Dogs 101

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Dogs 101

Post by Alifaire »

Dogs 101 on Animal Planet tonight is featuring the Brittany. I'm looking forward to watching! :D

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Dogs 101

Post by Sooz »

Darn, I wish I had cable!! :evil:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Well, they said Brittanys are great dogs! They need some running room [house and yard rather than an apartment], are a great medium sized dog with little grooming needed; healthy; great with kids; and very easy to train. They said these dogs want to please-no need for harsh training methods. They mentioned that Brittanys have more dual champions than any other breed and showed them hunting in the field. They also said Brittanys have natural bobbed tails. They made it sound like all Brittanys have naturally bobbed-tails.

I'd expect a lot of interest in Brittanys based on this show. I think they misrepresented the activity level. Nice looking dogs anyway!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

That segment was filmed here in Florida at Jackie Arnold's FarOut Fields Brittanys. The local paper ran a story on the filming http://www.ocala.com/article/20090124/A ... /901241004
Jackie helps rescue through Independent Brittany Rescue and I believe has helped out some of our FL ABR folks in a pinch. I've met a few of her dogs and they are nice looking. I don't have cable but I believe that the episodes are posted online after the segment airs, so I'll watch it then. Jackie's website is http://s162892224.onlinehome.us/index.html

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Looks like the filming from the Florida breeder ended up on the editing room floor. I'm sure they had fun with it anyway, and they had some nice looking dogs in the segment. Loved watching the dogs on point - just beautiful.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Actually, what Barb posted was the "Breed all about it" segment that was filmed here in TX at Chief's Brittanys. The Dogs 101 segment hasn't been posted to the web yet - but check back here: http://animal.discovery.com/tv/dogs-101/episode-guide/ The Brittany episode is #2, and once it's posted, there will be a link.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Ooops, thanks for the clarification Lisa :) Kinda thought it was a sort of "abreviated" for real coverage of the breed. Will keep checking to see the correct show :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

WV Hillbilly
Puppy

Post by WV Hillbilly »

anyone that wants to see this show, it airs again Sunday, Nov. 8, on Animal Planet @ 4pm EST, check your local listing for your time.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

You can also watch the episode here http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs-101-season-two/, just select the brittany from the full listing of season 2 featured breeds.
Piper, and Bryce

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

Just watched the Brittany segment online. What a blast! Loved the shots of the puppies wrecking havoc.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

How cute! Thanks for the link. Wonder where they got some of that info. "They are hardwired to obey you" and "need about an hour of exercise a day." I think I need to have my crew watch that--they think they need 1 hour of exercise before breakfast! :roll:

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Hardwired to obey you....HA! I admit Buckley was pretty easy to train but they are just as quick to do what you say and then go right back to whatever they'd like to do. They should have mentioned that all obedience training seems to go out the window when the nose turns on!
Buckley - I own this mountain.

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

The comment about wanting to please and not being a good watchdog - that they would probably help the burglar hold the flashlight rang true for me. My house was broken into several months ago. I came home from work to find my boys happily playing in the back yard, ecstatic that the burglars has simply put them in the yard while they ransacked my home! :roll:
At least the dogs were not harmed.
Last edited by britlover on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piper, and Bryce

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Trapper definitely does not fit the stereotype Brittany. He would attack someone if they broke in. Then when Trapper was standing on their chest ready to chomp on their neck and finish them off, Kallie would be sweetly asking "are you here to adopt me?" Scout would probably be hiding.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie