Need New Clippers

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Need New Clippers

Post by Cindy »

Well, my 35 year old, $13 dog clippers just bit the dust! They fell off the counter and the housing cracked open. Fortunately I was almost done clipping Kayla but ....

What kind do you have and do you have any particular recommendations?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Need New Clippers

Post by Annabelle »

We purchased the Oster A5 Golden 1 speed with a #10 blade last year and have been really happy with it. We wondered why we hadn't bought one before actually. We had been making do with a human clipper from Zellers with Jack. When we got Ruby she was spayed and our little human blade couldn't handle the thickness or her coat. The oster goes throuhg her thick fur like a hot knife through butter. Oher things we like about it are: A) the blade doesn't heat up fast B) we usually only have to go over an area once and C) it has a nice long cord and it is easy to use.

We live in Canada and I bought it online at petsupplyhouse.com when it was on sale and got 2 extras blades for the same price. The regular price is C$162 before tax but I think we got it closed to $150. I think if has paid for itself already - 2 dogs x 3 cuts/yr x $40 a cut!

It was one of the clippers brittanygrooming.com listed as recommended, but they also recommended a couple of others you might want to check out too!

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Need New Clippers

Post by Jotaff »

I purchased a Dremel Minimate 4.8V Model 750 at Canadia Tire but most hardware stores will have the same. Can't remember how much but it was well under $100 Can. I taught myself to use it and introduced it over a 3 week period, starting by just turning it on/off, then holding it near, then touching handle only to paws, etc. Works well and tolerated well. My husband distracts our dog with treats but she is well aware of what I am doing. I like it better tan clippers.