Mending Fences

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Mending Fences

Post by mkilcz »

On Friday when my husband (who had the day off) got a phone call from a nice lady who had "found our little dog Rocket out in the field". Well, Steve just about fell over...it's been years since we've had a dog go AWOL. He'd let them both out earlier, and could even see Jack still snoozing on the deck, but sure enough, no Rocket. So he fetched him home (the nice lady fed Rocket too, because he "looked so hungry!" Rocket definitely played her, since he was only gone about 15 minutes, tops, lol). Later, we patrolled the yard looking for weak spots in the fence where he might have gone through and thought we had it taken care of, until the next morning when he took off again.
This was much worse because even though he'd been gone only a minute or two before we missed him, we didn't have a clue which direction he went. It was just awful. The boys had a lacrosse game and couldn't help, so I took the field and Steve searched the neighborhood by car. Finally, after an hour, Steve found him about a mile away, near my daughter's elementary school. Steve said that when he found him, Rocket just stopped in his tracks and laid down. We're not sure if he was happy to be rescued or not. So after a trip to the Home Depot for a roll of wire, we got busy replacing worn out sections. So, I guess the moral of the story is to check your boundaries periodically and make sure that everything is tight and secure. We have a split rail fence with aluminum wire backing and some sections are corroding with age. We really had no idea that it was in such poor shape, since it looks OK and up until now, the dogs hadn't really challenged it.

Marge

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Mending Fences

Post by StFrost »

Good Fences make good neighbors (and dogs!) to paraphrase Robert Frost.

At least he was not scaling the fence :)

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

WHEW!!! Glad you got him back safe and sound .... twice!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

mkilcz wrote:the nice lady fed Rocket too, because he "looked so hungry!" Rocket definitely played her
They have a way of doing that. We have some friends whose Brittany took off. People were looking for him on snowmobiles all day long. That evening, one of the snowmobilers went to a restaurant and said to the owner "That looks like the dog we've been looking for all day!" And indeed, yes it was. He had been hanging around all day, warm and eating hamburgers from kind-hearted people. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Thank heavens you got him back safe! I'd freak if mine were missing for an hour.

Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Catharina »

About a month ago, I spent two panicked hours looking, shouting, and whistling for Kibo -- I'd left him with friends for a few hours, and they suddenly noticed that they were cooking steak and nobody was drooling on their feet :shock: . I arrived back a their house to pick Kibo up, just after they had finished searching the entire yard -- no Kibo. We all drove/walked/biked all over town. Just to discover Mr. Kibo safely ensconced in the basement -- hunting mice, I presume :roll: . Why he hadn't come up the stairs to greet me when I had arrived at the house and called for him in a panic, I don't know :evil: !

I definitely spent those two hours cursing myself for every precaution I had failed to take (triple checking my friends' fence being one of those things). Not a good two hours in which to be the proud owner of a very vivid imagination :shock: .

Kibo, a.k.a. "The Flying Nose"

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

We have our neighbors (about 1/4 mile away) dog sit when we're out of town. I made the mistake one night of walking my older dogs, Moby and Chena, to their house for dinner and then walked them home. I never should have taught my smart Britt how to get there except in a car. We were in Seattle when he disappeared from their yard. They panicked and searched all day. Fortunately, we had a friend building a deck for us while we were gone. He's working, our fence was open and in trots Moby. Moby took one look at him and proceeded through the dog door of our house. Our friend didn't know who's house he was supposed to be at but started calling mutual friends....a phone tree started. Our dog sitters got a call, while frantically searching the streets, to go to our house. They enter our house and there's Moby.....curled up asleep on our bed. Oblivious to the commotion he caused...he just wanted to be in his own bed. :roll: :twisted: :roll: