Long Leash

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Long Leash

Post by Cindy »

We've been doing alot of hiking where the dogs are required to be on a leash. We generally take a 6' nylon leash and loop it around their belly back by their rear legs (to keep them from pulling). But on trails, this keeps them just a little too close to us and we wind up tripping on them because they stop to sniff along the way. We were thinking that a 10' leash would be about perfect but can't find one anywhere. It definitely needs to be made of nylon or something "slippery" so it doesn't stay tight around their belly if they do pull. Any thoughts on where to find one?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Long Leash

Post by Canned Ice »

Ruff Wear leashes are a little expensive but The Roamer leash will give you some extra length.

http://www.ruffwear.com/The-Roamer-Leas ... ategory=15

I'm not sure how the bungee will work with the belly wrap though. If you have a Blue Ridge Mountain Sports near you, they sell them and they'll let you bring dogs in to try stuff out.

Again, I know Ruff Wear is expensive but I will attest they make really good stuff. Buckley has they're regular Flat Out leash and we love it. It's lightweight, has a "traffic handle" close to the clip for around town and around wildlife. But I really love the quick release clip on the handle. I can hitch him to a tree or my leg or to my pack shoulder straps if I want.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Hayley's Mom »

How handy are you?

I made some leashes of varying length when we were training Hayley.

Option 1 ... webbing. Go to a higher end camping store like REI (in Canada... Mountain Equipment Co-op). They will sell various types of webbing in whatever length you want. Go to the hardware store for metal clips. Use a sewing machine to stitch the end in place.

Option 2 ... "slippery flexible rope." Again, try the camping or hardware store and buy the length you need. Don't get the yellow stuff - ugh. Get soft and pliable braided rope. Next ... look up how to "whip rope" online for instructions on how to use fine cord to "whip" the end. Slip the end through a hardware store clip, fold the end of the rope back against the main rope and whip the two together. It's actually very easy and gives you a great finish on the rope.

I prefer the rope over webbing for long leashes because it doesn't tangle as easily.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I must have read your mind! Candice got me thinking about high end camping stores so went to the one near us. We bought some really nice (and slippery) flat webbing specifically made for climbing. I'm going to stitch the handle and clasp onto it this week and see how it works. I bought enough so I could put an extra handle part way down the leash just in case we need to grab and shorten it quickly. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Liz H
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Liz H »

When I was taking my dogs out to get their dose of ticks, I used a 26' flexi lead attached to about a 12' flat cotton webbing leash..Worked fine, and the leash was cheap enough to not worry about getting messed up. The flexi let me haul them back to me when they started braiding themselves together.. :roll:
Liz,Max CD,RN APDT RL1 CL, RL2, CGC;Tyler CD, CGC; and at the Rainbow Bridge - Connie RCP (Retired Couch Potato)