Thinking of getting a new dog

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Thinking of getting a new dog

Post by AuntieMom »

I really should stay away from Petfinder. I was thinking about what you said about a Brittany/GSP and decided to see what was on there.

There is a Brittany/GSP in an Illinois shelter. He is not beautiful like Leena but he has such a sweet face. http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=14502188
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

AuntieMom wrote:I really should stay away from Petfinder. I was thinking about what you said about a Brittany/GSP and decided to see what was on there.

There is a Brittany/GSP in an Illinois shelter. He is not beautiful like Leena but he has such a sweet face. http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=14502188
He's kinda goofy looking :lol: I know I def want a female.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Oh, I think he's handsome! But I know what you mean about a female...that's my preference, also. (One man in the house is enough, lol!)

Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Jessica »

He looks like a Britt/English pointer rather than GSP. He has pretty eyes though :P You'll definitely know when you find the right dog, and I have to agree with everyone else when they say that it's in no way your fault what happened to Leena. Eli has gotten away from me a few times, one time specifically that I'll never forget...

We took him to Indiana where some family has a lake house, I took him out of the car and asked my 15 yr old brother in law to hook him to the lead I had tied around a tree. He hooked the lead to the tag ring instead of the ring attached to the collar, Eli pulled once and off he went, the ring pulled apart so he was running loose in unfamiliar territory with no tags :cry: I followed him slowly because of course if you run he thinks its a game. Well he wouldn't come to me and ended up on the main road which was only one block away. He zigzagged across that street at least 3 times, it was one of those rural roads that has no speed limit. The only thing I could think was "I'm going to watch my dog get hit by a car" I was in tears in my flip flops trying to catch him, screaming at the top of my lungs at him to stop when he caught some kind of scent on a fence and stopped to mark it his own. I caught up to him, grabbed him by the skin of his butt and threw his 50lb booty over my shoulder and carried him back to the house.

He stayed on-leash the rest of the trip and I was a total nervous wreck. It was only by the grace of God that neither of us got hit by a car, because none of them slowed down when they saw us in the road. Eli now has one of those tags that rivets to his collar also, thanks to that episode.

Also, being a person that screens applicants by phone and does home visits, I would not reject someone because something like that happened, unless of course they felt no remorse about it. It's just one of those things, and it means Leena was needed elsewhere.
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

Well, I am supposed to be going to visit a (GSP) breeder near me around November. He is supposed to be breeding his female in December and if that all goes well, I would be getting a puppy in around April.

In the mean time, I am getting a Service Dog pup to raise. She is coming on Saturday. Her name is Lily. She is around 8 months and a Golden Retriever.
Elizabeth
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

I think raising a service dog pup is a great idea!
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

This will be my 16th one lol Its nice because they are only here for 3-6 months.
Elizabeth
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

That is a generous thing to do. You must be good at it since they have given you 16 to start! :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

I finally sucked it up and called the family I got Leena from :shock: I told them about what happen and they were very understanding. They are actually thinking about breeding Leena's mom in the next few months. I gave them my number just in case it works out :shock:
Elizabeth
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

That was a very brave thing to do - I'm sure it was hard. It will all work out in the end and one day you'll have another pup to love.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Been there ... and had to do that very same thing. Our first Britt/Springer cross was from a litter John 's sister's dog had. We took Jessie and they kept Domino, Jessie's brother. He was miserable living in suburbia and after 2 years we took him to live with us. We had him about 5 years and then someone ran over him with their truck. I was right there when it happened and felt so responsible. Anyway, we had to call John 's sister to tell her but we must have put it off for about 6 months. We were just devastated that he'd been killed and thought they would hold us responsible. But, sad as they were, they said Domino had such a great life for the 5 years we had him that they wouldn't have changed anything. I sometimes wonder if I could possibly be that understanding .... and I'm not sure I could.

Anyway - very brave of you!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

Last week during the snow storm their were two dogs running around our complex with no owner in sight. I grabbed PJ's leash and went outside...the dogs ran away from me. I went to get dog food and noticed the dogs ran closer to the street. I was so scared because I knew I couldn't handle it if I witnessed the dogs getting it by a car. Finally I was able to get the dogs. Long story short the dogs had opened the front door without the owner knowing because he had been at work. Accidents happen...this shouldn't stop someone from letting you own another pup.

Andrea
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

That's what a lot of people say, so hopefully if I find one in a shelter or rescue that won't be an issue.

A few months ago, in the pouring rain, I rescued a Husky that was running around in the street. The owners finally came looking for her..said she runs away all the time. Our Husky used to try and escape as well :roll: The thing that bothered me is that not one person tried to help me get her! I was out there for about 30 mins.
Elizabeth
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Kerplunk105 wrote:In the mean time, I am getting a Service Dog pup to raise. She is coming on Saturday. Her name is Lily. She is around 8 months and a Golden Retriever.
After working with dogs of all breeds full-time, it amazes me that Goldens are so desired as service dogs. The absolutely worst behaving breeds I've dealt with are Labs and Goldens. I'd take a Pit before a Lab or Golden. My shoulder is still strained from a hard-pulling Golden at work.

I agree with telling the breeder. I'd like to know if anything ever happened to one of our pups. It would hurt, but I prefer living in reality and being respected enough to be told.

Are you sure you don't want to get a Brittany :?: I should have a litter ready to go by July. :P :lol: Now I'm trying to talk Tracy into letting me get a female pup....I just don't have too much leverage right now. Maybe I can talk one of my old friends into seducing her, then I can tell her I'll forgive her if she lets me get a pup. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

I've trained Goldens, Labradors, and Poodles for Service/Guide Dogs. Poodles would def be my #1 pick. They are so amazingly smart. I think a lot depends on the breeding as well.

As this point, I am def leaning towards a Brittany more then a GSP.
Elizabeth
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix