A new owner .

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

A new owner .

Post by Dave »

This is from an email . I invited Erin to join us .

My name is Erin . I was forwarded your message from my very good dog friend, Deb. I am relatively new to the dog world (this would be my second dog) and inexperienced with training, but eager to learn. I was hoping that I could probe your Brittany mind with some questions?

I have a deposit on a little orange eared female from a breeder in Great Falls . I will pick her up next weekend.

I am not a hunter, but interested in agility, tracking, or 'dry hunting' training, potentially. I am new at all of these, but think a Brittany and ones athleticism would be a good match for me. I would say that I am extremely active: I run marathons, hike, bike, have 2 horses. I know that not getting enough excercize is not an issue for any dog I would own. I recently owned a Springer...but one that had serious aggression problems. So a gentle temperament is my number one quality I am seeking in a dog. However, I would like an athletic dog as well. From all of my researching, Terry Courtright has had no problems with aggression in any of his dogs and Brittany's usually don't? Do you agree?

Do you think that I would have a problem with a serious hunting breed, given that I have no experience with hunting? Or do you think that given my excersize level and supplementing another type of job (tracking for example) would be worthwhile for a Brittany?

I would greatly appreciate any of your advice you might have for me,
Thanks so much,
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: A new owner .

Post by headtrip_honey »

Heh, she sounds like a good Brittany owner. Not all Britt owners have to be hunters, or even super active. My family certainly isn't, and our Brittanys are very happy with the way we run our household! And we are happy with them!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Since she's getting the dog as a pup, it shouldn't matter that she doesn't hunt. The puppy can't miss something it was never exposed to. I know with my two, Maggie LIVES to hunt! There's nothing she would rather do, and she would be miserable if she couldn't hunt. Emma, on the other hand-she enjoys hunting, but if she had someone to run with her and do agility with her-I think she would be just as happy doing those things. It sounds like Erin has done her research and will be a great owner.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

While we hunt with our older Brit and plan to get our young one hunting, I think we actually only hunt 5-7 times a year. The other 360 days are spent hiking, backpacking, trail running etc. So, no, I definitely feel that hunting is absolutely not necessary....just activity !!

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

Well, hunting season only lasts from October through January :cry: ,you can stretch it out to March going to preserves. You have to find something else to do with the dogs the rest of the year. Given the chance I think Henley would have been good at agility considering he is part BC.
Looks like Erin is on the right track she shouldn't dwell too much on the fact that she won't hunt her pup. It also seems that she is working with a breeder and they should be able to place a puppy with her that doesn't show a lot of birdyness.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I think Lola would LOVE to formally hunt but I don't want to. For awhile I felt bad because I didn't take her when clearly hunting is "her thing". However, I soon realized that we go "hunting" every morning for an hour (on hiatus until she's healed). She is happy hunting without the guns, discipline, and training. She gets to do the part that comes naturally and its clear to me that she thinks we are "hunting" together. So I don't see the need to really hunt.

Lola isn't aggressive but she doesn't like the company of other dogs when on leash (she gets along fine at daycare). I have to watch when we're out on the street or she'll snarl and snap at other dogs. I do not like that side of her but haven't really done very much to fix it. :roll: :oops:

StaceyM
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by StaceyM »

I think that if she is an inexperienced dog owner then it would be very beneficial for her and her pup if she takes obedience classes. Molly was one crazy puppy and taking her to obedience classes combined with crate training kept my DH and I sane. :wink: It also helped shape her into a great dog that she is now. Puppies shouldn't be taken out jogging or really long walks until they are full grown anyways so although it is great that she is very active it won't be necessary at first.

I would also suggest she search this forum for all the puppy antics that folks have posted so she knows what she is in for!! :lol:

I'll also add that Molly "hunts" everyday in our backyard and on our daily walks and is quite happy about that!!
*Molly*

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

StaceyM wrote:I would also suggest she search this forum for all the puppy antics that folks have posted so she knows what she is in for!! :lol:
I missed that detail. Yes :!: get her to look at the HELP!!! PUPPY posts. Sounds like Erin is where I was before I got my pup. Had one dog, was looking for something energetic. :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: joke was on me.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I agree that you should wait until they are close to full grown before trail running any big distance with them. I also warn people about biking with their dogs because the pace is sooooo much faster. I'm an average runner which means that they are ahead of me smelling things and resting while I catch up. When I see bikers with their dogs, the dogs are frequently having to keep a fast pace in order to keep up....especially when going down hill. One of my sitters took Moby (7 1/2) mountain biking a couple months ago without realizing that I don't do that with him. Moby limped for 3 days. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Last edited by janet909 on Wed May 13, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I don't hunt Daisy at all. She is interested in birds and shows me that everyday now, but I take her on walks and trails and we are going to be starting agility in about 3 weeks and that seems to suffice. But I should warn you, by "Brittany" standards, Daisy is very mellow. She's happy if she goes for one 30 min. walk and a few play sessions of tug per day.

Since you're active, I don't think you'll have a problem.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

we have three Brittanys and I don't hunt with them. Only one is birdy and the puppy is interested in anything that moves so not sure. They are totally people dogs so whatever we do they do. I take them on walks, they go camping with us all summer, ( we have a leased space in a national forest that we go to almost every weekend from May-Oct. So they are well rounded. As long as they have attention and exercise they are happy. They are just such an awesome breed I forget that they are "supposed" to be hunting dogs.

elandguth
Puppy

Post by elandguth »

Wow, thanks to all of the replies and advice. Kepler is now 3 months and full-on biting, digging, and chewing :D This website and forum has been very useful.
Thanks and wish us luck!
Erin.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hi Erin.....Welcome to our message board :D Happy you posted an up date on your pup Kepler, and we'll be watching for more news on your life with your Britt :D :D It's always fun for a lot of us to "re-live" raising a puppy as it brings back the frustration memories that we have forgotten :wink: :P :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Barb Wright wrote:Hi Erin.....Welcome to our message board :D Happy you posted an up date on your pup Kepler, and we'll be watching for more news on your life with your Britt :D :D It's always fun for a lot of us to "re-live" raising a puppy as it brings back the frustration memories that we have forgotten :wink: :P :lol:
...repressed, more like. :twisted:
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by DelawareBritts »

Hi Erin - Welcome and happy brittany puppy tails (nubs)....

NAHHHH...I don't hunt. We keep busy with lots of other stimulating activites. Hunting is what brittanys do...all around gun dogs, but does not mean they can't hunt in other ways like on touched on above.

Most of all with your new puppy, remember that he is a BRITTANY :D puppy, practice love and patience and get him into a training class!! Take him everywhere with you now. Have people (children too!) feed him treats while you have him in public...people gravitate to puppies. Expose him to as much as the world as you can.

Good luck with the new puppy and I can't wait to see pics!
I sleep with Brittanys...