The Unremitting Cold

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

The Unremitting Cold

Post by Annabelle »

Well we have been enduring temperatures of -30C (-42C with the windchill) for the last 4-5 weeks. We had 2 nice (-20C) on the weekend when we got out for longer walks but that's it!!

The dogs are a little stir crazy from being inside so we set up our own version of agility - from couch to couch to floor - to jumping over a box, around the dining room table down the hall onto the bed onto the floor through the tunnel and repeat. I think I got just as tired as the dogs :lol: I couldn't find a buster cube at the store so I had to make do. Good thing we have thick drapes so the neighbors don't see me running around.

The only other nice-ish days we had in the last 4-5 weeks were when we were in Alberta over Christmas. Here are a couple of pictures:

Image[/url]

The booties are hard to keep on all eight feet at once. They seem to like their jackets made by their Amma (grandma). The Forecast is to get close to freezing on the weekend - hopefully this proves true and we can get them good and exercised!

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

-30C? I am never going to complain about 19F again!!!

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Hmmm, and I was worried about weather in the teens today in the northeast. Guess I should count my blessings.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

That's definitely cold weather! We're expecting single digits by the end of the week and that's really cold for VA. Guess that would seem mild to you though! Stay warm! :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

Oh My goodness! Its 75 degrees here in PHX! The winter is the only time the boys can play outside. The summer months its way to hot for anyone outside.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: The Unremitting Cold

Post by Barb Wright »

Annabelle wrote:Well we have been enduring temperatures of -30C....
BRRRRR!!!! I know too well the feeling :lol: We checked the temps at our old home in Cantwell AK and it has be in the minus 30's (F) for a week or so too. And in our home in Anchor Point AK they had it in the minus teens (F) for a week or so as well. And THAT is why I am in Arizona and plan to stay here :D :D :D

Spring is on it's way, just a longer wait for some than others :P :P Keep the faith, Mother Nature will relent......sometime :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

Guess I should stop complaining about the negative teens we have been having in MN...still, I am sure I will be a nutcase come spring when I am out in shorts when it hits 45!!

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Sounds like you should open an INDOOR dog park. You would make fortune.

Now, no one go stealing my idea. :wink: I may need it soon if I get layed off.

kw
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by kw »

Yup, a frost bite warning has been issued since last night. We went from OC to -29C overnight and this frigid weather will be with us until the end of the week. My boys are going stir crazy indoors.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

The scenery is beautiful and those booties are precious. Your agility course is creative too. You should be fit by the time shorts weather comes! Just in time to run with the dogs in outside. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Oh dear, you have my sympathy. I experienced 3 weeks of record breaking cold when I lived in Saskatoon several years ago. Yuck.

Don't mean to rub salt in your wounds but just yesterday I was walking Lola and thinking that winter is my favorite time of year. My dog is orange and white instead of orange and beige, no fleas ticks or other nasty insects, the wild creatures are usually tucked away keeping warm. We've had several days of no worse than -10C (14F) with about 1 foot of snow on the ground. Just perfect! (Of course winter is not my favorite time of year when its -30, dark and I'm out shoveling snow at 6 am to get to work.)

Barb, you're going to miss Alaska in August!

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

adele wrote:..Barb, you're going to miss Alaska in August!
:lol: Maybe so.....but we have a nice shaded patio and I'll be taking my herbs in the form of hops, cooling from the inside out :wink: :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

So Barb you are in Arizona too? Its wonderful here today temp wise. I feel bad for the rest of the US and the cold weather. Although in the summer we will head for the mountians to cool off.

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Hayley's Mom »

Glad to see other hardy Canadians in the group!

We're in Toronto ... but up to Bancroft every weekend. Last weekend the thermometer was at -30C one morning and a balmy -20C the rest of the days. Looks like more of the same this weekend!

At first we were a bit concerned about Hayley's ears and skinny little belly ... but she's eager to go out and tear around in the snow and lets us know when it's time to curl up by the woodstove!

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

I like the heat since we get to +30C in the summer too. But I don't think I could ever permanently move south - TOO many big bugs that don't get killed off by the cold. And I would miss the sun going down at 9:00-9:30pm in the summer.

But I Love to Visit the tropical areas! (went to beautiful Maui last year)

Hopefully if it get's as nice as forecast this weekend we can head to the park with cross country skis and do the homemade version of Ski-joring. Brits seem to adapt well to all types of North American weather :D