here's another fostering question...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

I think there are more in the mid-west and south east.

rwolbers
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by rwolbers »

We have kept 3 of our fosters, much to my state coordinators dismay. The first was Emma Rose, our little Frenchy who decided right away that she was my wife's dog and that was the end of the story!!!
The second was Samantha who was blind and had Cushings disease. She was probably never going to be adopted and lived with us for 10 months before passing on from Cancer. On her final day I told her that we were officially adopting her. I still miss her terribly.
The third is Gus, who came from an abusive "owner". The first day we had him he was throwing up and had diarrhea. He had Parvo and was very sick. I thought he was going to die in my arms. After extensive treatments, he survived. I just couldn't give him up after that.
We could be the world's champions at failed fosters.
ImageImage

kw
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by kw »

I've had 7 fosters, all but one from MO-KAN, and all but one became a permanent fixture in my house.

I fostered two 12 week old pups and one of them stayed behind. Titan was the idiot but the cutest liver roan puppy I had ever seen. His brother started telling me that he had to go for his pee break when he was 14 weeks old. It took Titan almost 2 yrs to figure out that he was not supposed to "go" in the house. Titan has also always been a little cautious of strangers while his brother was much more outgoing. I guess Titan chose to stay here. Whenever I sat on the floor to play with the pups, Titan would walk over and sleep right on my lap. When I moved him off my lap, he would just get up and walk back over to flop down on my lap again. He is now 2.5 yrs old, crazy as the wind, still wary of strangers, bugs the hell out of my two 7 yr old britts, and loves to curl up right next to me in the bed.

Contrary to the other posts regarding brittany pups, I would not hesitate to foster or adopt one (I no longer can as I have reached the limit of my municipality). Brittany puppies are full of life and yes, they are constantly on the move but they exhibit the wonderful Brittany character which we all love. They may be active as hell but if you are able to get them to focus that energy and wear them down, you will see that they are the most adorable little things around, that is, until they grow up. Brittany puppies, like all other puppies, are also clumsy as hell and it's funny to see them going the stupid things that they do.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Is that Titan? He's beautiful! Reminds me a lot of my Emma.

I could handle a puppy-that doesn't bother me at all. After all, we survived both Maggie AND Emma as pups! The only reason I wouldn't want to foster a pup at this point is because we both work full-time, and I'm sure there are probably homes out there that would have more time to devote to a young one.

So far, it seems to be unanimous that everyone has kept at least one foster!!!!

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

The only reason I wouldn't want to foster a pup at this point is because we both work full-time, and I'm sure there are probably homes out there that would have more time to devote to a young one.
That's what's nice about rescue....whatever someone thinks they can do, they definitely are needed. Here's a thread from a couple months ago (not sure if you were here yet) that shows what our state coordinators face every day. There's never enough foster homes. The rest of us just get to hear stories about the lucky ones that make it into rescue. The more foster homes, the more lucky ones there can be.

viewtopic.php?t=6428
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Brian, I read that whole thread. How sad, the one who got PTS. And how sad for all of them, knowing there's only room for a few. I plan on filling out the application to foster. but I have to wait a while. But I'm looking forward to eventually being able to help.

kw
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by kw »

Yes, that's a pic of the little devil, Titan. And this is a pic of him happily sleeping on my lap.