Getting first male Brittany!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Getting first male Brittany!

Post by Helen E. »

Guess who's moving in tomorrow morning? A TOTALLY unexpected 18-month old male Brittany! :shock: Any advice about males? We've only had females for the last 20 years. I've warned DH that a male might try to mark things.

At our dentist's office last week, I mentioned that one of our dogs was getting a root canal. They asked what kind of dog and one of the ladies said she got a Britt a few months ago. She asked when do they calm down and do they all pull so hard on a leash. :lol: Said they got him from a vet in Alabama whose teenage son wanted one for years, promised to take care of him, didn't, etc. Also said that he was chewing on things so they were keeping him outside most of the time, even at night (it's been in the mid 40s to low 50s here every night for the last week). :( She says he is neutered, housebroken, etc. and that the vet paid almost $1000 for him (!).

DH is off this week and was laughing when I got back from errands today. Said to listen to the message on the answering machine. It's the lady from the dentist's saying that they decided not to keep the Britt and wanted to know if we were interested before they put an ad in the paper. I can't turn down a Britt that needs a home even when I don't need another! I've wanted a young male Britt for some time but it wasn't going to happen until the mastiff passed away. I even worried how I was going to get one since there aren't any foster homes near us.

The same thing happened 7 years ago TODAY when someone DH met a week before called and asked if we wanted Dixie!

We're meeting him in the dentist's office parking lot in the morning since she lives 30 minutes north of here. I think we'll take Dixie with us, then take the 2 of them to my mother's backyard, leave DH there while I come home and get the other 3 girls, and then let them out one at a time. I'll keep the mastiff on a leash because her size can be intimidating and she'll want to sniff him to death.

Cricket might be a little snappy so I've got some special treats to stuff in her mouth. Lacey loves boy dogs and Dixie loves everyone, 2 legged and 4 legged, so I hope it's a reasonably peaceful day as long as they don't sense that I'm worried.

Sorry this is so long! Can you tell that I can't sleep? :) The brain won't turn off--where will his food bowl go, where will he sleep, how are 4 britts going to fit on the sofa, we need a king size bed asap, etc.!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Getting first male Brittany!

Post by Cindy »

Congratulations!! No advice on male dogs here - we tend to stick with females! But I sure can't wait to hear more about him. Hope all goes according to plan.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I'm with you guys-we only have females. But I'm so excited for you, and can't wait to see pictures!

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

As long as he was neutered at a younger age, he shouldnt want to mark things, especially since you've never had any male dogs he hopefully wont find the need to mark indoors. We dog sat for my bosses dog this past week. He was 2 and (with my nonstop urging), he just got neutered on Sunday. Thank god he didnt mark anything in the house..he just peed on every possible thing outside. I really dont like male dogs lol We've had both though.

Good luck! :)
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

If he does try to mark things, you may have to tether him to you for a few days so you can stop him with a loud uh-uh and get him outside immediately. I love my boy. He's so sweet and cuddly. Big boys are just more to love. :D
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor was a 1-year-old and intact when we adopted him from the shelter. He was neutered the day after the adoption. He has never been a marker and seemed to be housebroken when we brought him home. I did keep him tethered to me or crated until he understood where the 'out' door was. A dog trainer told me that most dogs will have a mental lapse regarding housebreaking at about 3 weeks in a new home. In our case, she was right. At 3 weeks Victor peed once - was told 'no' and ushered outside. We've not had another issue since.

I love my little boy and would consider getting another male. Good luck with your new pup!

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by DelawareBritts »

Rosie is my first love but perfer the boys...Cooper and Trey are obiedent, cuddly, will do darn near anything for a cookie and do not try to analyze whether the cookie is worth it.. :lol: :lol:
Most of my fosters have been boys
I sleep with Brittanys...

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I've never owned a male dog but took care of a friends male malamute, Max. Max was a great dog, a real gentleman and sweetheart and very tall. He never once marked in our house. However, one day we were walking in town and without warning Max lifted his leg to pee on the seat of a park bench. :shock: :lol: I was so embarrassed... its not like you can clean it up with a plastic bag. I told my friend when he returned and all he said was, "well, ya gotta keep an eye on them". So, that's my male dog advice. :D Luckily a Britt male won't likely be tall enough to actually hit the seat part of the bench.

Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Annie'sRebecca »

If my experience is any indication, males are more laid back and cuddly. And Candice is right...big boys are more to love :D .
Rowdy wasn't neutered until he came into rescue at around 3 or 4 years of age, and he's never once marked in OUR house. He does tend to mark a lot on walks and I have to really watch him when we go to the vet, other people's homes, etc.

Annie is from Alabama. I wonder if she and your new boy are from the same breeder?
Annie & Rowdy

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Neither of our males mark in our house, but I have learned that taking Storm on homevisits might not be the best idea. He will mark at other people's houses. I think if he smells that their dog had marked there before. Females are more independent, males like attention and lovings....that's my experience. Don't let the sex worry you too much. Each dog is an individual and should be judged by that standard, not by gender. Hope your petting/rubbing hand is warmed up. :wink:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Congratulations on your new addition! I'll admit to having had a definite preference for female dogs, but once we got Rocket (and later Jack), I quickly revised my opinion. My boys are just as sweet, funny, loving, and sensitive as Rebel (our first Britt) ever was.
Muddy Creek Britts wrote:Each dog is an individual and should be judged by that standard, not by gender.
I agree whole-heartedly!
Rocket was 6 months old and still intact when we got him. Marking in the house was never a problem, but marking while at visits to the vet... that was a different story! He'd pee on anything and everything! Rocket was neutered about 3 months later, and there were never any issues at all after that.

Marge

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

I guess it really does depend on the dog. None of our males ever marked indoors any where-vet, pet stores, nothing. They were fixed at 6 months and our adopted Husky at 3 years.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Great news Helen 8) :D My thought is to just treat him like any other rescue, which means keeping a close eye on him for the next few weeks, letting him know the "rules 'n regs" of his new home, and it sounds like he will need a lot of loving....that part will come easy :P :D Can't wait to hear all the details of how it all goes :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

Thanks for all the replies. First of all, he is absolutely beautiful--could be a poster boy for Britts! :) He doesn't lift his leg, he squats, so he might not ever learn living with 4 females. He is the perfect weight for his size, not a tall boy. I'll wait on a much needed toenail trim, but he let me clean his ears and trim some big mats under them. He's scared of the brush but let me gently brush him a little.

He was scared of us at first but has warmed up and stays glued to us all the time. He is scared of the girls. Cricket has been great with him and she's the one I thought would be a problem. Lacey, who I thought would be great, has her nose out of joint and snaps at him everytime they get close. I just filled the spray bottle and will see if that helps. Mariah, the mastiff, is driving us crazy. He is very scared of her and she won't quit trying to sniff and chase him. I finally closed her in the living room till she calmed down a little. Dixie wanted to play but was a little too pushy. Now she's outside as usual and he's laying at my feet resting. I think we'll survive but dinner and bedtime may be a challenge!

The lady brought him down in a crate in the back of her truck. My first thought was why didn't they crate him at night instead of making him sleep outdoors? :x She forgot his toys and paperwork that has his birthday. I'm supposed to get them tomorrow when I take my mother to the dentist. He has been on heartworm medicine so that's one less thing to worry about. His name is supposedly Charlie but he doesn't respond very well to that so I don't think he'll mind if we change it.

Well, I'm off to see how he does with baths! DH is sneezing so we'll see if that's the problem!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm so happy for you and whoever Charlie becomes. Its so exciting. You really have a house full! I guess it would be pretty scary for him but he sure is gonna like it in the long run!