Dogs 101

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Dogs 101

Post by MaggieRocks »

I don't know what Maggie would do if someone broke in. I know Emma is completely harmless! But Maggie....she's a completely different temperment from Emma. She might have something to say about it!

Britlover, I'm so glad nothing happened to your dogs. That must have been scary!

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

Watching it now :mrgreen: The puppies are adorable!!
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

We always joke that the only way Buckley could stop a robbery was if he tripped up the burglar begging for pets. The pups pulling over the trash-that is 100% Buckley.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

My first britt was not a good watchdog. We had a friend who she had never seen go into the house while we were gone to see what she would do. He said she really barked loud as she was running up the stairs to hide. We always said she would lick someone to death.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Max is definitely not a watch dog. We had a total stranger walk into our house one day (she confused our house with the neighbor's house) and all Max did was greet her at the door and wait to be petted. He never even woofed. My husband was upstairs working and didn't realize someone had come into the house until she called out (doesn't say much for my husband's security consciousness either).

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy is a good watch dog - she woofs when she hears something outside and doesn't give up until I let her know "we're good". Funny thing, I was joking around at my friend's house and told her that I taught Daisy cochise (a code word for "attack"). So we were messing around and her father came back into the enclosed porch - Daisy heard him - I figured he already left the porch again so I opened the door and yelled "Daisy COCHISE" and she ran out there and jumped up on him......I never taught her that (and wouldn't) but just goes to show what a dog can do - even a seemingly friendly, sweet dog.

So I'm not so sure what would happen if someone came into my house.....

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Great video !!! I loved it when the puppies pulled over the trash can. Yup, I've heard that noise before :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stranger in the house??? Moby would bark and hide. Wesley would want an immediate belly rub. At least Chena, my blue heeler, would act scary and mean. She's my only watch dog around here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Stranger in the house: Both dogs would start howling and barking.

Lizzy because she wants to greet and wants pettin', Bree because OMG I DO NOT KNOW YOU WHY ARE YOU HERE SHOULD I BE CONCERNED SHOULD I HIDE SHOULD I ATTACK YOU SHOULD I RUN UP TO YOU WAGGING?
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Jack and Rocket are most definitely not watchdog material... Jack would immediately lie down and hope for a belly-rub, and while Rocket would be more defensive initially, he'd give it up quickly if the robber had food. Both dogs are used to the kids bringing friends in and out of the house, so they don't react much to strangers, and they don't even muster a "woof" anymore when our sons come in late...you know, "trying" to be quiet. However, if the robber decided to knock first, all bets would be off! They ARE pretty good doorbells!

Marge

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor is not a watchdog but he is a "Hey UPS is here and they're bringing me a present!" kinda yodeling dog. :lol: He thinks every package is for him and must be inspected upon arrival.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

collegeboundbritt
Puppy

Post by collegeboundbritt »

My boy par is not watchdog material either! He does bark but if someone continues to approach he turns into a wriggling mass of "pet me, oh my god pet me!" and proceeds to abandon all watchdog responsibilities!

I recently got a kitten and I have to watch to make sure he doesn't let him eat his food! He also just lays there as the kitten nurses on the fur on his neck or his cheek, such a mild-mannered boy.
Paris and Neelix