Memorial for Dave

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Memorial for Dave

Post by AuntieMom »

The big skies of Montana could no longer contain the big heart of our dear friend and mentor, Dave.

A small group – Kat, Swillow66, Barb Wright and me – have been having off-line discussions on how to honor Dave’s memory. We offered to coordinate the ABR efforts for his memorial and Rhonda has taken us up on that.

How do you set up a memorial for someone who did so much? He would be the first to tell you he was not a saint but we can remember him for the man he was. We talked about a having a memorial that will honor Dave but yet will also have relevance to the next generation of ABR supporters who never knew him. We are tentatively kicking around the idea of a “Real Men Rescue” Fund to be set up initially as a memorial to Dave but then on an on-going basis people can make donations to honor other men who are in rescue or who are great fur-Dads.

That is as far as we have gotten. What would be the best way to use those funds to help the Brittanys that we all love so much? Please feel free to share your memories and your thoughts, no matter how long you have been coming to the boards.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Memorial for Dave

Post by janet909 »

I didn't know him very well but from what I knew, I think he'd love the name. :lol: I think a fund in his honor would be a wonderful gesture. Thanks, everyone, for working on this.
Last edited by janet909 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Love the idea and the name! I will give this some thought and let you know if I come up with any brainstorms. At least it will be something more positive to focus on rather than the loss. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I really like the idea "Real Men Rescue". How about using the fund to help Brits with "obedience" issues. Maybe provide resources for foster parents to go that extra mile with training. It seemed to me that Dave took on some really tuff Brits - I think this would be a nice way to honor is his memory and dedication to our group.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

rtropeano wrote:I really like the idea "Real Men Rescue". How about using the fund to help Brits with "obedience" issues. Maybe provide resources for foster parents to go that extra mile with training. It seemed to me that Dave took on some really tuff Brits - I think this would be a nice way to honor is his memory and dedication to our group.

Rose
He also helped out chunky Britts, too....
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Rose - I love your idea. The first time I met Dave in person was in the middle of Wyoming to give him a large, male Britt we were having behavior issues with down here. The poor fella was a product of poor owners, young and out of control, but nowhere available for him down here, he was about out of options. In stepped Dave, knowing as we all did the potential in the boy, he took him in, turned him around and placed him in a forever home. That was just Dave.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

I like the "Real Men Rescue" fund idea. I think a fund for "problem" brits would be great, maybe some of it could go to foster parents or to a "scholarship" for new owners who may need a behavior consult. (I'm thinking back to when I first adopted Buckley and was slammed with hundreds of $$$ in labwork and behavior consult fees. I didn't realize how ingrained Buckley's circling issue was when I adopted him.) A promise of behavior help may be an incentive to get some of these "problem pups" find homes sooner.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I LOVE Rose's idea of a fund for brits with behavior issues and also Candice's suggestion of a "scholarship" for new owners. I first "met" Dave online when we were having major problems after discovering a brittany who we adopted from a shelter had dog-dog aggression issues. Dave was so very supportive and kind to us as we struggled to get Henry's behavior under control.
Henry

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

It really sounds like a great idea, if it is somehow tied into men in rescue, else the name may be inappropriate or misleading/confusing. I know it's still very early on in the brainstorming part. Might be a good idea to get a couple guys involved in it too. Tim and Mark would be great choices, I think. Perhaps a couple male state coordinators/volunteers. Not sure at the moment how to make the link between the name and the function of the memorial fund.
Last edited by Muddy Creek Britts on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

I think that maybe just the "Dave Powers Rescue Fund" would be the best choice. His name alone would represent all the many things that were pure Dave. Desperate cases, challenging behaviors, the "do-whatever-works" attitude. His name would make people explore all his old posts, look at things from his out-of-the-box angle, take on all the challenges that many others would just give up on. Definitely would be nice to get more men involved in rescue, but not sure how effective a fund would truly be. I see Dave as "the bar." No one will ever be able to match him, but we'd all be happy to be somewhere under that bar, and if we all stand on each other's shoulders, we may be able to get close.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I think we all on the same wave length about the idea. I woke up this morning (before reading these posts) thinking the fund should go towards dogs that need the extra step as far as behavior/obedience is concerned. I'm not worried about the name because most of the "funds" are attached to something I didn't know about until I read the description. Of course, you could call it the "Dave Does Dogs" fund! :wink:

The other thought I had concerned people/dogs who have to travel really long distances to rescue a dog. I know this is a volunteer job but I can't even begin to imagine how much money Dave spent on gas and repairs (not to mention new vehicles) just so he could rescue dogs. So maybe a little money to pay "someone" (a service even) to transport dogs in desperate need?? I know on the east coast there's a private family owned company with a huge truck all set up to transport dogs. I think the cost is around $150 but not positive.The people who run it are really nice and totally devoted to helping all dogs either get to their foster home or permanent home.

And my last idea is to tie it in somehow with hunting since Dave was such an avid hunter. I don't really know much about the sport or what that could be, but maybe that would give our hunters something to think about.

OK - that's all I've got this morning. It did me alot of good last night to spend time thinking about all the positive (and sometimes funny) things Dave did for ABR rather than thinking about the fact that he's no longer here.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I had thought about all the money spent by volunteers transporting dogs and thought money could be put aside for that. I hadn't thought about the behavior angle but it sounds really good to me.

I'm not familiar enough with the workings inside ABR to know where the application of money would translate into saving more dogs. Do you guys think helping volunteers with transport costs would save more dogs? My guess is that it would be a drop in the bucket. Would providing "problem" dogs with behavioral help save them? Since Dave seemed into straightening out the unruly guys maybe that would be a good way to spend the money. ... maybe a fund to help support dogs before they can find a foster home? I've heard Dave talk about dogs "running out of time" in a shelter... would money help buy those dogs time to get the help they need?

Liz H
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Liz H »

I've tried to get this sent several times in the past two days, but something tells me it didn't make it... Anyway - here goes. One little, forever way to remind people of Dave would be to make the line in the Board Index that now reads "Transportation Requests" read instead "Transportation Requests - Do it for Dave!"
He did SO much good that this is just one really small way to have his name on the board forever. Another real service would be to aggregate ALL his comments into one place as a reference for folks with questions about behavior problems.. kind of an internet library for britt behavior modification.
Liz,Max CD,RN APDT RL1 CL, RL2, CGC;Tyler CD, CGC; and at the Rainbow Bridge - Connie RCP (Retired Couch Potato)

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

Hummm...I like the idea of the fund going to help with training/behavioral help. I would think that it might be the better option. Yes, Dave did a lot with thransports as well, but I would think his greater impact would be those pups that someone else may give up on. I also like the idea of keeping his name in the fund title. Although I like the "real men rescue" title, I agree that if his name was in the title it would get people to dig for his posts (and knowledge).
I am going to miss his posts.... :(

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I love the "Do it for Dave" concept! It wouldn't make sense to people who didn't know him, but for all of us .... what a motto! Every time I get in the car and drive for 3 or 4 hours with Britts in the back, I will be saying "I'm doing this for Dave."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still having a hard time with this and start tearing up every time I think about Dave not being here. It's sort of odd to have a friend that you've never met but feel so deeply about. Well, here's one of his posts that will make you laugh!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7385&p=72215&hilit= ... 05e#p72215