Thinking of getting a new dog

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Thinking of getting a new dog

Post by Kerplunk105 »

So, I've been thinking about getting another dog. I'm torn since Leena was a GSP/Brittany mix..did the things I love about her come from the Brittany or GSP side? The chances of me finding another mix are pretty rare :(

Do you guys think most rescue's would frown upon the fact that one of my past dogs was hit by a car? Or is that a pretty common thing? I've thank god never have had anything happen to my other dogs.

Just looking for some input :)
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Thinking of getting a new dog

Post by Jotaff »

You know, just go with what your heart tells you - you will know when it's the right dog. Don't beat yourself up about what happened because 'except for the grace of God' , there goes any one of us. Could have happened to anyone. When I was about 5 or 6, we had a lab pup that my Mom told me not to let off the leash as my brother and I walked to the corner store to purchase more valentine cards. Well the pup was pulling and I let her off and guess what... right before my eyes. Well, I have leaned over the years to remember but go on and have enjoyed many more dogs and cats since then. Everyone of them a blessing. And, your next blessing is waiting for you, when it's right. Hope this helps.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

What happened was an accident. Please don't beat yourself up. We took Wesley (and the other 2 dogs) to the neighbors last weekend while we hosted a wedding reception at our house. We wanted them to be safe which we didn't feel we could provide with people coming and going through our gate. I asked my friend to check the gates because if there is a breech, Wesley will find it. Well, Wesley slipped out of their gate in the far corner of the property which was left open by a construction worker. My neighbor called and I ditched the reception to search. Fortunately, Wes went towards the irrigation canal next to their house instead of the highway. Things happen. We were lucky. It could have been a disaster....as unfortunately, you know.
I think you'll know when it's right and you'll provide a lucky dog a wonderful home. Both breeds are wonderful (though everyone here is partial as we know....hahaha). Mark and I were trying to choose between a GSP vs. a Britt 8 years ago and got Moby. Best decision ever. The important thing is that you're approaching that phase when you're ready to open your heart and home again. Bless you with your decision.
Last edited by janet909 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Kerplunk105 wrote:...Do you guys think most rescue's would frown upon the fact that one of my past dogs was hit by a car?
I think not. A dog escaping and getting hit by a car, or accidently killed in some other manner, is a far cry from someone who just lets their dogs be loose with no control of any kind. There is not a one of us who hasn't had a close call along these lines....anyone who says otherwise either hasn't had dogs long or is ly......, well, disingenuous.

Like Jotaff said "follow your heart"....you will know when it feels right :D And of course most of us here are pulling for a Brittany to help fill the spot in your heart that once belonged to Leena. Ah, Leena will always be in your heart but I'm sure will move over and make room for another dog when the time comes :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I agree with what the others have said. And naturally, I would suggest a brittany! (Unless, of course, you want your furniture and clothes covered with GSP hair which is very course and can't be removed...)

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Agreed. There but for the grace of God go all of us.

I can't count the number of times Hunter and Lizzy got out. Not because we were neglectful, but because they were smart hunting dogs whose noses overpowered them and any barrier we put in their way. Any one of those times they could have been (but thankfully were not) hit.

You'll know when the time/dog is right.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I would advise you not to hide what happened to Leena, but rather talk about what you did to find her and what you learned.

We received an application for one of our foster dogs from a couple whose Brittany was hit. By the husband. In his truck. In their driveway. She went where she never went - and unfortunately the first time she did go there it turned tragic. They lived a good distance from us (a long day's drive.) We communicated by email, then by phone, and then we took our girl to meet them. She loved them and they loved her. We have never once regretted taking her to them. Yes, I admit that I had to go meet them for myself. But accidents happen and I am not here to screen out good people. They learned from that accident and are better doggie parents because of it. They put up an electronic fence, they no longer allow their Brittany in the front off leash except on the porch which is gated. They trained her on an e-collar and do not allow her to run free when they hike. This has been three years ago. They have become our friends and adopted a senior from us a year later.

What happened to Leena was an accident. And I agree, it could have happened to any one of us.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

We have talked about Leena several times since this accident and ditto to what everyone has told you. This could have happened to any one of us. Not because we didn't train our dogs, not because we were irresponsible, but just because sometimes you have bad luck or no luck at all and s*!t happens. It's terribly tragic. But, I'm sure you have learned something from this and perhaps, out of a death, you can save another dog's life. I vote for the Britt of course and they all have such different personalities that I'm sure you could find one that fits what you're looking for.

