We are so sad!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
danibier
Puppy

We are so sad!

Post by danibier »

We just lost our Brittney baby girl, Freckles tonight. She got out w/o her electric collar and got hit by a car. I cannot believe how sad I am and I just want her back. We rescued her 3 years ago and she has shown us nothing but gratitude since. I am writing on this message board to see if it help me feel any better. She was unbelieveable with my kids (10, 7, 5 and 3). She never had to be in a crate, she was house trained and knew all her commands. She was a very lazy Brittney and slept all the time. I can't help but wonder if all Brittney's are like this. When we are ready for another dog, would a Brittney be a good fit? I am so sad. Sad does not describe how I am feeling. Guilty for letting her out w/o her collar. Guilty for putting her outside so she would not distract the kids with dinner. Guilty for making the choice to put her down. She had a broken front leg, a broken pelvis, head trama, and a fractured back with spinal damage. She looked so peaceful when she went to sleep. I keep looking at the floor to see if she is there, in her favorite spot. If you are reading this, thanks for listening to me. I hope it is better tomorrow. I am letting my oldest stay home from school tomorrow and we are going to make he a memorial stone.

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: We are so sad!

Post by Jacksbuddy »

:cry: I am so sorry to hear about Freckles, I lost my first Brittany, Rusty, in much the same way.
They really do become part of the family and to lose one so unexpectedly is very traumatic.
Time will heal your sadness.To this day I still keep a picture of Rusty on my bureau and think of him from time to time.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

That's so very sad. I'm sorry. Maybe by posting you've saved some other dog --- because all let our guard down now and then.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

It's so sad and so tragic - my heart goes out to you. Most of us here have made misjudgments with our dogs at some point in time. If we were lucky, we got a wake up call and learned what we would never do again. There's no way we can give you that second chance with Freckles and I am sorry. It does sound like you made the right decision with all of those injuries though. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by DelawareBritts »

Puppy prayers your way from Delaware... :( So Sorry :(
I sleep with Brittanys...

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

What a loss. I have tears in my eyes...I'm so very sorry. It sounds like putting Freckles down was the right decision. Stay strong !

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. :cry:
Henry

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:cry: Oh, it is always so sad to hear of tragic events like this :cry: Our hearts go out to you during this period of suffering :cry: Do not let guilt drag you down....we all make mistakes and one must just learn from them and move forward, better prepared.

As far as getting another Brittany....of course you can find one that will fit in with your family....and it would be a wonderful tribute to the memory of Freckles to give a loving home to another Brittany in need. Nothing heals a wounded heart faster and more perfectly than bringing another dog into your lives.

Most of us here have lost dogs and know your pain....and know that it will ease and the happy memories will prevail. We would love to hear any stories about Freckles that you would like to share...the telling of the good times will make you smile as well and help ease the pain of loss. We're here for you.......
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Ralph
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Ralph »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost a brit, Barron, about 2 years ago, and I still miss him very much. My sinceriest sympathies go out to you and your family.
I have another Britt now, Abby, and she is just a joy to have around. She is very active, but at times she just wants to be near someone and cuddle up.
After I lost Barron, when I was ready for another dog, I thought about another breed, but I couldn't imagine not having a Britt in the house. That decision was an easy one for me, and I am so glad I got Abby. I will never forget Barron, but Abby has eased the pain of his loss.
You did the right thing in the end in letting Freckles go to the rainbow bridge. She'll be waiting there. Just honor her by remembering the good times with her and sharing those memories with others.
Im ready for my photo shoot!

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

My condolences. You made the right decision in the end.

After we put down Frost, we waited six months before deciding to keep our 'unadoptable' foster. If feels the void, but does not diminish the sense of loss.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear of Freckles passing. You made the right decision and now Freckles is at peace.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

rtropeano wrote:Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear of Freckles passing. You made the right decision and now Freckles is at peace.
Rose
So sorry for your loss, :cry: :cry: . You will know when the time is right to get another britt.There is alot of people here that will help you get through this very hard time :wink: Ron

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

It's alway hard losing a beloved dog , especially when it's an accident or sudden illness :( . Sorry for your loss .

One thing I have found is you can't replace the one you lost . Barb said Nuture plus nature = the dog you currently have . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Danibier,
It's ok. At one time or another, all of us have had our beloved brits get out on us, and we've all chased them or went searching for a lost brit. I've been lucky in that I've come close to seeing my brit get hit by a car, but by divine intervention at the last minute, he didn't get hit. On the other hand, once I was trying to get a stray dog in my neighborhood, and... a van hit it...

Sometimes bad stuff happens ... it just happens. And with Freckles, it was just bad stuff...

You were compassionate in alleviating Freckle's suffering at the vets. You were there for her, and that's important.

Your grief is ok and undertandable. Many of us emphasize with you. Please don't beat yourself up over something that happened.

Remind yourself that in rescuing Freckles, you gave her the best life she could have ever dreamed of ... there are many dogs out there, that they don't even have a chance at to dream of a happy life.

Peace and Hugs,
Kathy

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

So sorry for your loss, these Britts have a way of getting into our hearts! Shelli
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world