here's another fostering question...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

here's another fostering question...

Post by MaggieRocks »

How many of you who foster have ended up keeping any of the dogs you fostered? And if you did, what made you decide on that particular dog, vs any of the others you fostered?

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I've kept 4 . First one was Pax . He was an older boy about 9 when we got him . He came from Bozeman , Mt. His mom became really alergic after having him a year . He was in the shelter there because his owner died . I kept him because he could look in your eyes and you could feel the love he felt for you .

The second was old Cody . He was thrown away in a Wyoming shelter because he was sick :( , CHF . He needed us and was a good boy . I only had him 4-5 months . He passed with me holding him telling him how much we loved him .

The last two are my current dogs , Molly and Levi . Levi was tied to a pole at 7 monyths old . He was a maniac and tying him up made him worse . It took resolve and lot's of encouragement here to keep him . He was a gift from NC. coordinator . I had lost all my Brittanys in a 7 month period , three of them . They had health and age issues . I was profoundly sad and was going not own anymore Brittanys for awhile . Levi made me crazy , but taught me to be a better person .

Molly was a projest foster . She weighed 96 lbs. You can check out her story by searching "Another Obese Brittany" I really worked getting her down to a norml size at around 45- 50 lbs. I had so much emotionaly invested in her I had to keep her . She's needy , but a good girl . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

I've kept 2.

The first was Jack Jack. He was my first foster. He was in the Lancaster, CA shelter as a stray. He came with kennel cough. He was very mild mannered until he got healthy. He is a "micro" Brittany, only about 16 lbs and small. He has the dark eyes and nose and a long tail. He is very much a momma's boy. But he is a hard headed one. I often find that he has been on the kitchen counters, literally! And don't leave something in that trash that he isn't suppose to have. And I'll be damned if I will ever get him house broken. STUBBORN, STUBBORN, STUBBORN! And he has the little dog syndrome too. I think he has French Brittany inhim so I call him Jacque Jacque Napoleon. Somedays I wonder what I was thinking until I look into those big brown eyes and get those sweet little kisses.

The second is Gilbert James. He came out of Bakersfield, CA. Scared to death in the shelter. He would never have passed the temperament test for adoption. I literally saved his life. As I look back on it, I am not sure he was even a year old yet. He had no idea what a car was. I had to pick him up and put him in the car. He wanted to eat my cats, was not housebroken, knew absolutely nothing. At first we called him Chester. He did not like that name and would not respond to it. After a week of calling him Chester we decided that he should be Gilbert. He responded after 2 calls. Now we call him Goofball Gilbert. I actually placed him with a wonderful family that adopted Gilbert and another dog at the same time. Gilbert thought he was on vacation and was chasing the raccoons through the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night. They were terrified that he would get hit by a car. So back to my house he came. After putting him back on the site and a few inquiries I decided "What are you doing? You love this dog and he loves you. Adopt him." So I did. He is now a troublesome teenager that tries my patience daily but he is my heart dog, all 52 lbs of lap dog that he is.

There have been a couple others that I wanted to keep too but I found them wonderful homes close by so Auntie Nancy can visit them. One even comes to my house for visits when his parents have to go out of town.

So how do you know if you should keep them? You just do. They have a way of wriggling into your heart that you just can't let them go.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

That's some amazing stories. And might I add...I can't even imagine a 96lb brittany OR a 16lb brittany! I thought I had both extremes-Maggie weighs in at the breed max of 40lbs, and Emma is a petite 30lbs. Looks like I have a lot to learn!

Keep the stories coming, please. This is really interesting!

Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Jen »

I have fostered over 40 dogs, and only one stayed with us, and only because the orny butt refused to be adopted by anyone else. There have been quite a few that I was tempted to keep, but knowing that they all have loving homes was more rewarding. I now know that if another one like Coda comes along, I am shipping him to Dave right away :wink:
Coda - our forever foster dog

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

That's OK , Jen . I'd take him . Coda was like he was because Vicky told him he belonged with you . I sure miss both of them . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

I've only kept one, a 10 yro boy with a heart murmur. He was on the website for about a year, and with us for several months without a single inquiry. I guess we got him by default, but that was actually our good luck. We just lost him a few weeks ago to CHF, boy do I miss him.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I kept one, Blaze. He was a senior. He had heartworm and almost died during treatment. I had every intention of putting him on the website once he was healthy but started crying when I wrote his biography. I had grown attached to him so he never made it to the website. (He died in his sleep this past May.)

We have a current foster Trapper (not on the website) who was returned to us because of his temperament. We had his thyroid tested and he needs medication. He has done great on the meds, but he had done great with us before. Time will tell, he may be like Jen's Coda.

We still think the irrepressible Copper will get adopted.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Max and Matties Mom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Max and Matties Mom »

We have kept two. Dorie who was our very first foster. she came to us from out of Kansas. She broke my heart when I first saw those big brown eyes. She has also managed to try my patience just about every day that we have had her in the last 2 yrs. but I would never give her up because when she isn't obsessing about our Mattie May she is a really a wonderful dog. Just kind of hard for her to be the old girl with a young one around. Lets just say we do alot of reminding to the two of them of who really is the boss and when mom talks they better listen :wink:
Then there was my Shorty he was our third foster and he truly was my dog. Unfortunately we lost him this past April to cancer. He was 15 yrs old and was deaf and almost completely blind but he had a smile that you couldn't resist. Shorty gave very few kisses but when he would come and give you a sniff you knew you were loved. We only had 15 short months with him but he taught us how strong of a will these dogs have to live with a little bit of love from us.
Anna
Max,Dorie,Mattie & Shorty

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

I have fostered 25 dogs and only failed fostering once with my sweet little Dazy Dew. She is a very petite little girl but she thinks she is the top dog here. She was so sweet and mild mannered until I sent the check in. Her nickname is little "B" beause she truly is one.
I have been tempted many times to keep others but I would be over my city limit.
Nancy is one of my best fosters but she does want to keep most of them. I've had to raise the adoption fee to her to the thousands.
I do love hearing all these stories so keep them coming.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Nancy is one of my best fosters but she does want to keep most of them. I've had to raise the adoption fee to her to the thousands.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

I'm sure Nancy will pop in tomorrow and tell everyone how mean I am. LOL.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I've kept 2 of my fosters so far.

Buster - well, he was kinda a mess when I got him and once I got him "normal" again, I couldn't let him go. Plus, he gives hugs!!! Really, I was looking for a second dog, and I was looking for an agility dog and Buster just caught my heart. I'd had him about 2 months with no applications, and I emailed my coordinator and said "hypothetically, if I were to adopt a foster, how would that work?" She laughed at me and told me to fill out a contract for Buster.

Madi - she's an old girl with health issues and separation anxiety. I had very few applications on her, and after she'd been with me for 7 months, I realized she just wasn't gonna leave. I adopted her a year ago on Christmas.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Yes, she is! The most horrible of people. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So to get around adopting my fosters I adopt someone else's. Ha! I think I am at my limit though that is until the next one comes along. :wink:

And actually! I have fostered 29 dogs in the last 2 years, I think only keeping 2 is actually pretty good. There was only one other that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted to keep. That's when the adoption fee went to the thousands. :P :P :P

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

It looks like a lot of you are out west. Do you find more brittanys on the west coast vs east? How big of a need is there in the northeast for foster homes?