We Are Moving!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

We Are Moving!

Post by Mike S. »

Hello Everyone. I hope everyone is well. We read the board periodically but are not quite as active as most of you know since we have adopted Haley and Josh - who are fine by the way.

I have just about all but accepted a relocation offer to Safford Arizona which will allow me to continue my 15 years with my current company. Although we weren't actively looking, this has come to our doorstep and is an offer we cannot pass up. Its a no-brainer from a professional standpoint and as we look into it further, a no brainer from a personal/financial standpoint. With 2 young kids (6 and 5) - sorry Rosie - three young kids (rosie is 6 already....) we can get out of crime laden/hurricane prone - going nowhere New Orleans to 1/2 the insurance costs (car and home), much lower crime/drugs, and no threat of hurricanes etc etc etc. Ahhh what a burden off of our shoulders. Mountains, hiking trails mineral baths vegas aoh yes and some 100 degree days. We have found a few nice houses but unfortunately, the yards are a bit smaller than what we have so Rosie may lose out a bit. One thing is she'll be inside alot with the daytime heating there so thats no big deal.

Let me know if we'll have any neighbors nearby?
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: We Are Moving!

Post by Dave »

Southeastern AZ might get a little warm :shock: . I guess it's much better than Hurricane alley , outlaws and ....

I checked it out and it looks like you are near mountains and the population is a lot less congested . I'd move there in a heartbeat . Anyway have a safe move and post pictures when you get there . I thought it was close to Vegas :roll: can't tell I only got a C in Geography . :lol: :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hi Mike....guess I get to say "Welcome to Arizona" :D We're in Dewey, just a wee bit south of Prescott....not exactly close to you but at least the same state :wink: Even though it will be quite hot, the dry heat seems to be a lot easier to take than humid heat....my positive thought for you :lol: Hope all goes smooth with the move....bet you'll be quite happy here in the desert southwest :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

As someone who used to live in AZ (and who is going back in June!), I hope you enjoy it!

Dry heat IS much easier to take than humidity. Give me 110 with zero humidity over 90 with 60% humidity any day!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

headtrip_honey wrote:Give me 110 with zero humidity over 90 with 60% humidity any day!
Both are over the top in my view. However, I've visited AZ and think its just such a beautiful place. Good luck with your new position and new home.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

adele wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:Give me 110 with zero humidity over 90 with 60% humidity any day!
Both are over the top in my view. However, I've visited AZ and think its just such a beautiful place. Good luck with your new position and new home.
Well the difference between the two is that with the former, you don't sweat!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

Yes I have visited twice and its a beautiful "but brown" area with some mountains and very nice views. Although their are those 110 degree days - its is a drier heat but also there is that night cool down into the 60's. Here in new orleans, after may, it gets into the 90's most days with 90% humidity and drops into the 80's at night with 90% humidity - a muggy mess. There is no doubt there will be some adapting and the days in the desert are hot but im forced with the same climate issues here plus hurricanes, ridiculous ins premiums and crime. Just to let you know, my homeowners insurance there is 80% less than here with LOWER deductibles. I paid $2750 to insure (homeowners) my home in 2009 with a 2500 deductible plus a 5% hurrucane deductible for hurricane damage. I have a quote for $499 for a year on a brand new home with a $500 deductible. Plus if I want flood insurance there - its not mandatory, its about 100/year (homes im looking at not in flood plain but you never know). I paid 1,000 for flood insurance this year.

Dave, as far as Vegas, im at least closer then i am here in new orleans - lol..

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Another bonus, which I know was a topic on one of the forums, is fleas and ticks. We live in Western Colorado which is similar to Arizona...dry heat, temps to 106 in the summer but cool in the morning so it forces you to get out of bed and walk those dogs early. But we don't have to treat our dogs for fleas and ticks.....it's just not a problem. I think we've found one tick on a dog in our 13 years here. Your dog will just have to learn about cactuses (or should I say cacti).....but most dogs are fast learners. I would carry forceps, pliers or tweezers in your water pack....they come in handy.

meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by meteorologist »

Mike,

Congrats on your move! I definitely know where you're coming from regarding insurance! We pay $2000/year with a $5000 deductible! Curious how your property taxes will translate since I don't know if you're in Metaire, La Place, Covington, or the 9th Ward! Based on the latest guidance we might be at or below "normal" number for hurricanes this year!

Very glad for you and your family. I'm sure the adaptation to the heat will be relatively easy for Rosie, but the adaptation to the different plants and animals or lack thereof will be interesting to observe.

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

Welcome new neighbor! We are in Mesa just east of Phoenix. We have been in Az for almost two years now. Its a major adjustment from the nice green midwest but it has its good points. Safford does not get near as hot as here in the valley. There are trees, and mountains and green. Great place to camp. You certainly won't have to worry about flooding here!
The houses do have smaller yards, but since the weather is nice most of the time lots of dog friendly areas to walk and hiking trails. I feel bad for taking my boy who loves to run out of his huge green backyard in Illinois to this tiny little brown backyard here. But he has adjusted and is happy just to be with us.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Moving is always exciting and it sounds like a nice place. Personally, I will be happy you are away from the coast and I don't have to worry about all of you when hurricanes move in! :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Congratulations, how fortunate to have such an excellent opportunity for you and your family. Do not worry about the yard, Rosie will do fine wherever she has “her” kids. :D :D :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and concerns.

I'll be curious to see how Rosie handles the elevated temps. I know the mild/dry nights will be t her liking and she'll probably loungue those hot days away.

As far as fleas, we have been lucky. We put some sand (fill) in our yard and that seemed to bring some fleas. However after a wave of treatment, we seem to have them under control.

We'll keep you all posted as to our status.