battle against puppy mills

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Randy
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

battle against puppy mills

Post by Randy »

One doesn't merely try to train a dog to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. ~Edward Hoagland

Liz H
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: battle against puppy mills

Post by Liz H »

Hooray for Horizon Foods. We drive thru Lancaster County on the PA Turnpike on occasion and I notice more and more billboards denouncing puppy mills. That's a start. Now I'm off to buy something from Horizon at the grocery store. I suggest we all put our money where our mouths are and take that little step. :mrgreen:
Liz,Max CD,RN APDT RL1 CL, RL2, CGC;Tyler CD, CGC; and at the Rainbow Bridge - Connie RCP (Retired Couch Potato)

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

How nice to hear some good news!

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

Nice! Hats off to Bill Smith and Horizon Foods. Still though, getting people to start demanding to know where their puppy came from and the living conditions that the breeders provide for it and then actually caring about the answer they get is the only way milling will stop.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Jacksbuddy wrote:Nice! Hats off to Bill Smith and Horizon Foods. Still though, getting people to start demanding to know where their puppy came from and the living conditions that the breeders provide for it and then actually caring about the answer they get is the only way milling will stop.
Part of the problem is, people just don't realize where pet store puppies come from! Let's face it...no pet store employee is going to admit their pups come from puppy mills. I know 2 people who each bought their pups from a pet store, but insist they aren't from puppy mills....duh! Plus, so many people think that just because a pup has AKC registration papers that they can't be from a mill.

So yes, education is key. I really wish they would teach this in schools. Also, I think it would be beneficial if kids volunteered at an animal shelter if only for one week, so they could see firsthand what happens to dogs/cats when people don't take responsibility for their actions.