Its summertime. Lets get in shape!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Its summertime. Lets get in shape!

Post by Tglaub »

Now that the Arizona heat has started its too hot for outdoor walking, but a 11 month old puppy needs his exercise.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1908 ... admill.jpg

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Its summertime. Lets get in shape!

Post by headtrip_honey »

Awwww.....it's not too hot if you get up at 6 am, though! (used to live in Mesa)
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

headtrip_honey wrote:.....it's not too hot if you get up at 6 am, though! (used to live in Mesa)
Yep, finding that out :lol: :lol: Cassie and I are getting up earlier and earlier here in Prescott.....we were going out about 10 a.m. but are out of the house now by 7:30 EEEEEK!!!! Hope it doesn't get any earlier :shock: :lol:

Neat photo of pupper hiking nowhere :P :P Gotta say, whatever works to get the beans out of these dogs, go for it 8) :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Barb Wright wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:.....it's not too hot if you get up at 6 am, though! (used to live in Mesa)
Yep, finding that out :lol: :lol: Cassie and I are getting up earlier and earlier here in Prescott.....we were going out about 10 a.m. but are out of the house now by 7:30 EEEEEK!!!! Hope it doesn't get any earlier :shock: :lol:

Neat photo of pupper hiking nowhere :P :P Gotta say, whatever works to get the beans out of these dogs, go for it 8) :)
Wuss! ;)

Don't worry, the temperatures peak out in July....but up in Prescott it shouldn't be too bad!

I have to say...I'm going back to AZ this summer and I am so excited. Delaware is pretty and all, but I miss the heat without the humidity! I love being warm, but I hate being sticky.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I've always wondered if I could get Lola interested in a treadmill. My instinct is that she will not go for it... nothing to smell. Does your dog actually like the treadmill?

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

OMG - how do you get the dog to just stay on it???? I don't think either one of mine ever would!! :mrgreen:

Does it ever cool off in the summertime in Arizona? Shelli
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

swillow66 wrote:OMG - how do you get the dog to just stay on it???? I don't think either one of mine ever would!! :mrgreen:

Does it ever cool off in the summertime in Arizona? Shelli
Yeah, the minute the sun goes down!

Seriously, it'll be 100 during the day and 60 at night. Since there's little humidity, there's nothing to hold the heat in the air.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Ohhh, in western Colorado, I have the dogs up (or do they have me up???) at 6AM and we're out the door by 6:30. Otherwise, I have to carry too much water to get them through an hour walk in the desert. The treadmill though.......I can't imagine that my dogs would stay on it without freaking out. I, too, want to hear if your dog likes it.....does he bug you to "work out" on it? :lol: :lol:

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Too hot? I wish you could share some of that heat :) Sunday we spent 2 hours in the yard with the dogs a nice 19 C.
Yesterday and it was near freezing again and I wore my parka to work both days :lol:
It's usually around 19C consistently by now. I can't recall having to wear such a warm coat in May.
I hope we get more seasonal weather the rest of the spring and summer!

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

Phinny loves the treadmill. When he was a puppy (we adopted him at three months old) it was August and it was still 115 degrees most days. Since he had not completed his puppy vaccines we could not take him out to playcare or the park so we needed some way to burn that energy. I was walking on the treadmill one day and he hopped on behind me and started walking. I can turn it on for him and he hops on walks for 45 minutes hops off on his own gets a drink rests and hops back. He loves it. Our springer likes it too.
If I am using it I have to shut the door to keep them off of it and then they are barking and crying at the door.
Its really already hot here. I leave for work by 7am so I don't do much in the morning. At night its warm until the sun goes down. If we walk its late but then the dogs drink a ton of water at bedtime.
We do have a camper in the mountains north of here that we go on weekends and they gets lots of hiking and walking then

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

That is fantastic! Wow, can I bring Lola over to learn from your guys?

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Reminds me of a story of my miniature schnauzer who died four years ago .... He lived with Brittanys all his life (we usually had two). He was my shadow and supervised all that I did. The first time he saw me on the treadmill, he was looking at me like "you DO know you are not going anywhere, right?" :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie