Emma has crossed the bridge

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Lisa

Emma has crossed the bridge

Post by Lisa »

I let my foster Emma go today. She was diagnosed with renal failure last December, and my vet and I felt that her illness had reached the point where it was time to let her go.

Miss Emma was a spunky old gal. She was an adorable, tiny, orange roan Frenchie who was found running as a stray in Arlington, TX. The poor girl came to me bald from the shoulders back to the tip of her stubby tail due to a flea allergy and skin infection. Since she had no fur until the infection cleared up, she loved to wear a child's sweatshirt to keep warm, and would prance about like a queen when she had her sweatshirt on. Once her infection cleared up and her fur grew back, she still loved to wear a sweatshirt or doggie coat when it was cold out. Emma's favorite things to do were to eat, roll on her back on the couch after eating, and snuggle up with me on the couch or bed. As her health declined, she turned to terrorizing all the other dogs here, and while it was not pleasant to constantly have to warn her not to go after the other dogs, it was a bit amusing to see the dogs twice her size race to their kennels when she glared at them. Emma loved people, loved to "go" and really loved to eat. Typical Brittany gal. She will be remembered fondly (and probably not so fondly by my own dogs). I'm glad I was able to take her in, give her a warm place to stay this past winter, a cool place for the summer, and a soft bed to curl up in.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Emma has crossed the bridge

Post by Canned Ice »

I'm sorry to hear about Emma, Lisa. You took her in and made sure she knew love in her last months. I'm sure she was grateful. I know she was ill, but it doesn't make it easier. <hugs>
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

A bitter-sweet story of TLC....would that all dogs have just this kindness in their final decline. RIP Emma....and you are an Angel Lisa.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Awhhh - a sad and happy story, all at once. As I've said a number of times, I so admire all the people who foster and especially you, Lisa, who took in an old sick dog and nursed her back to health. Gave her love and happy days despite how it might have upset your family. It's an amazing thing you give to these dogs and I soooo appreciate what you do. Run Free Emma. :( :(
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I second that. She was lucky to finish her life gracefully and with dignity....knowing love and care. Thank you and bless little Emma :cry: :cry: :cry:

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

I am so sorry for the loss of Emma, but she had a wonderful life with you.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Lisa, I'm so sorry Emma has passed on. Bless you for your kindness in allowing an old sick gal to have loving care in her final months, despite how it affected your "pack". ABR is lucky to have you!
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

You're in our thoughts and our hearts Lisa, you do a very difficult thing, all the time. You are a hero, to these sweet dogs, and to so many of us. Hold your other babies close and know you did a wonderful thing. Again. Take care of yourself too.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by DelawareBritts »

Puppy Prayers your way from the Delaware pack :cry:
I sleep with Brittanys...

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

((Lisa)), my thoughts are with you. I'm sure that she and Orion and Heidie have caught up with each other, and getting Dave to throw the ball for them. Peace be with ((you)) at this time.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I'm sorry for your loss, Lisa. I know you're hurting right now. Thank you for giving Emma a loving home for her last months of life.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and words. While I miss Emma, I know it was time for her to go.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

We just recently got back from TX and I saw this post, Lisa. I am so sorry. I definitely understand the duality of missing her but knowing she needed to go. (((HUGS)))
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie