Brittany in a shelter in danger of getting put down . I got right on it this morning and they put him down before they opened . I didn't get a chance to save him . He was only three .
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:cry: :cry: We don't want to know how often this happens :cry: :cry: What a sad commentary on our society :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

That is just so sad :cry: :cry: You do your best but sometimes ...
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

emason
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by emason »

I know it probably is not much comfort to you right now Dave, but at least you tried to help him. That is more than a lot of people would have done. Try and remember the ones you have saved and say a little prayer for the ones you can't.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh Dave, I'm soo sorry....looks like you've done a lot of good work for animal rescue and many Brittanies owe their sound lives to you..

Even though it seems tough today, try to focus on those that were and are saved, and not the ones that are lost.

God bless!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

This is one of my favorites. Someone sent it to me when my Blaze died and it resonated in my heart.

I Loved You Best

So this is where we part, My friend
And you’ll run on, around the bend.
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
New pleasures there you’ll surely find.

I will go on, I’ll find the strength
Life measures quality, not it’s length
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren’t you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought
Will remember well all you’ve taught.

Your place I’ll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this … I loved you best.

by Kerri Fowlkes
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: To All Our Pets At The Bridge

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

We lost some very special pups this year, so I figured I'd surface this thread again. Remembering all our loved ones who've ran ahead of us to the Rainbow Bridge.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau