Looking for a Brittany Started Dog

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Looking for a Brittany Started Dog

Post by DonnaP »

Hi All - Long Time No Post

My (adopted) springer passed this summer after a long struggle with laryngeal paralysis :cry: and George is not liking being the only boy (he always had Bentley to rely on). I have spoken to several coordinators about available brittanys, but my husband is (now) insistent the next brittany be a "started" or "finished" dog. George, who we adopted as a puppy from ABR is noise-phobic/gun shy :oops: but is a great pointing dog and a beloved family dog - our original intent. We are hoping to find a hunting/field trained dog that is also going to be a first and foremost house dog/pet. I know many of you, in addition to fostering, also show brittanys or compete in field trials. If you know of a good kennel or a started dog that is available, please keep me in mind
Proud mom of George (adopted thru ABR in April 2003) and Bentley (adopted thru New England English Springer Rescue in March 1999, RIP 7-23-2009 - my forever boyfriend and protector who started it all)

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Looking for a Brittany Started Dog

Post by janet909 »

Well, this doesn't answer your question but I just have to say that there are great hunting dogs available through ABR. Wesley is a natural. We adopted him at approx. 1 1/2 years old and he had never hunted. He came out of Nebraska originally so we figured that he probably had some hunting genes. We trained him on recall but only shot a 1/2 dozen birds over him before taking him pheasant hunting. He is an amazing hunter !!!!!! A total natural who is CRAZY about hunting. I guess my point is that if you look and talk to the foster parents, you might be able to find a great dog that will be an excellent hunter too. Of course, my brother got a hunting dog from a breeder and she's terrified of the sound of a gun so breeders aren't a sure thing.(It could have been his method of introducing the gun too but we'll never know). I don't think I'm any help but just thought I'd throw that out there :oops:

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Maybe Brian will chime in. He might have some contacts ... maybe even a litter planned???
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

AuntieMom wrote:Maybe Brian will chime in. He might have some contacts ... maybe even a litter planned???
To tell you the truth, Helen and Karen would be the best ones to help about started dogs. When I need info, it's their brains I pick. Or I'd call Judy of Hybrittins, where Maggie is from. But if you want info on started dogs in your area, I can drop them a message on Facebook....maybe they'll come and chime in or just PM you.

Our tentative outlook is a potential litter in May with pups ready to go by July....depending on the all mighty flow of the estrogen goddess, in all her unpredictability. :wink: :lol: Oh, and mine won't be started, except being exposed to pheasant wings, etc. My dogs hunt like it's going out of style. And 6 of our pups went to hunting homes and hunt with no problem. One is making the rounds in hunt tests and doing fabulously.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

I have been looking on ABR since Bentley died for a dog that has hunting potential - in fact, George came from a breeder and hunting background - he was too energetic for the family that adopted him and we learned all about his hunting background from his adoption coordinator - she even thought about adopting him for a field trial/hunting dog...we love him to death and it doesn't matter he doesn't hunt, but the next pup really needs to be my husband's hunting buddy....we also hope that George will get so excited hunting with a new buddy he might get over the noise-phobia.
Proud mom of George (adopted thru ABR in April 2003) and Bentley (adopted thru New England English Springer Rescue in March 1999, RIP 7-23-2009 - my forever boyfriend and protector who started it all)

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

Brian - our area is Rhode Island AND Maryland (its pretty complicated :wink: ) - my husband has been in contact with a breeder/trainer in NJ - if you would check/post on Facebook that would be great (and you will see my boyz on Facebook) THANKS 8)

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

DonnaP, do you mind me asking what breeder?
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

When you say you are looking for a "started" dog-what age dog are you looking for? Does it matter, as long as he/she has a hunting background?

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

The breeder/trainer he has been talking to is Quail Hollow - we got a kick out of their "Bed and Breakfast" program..... 8)

Age - we are hoping to find a dog under the age of 3 (1 to 2 or even younger is ideal) only because we want our next dog to be with us for atleast 10 years or more (14-15 years in George's case)!!! George is 7 - he came into our life at 10 months when Bentley was 7.

I can't deal with anymore heartache for a few more years - the last couple of years for Bentley were tough and loosing him this past summer at age 13 has put me in a downward spiral..... :cry: I know I can never replace him in my heart, but a new backseat buddy would sure be great - for all of us

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Before we got Maggie, we almost got a pup from MayJay Brittanys, in PA. I forget her exact location now-it's been a while, and I have short-term memory! But I was impressed with her. We exchanged lots of emails, and DH and I met her at a show where she was showing some of her dogs. You could probably google her kennel to get her contact info-her name is Deb Rudert. If not, I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

We got Maggie from a breeder in MD. She doesn't breed often, though. In fact, I think Maggie's litter was her 1st in 5 years! She was thinking about breeding Maggie's sister, but I'm not sure if she has yet.

And Emma came from way down in VA!

I agree, though, that you could probably find one in rescue that either has hunted, or would be very easy to train. I think most of them train themselves, don't they?!!! :lol:

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

I'll see what I can find out. So you are interested in both the RI and MD areas :?: Another good place to look is www.gundogbreeders.com for ideas. You can search for pups, started dogs, and finished dogs. You'll have to investigate the reputations of the breeders there. Your husband may have checked there already.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

Thanks for the suggestions :D - I did spend the night last night going thru the links from gundog, also went to the Orvis website and looked at Orvis endorsed breeding programs and also endorsed training programs.....more than anything I want a dog as a household pet/companion THEN a hunting buddy for my hubby. I am not interested in a kennel dog. At times I just don't understand why people keep their dogs in kennels...I realize the necessity for a breeder/trainer, but brittanys thrive on human interaction and companionship - just like springers - I guess it is just my opinion :?

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I'd have to disagree with that. I don't think it's ever "necessary" for a breeder to kennel their dogs. That's one thing I was very careful of with both of our girls-that the breeders had them in their homes as loving family members, and not kept in a kennel. I know it's not always true, but when I think "breeder" and "kennel"...I think "puppy mill".

Anyway...I'm sure you'll do just fine. Sounds like you are really doing your research. :)

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

MaggieRocks wrote:I'd have to disagree with that. I don't think it's ever "necessary" for a breeder to kennel their dogs. That's one thing I was very careful of with both of our girls-that the breeders had them in their homes as loving family members, and not kept in a kennel. I know it's not always true, but when I think "breeder" and "kennel"...I think "puppy mill".

Anyway...I'm sure you'll do just fine. Sounds like you are really doing your research. :)
I believe she was saying the same thing about kenneling dogs...she didn't understand why people do it. She wasn't advocating it. :)
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

DonnaP
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by DonnaP »

I DEFINITELY do not agree in people kenneling - I can't understand it at all :? - all the breeders we are looking at DO NOT raise their dogs/pups in kennels but have them in the house - that is a prime consideration - that they are house socialized/raised, crate trained, used to car travel. Hearth/Home/Hunt (and o yeah - they don't hog the covers when they sleep in bed with mom) 8)