PS Good to see you back on this board. I've been wondering how you were doing and holding up.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

Hi,

There are two Brit mix puppies, Baxter and Betsy, up for adoption in Racine, OH. I'm pretty sure that's on the eastern side of Ohio. They are adorable. Whatever way you go, I bet you'll find the perfect match in the fosters pages.

And, I"m so sorry about your loss of Leena. She was a beautiful dog. I think it's wonderful that you want to give another dog a home.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

I think those pups are adorable. I'm just not sure about the Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler part... :?
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I don't know about the dogs in Ohio but I do know that Australian Cattle Dog is a great breed. Our pure bred is 13 1/2 years old. I'll have to tell you that we never put a fence around our property until we got Moby, our Britt. Chena (ACD) stayed in the yard whether we were home or not. She figured out the boundaries and was never interested in leaving "her" yard. We'd leave for a few hours and there she'd be, on the deck, when we returned. We never worried about her running off when we hiked. She is WAY too focused on making sure that the group is together than wandering off. We were extremely spoiled by that. If anyone lagged behind, she'd be running back and forth between the humans trying to push us closer together. She is also the best grouse dog we'll ever have. (Sorry Moby & Wes :oops: :cry: ) She can track a grouse for 1/4 mile and do this thing with her tail right before she flushes it that tells us to "get ready". If it flew to a tree, she'd run around, find the tree, sit at the base of it and "yip". We just had to follow her eyes and we usually found the bird. Boy, if we could have her 1000% recall and bird tracking in a Britt....well, it would be quite interesting. Unfortunately for us, she's deaf and crippled now....basically retired. I guess I'm telling you this so you don't just assume that ACD are bad. They're incredibly smart. It might be worth researching.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Yes, it could be any of us and one of those days it was Daisy that got out. We opened the front door for some reason and out she ran....then she started playing a cat /mouse catch me if you can game and she ran in the street - thankfully our street isn't really busy, but there were cars coming and they slowed down when they saw her....We were lucky.....things just happen sometimes no matter how you train your dog.

I'm glad you're opening your heart and your home to another pup. Take your time, you'll know when it's right.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

I think what happened to Leena could have most certainly happened to any of our dogs and it does not reflect on you as an owner. It wasn't like you put her in an unsecured yard or just let her outside to roam. You were letting her hike in the woods off leash, something that many many of us do. She wandered off and tragedy. I think any rescue group will recognize that what happened did not and does not make you a bad dog owner. As far as what dog to get, of course I'm going to say brit.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about getting another dog! What happened with Leena was terribly sad and unexpected, but I can't imagine that it would prevent you from adopting another dog. I've had my share of bad moments too..... kids leaving the gate open, dogs climbing over the fence, dogs digging under the fence, dogs chasing deer (Rocket's newest passion). In over 20 years of Brittany ownership, I think I've seen it all. I consider myself a responsible dog owner, but it's impossible to guard against everything!
Kerplunk105 wrote:did the things I love about her come from the Brittany or GSP side?
Hmmm. This is interesting because I think that most sporting breeds have similarities. However, I have two Brittanys that have totally opposite personalities and I love different things about each of them. Jack is my baby. Mostly he just wants to be with his people. He loves attention and he loves everybody he meets. He is just a happy dog. Rocket is more reserved and independent. He loves us, but he loves the field too, and he definitely has times when he'd rather be left alone. I love his free spirit. So, I guess the point is that I don't think your question has a direct answer. I think you'll know when the right dog finds you.

Marge

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

mkilcz has a good point. I own 2 brittanys, and they couldn't be more opposite when it comes to personalities! Maggie is independent, somewhat aloof, and lives to hunt. Leave the room (or the house) and she really doesn't care.

Emma is a clown, always attached to either Maggie or one of us, always ready for a belly rub. She's a true velcro dog.

And when we got the girls (each as puppies) there was really no way to predict how their personalities would develop.

Maybe if you want a dog similar in personality to Leena, it might be better to adopt an adult dog (even a young adult)...just a thought. At least that way, you have a better idea of personality traits and which dog would better suit your lifestyle and plans.