Dealing with clown hats and boneheads

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Dealing with clown hats and boneheads

Post by holisticmom »

(Barb, Lisa, Mark, if you need to move this, I understand.)

I went to a farmer's market this morning and started to chat with one of the merchants. Gardens, dogs, etc. Ont thing lead to another, and I shared with her about Orion. She then took it upon herself to tell me that, "oh, it wasn't lymphoma! It was this illness coming back with dogs who soldiers bring from Afghanistan and it's spread by fruit fly bites and..."

So after three months of lengthy chats and reassurance from a friend who's a chemo nurse, support from you guys, and a lot of research (everything Orion went thru was consistent with lymphoma, the lumps, the wacky white cell count, the systemic crash at the end right within the projected time frames), and knowing that there's no way in the world Orion could have been exposed to it (and that I was not going to put him in diagnosis hell to do so), I'm just really in a megafoul mood right now. Ideas for handling this if I get in this kind of situation, other than keeping my mouth closed? Thanks.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Dealing with clown hats and boneheads

Post by Cindy »

It's easy to let other people talk you into things, even if they are NOT the vet, or the expert, didn't know your dog, don't have the results/numbers, etc etc. Only you REALLY know what went on so YOU are the only person in any position to decide if there is "value" in what this other person told you or not. Sounds like a bunch of cr@p to me!! I'm sorry you had to listen to this and that the information put you in a position of second guessing everything you know to be true. It's easy to say STOP going down that path and probably a little harder to keep your mind from wondering and wandering. Please don't do this to yourself.. Orion certainly wouldn't want you to either. I am sorry though ....

In the future I'd just say, "geez, I've got to run. Meeting my kid, husband, friend or whomever. Nice chatting with you." AND LEAVE AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE FEET WILL CARRY YOU!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

I agree with Cindy. Make up an excuse and leave. I've found there's no reasonable way to talk to people like that. It's amazing who becomes a dog behavior expert when I mention anything about Buckley's issues. (Oh Cesar does this that or the other.) I find people like that incredibly insensitive. I'm sure they may have the best intentions but they are ignoring everything you've been through.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Cindy wrote:It's easy to let other people talk you into things, AND LEAVE AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE FEET WILL CARRY YOU!!!
I agree with Cindy, some of those people don't now their head from their butt. You did the BEST for Orion,and don't second guess your self , of what you did or not did! You also know that Orion is waiting for you at the other side of the rainbow bridge, when your time comes to cross,and he will tell you thank you for all you have done for him :D :D

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

WTHEY! Sounds like the vendor is just making an excuse for not making a profit, personally, I would not benefit her in the future.

But, I would inform her why.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

And people from other countries bring diseases here..... I can not tolerate this thinking!!!! Who has heard of those dogs bringing fruit flies back with them? These kinds of notions are as much crap as her trying to tell you she knows what Orion went through. WE know what you and he (and hd) went through, we know how you cared for him, searched out every bit of information and knowledge you could find, did everything under the sun to make him well. I'm sorry you had to go through this, I wish I had been with you, because I would have put her in her place. And, it's not only bad enough to make things harder on you, but if one soldier is not allowed to bring home the one bit of happiness he or she had while fighting for us, well, .....
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

amyweaver29
Puppy

Post by amyweaver29 »

We call this barber's talk or talks we usually get while getting a haircut. Nonetheless, you are in the best position to say what really is the real score.

However, I picked this up from Desiderata:

"listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story. "

Regards and God bless,

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

@Amy, thanks for the quote from the Desderata...I needed the reminder.
I also am grateful to every one else for their wisdom. My sister also made another suggestion: offer to 1. get her some water so she could take her meds or 2. ask if she needed a new foil hat to keep the transmissions from the aliens from invading her thoughts. 8)
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Bill C.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Bill C. »

Recently got permission from a friend who is of Cherokee heritage to attribute a word to the Cherokee language. I was in search of a vocalized comment to make when some folks were on their various opinionated rants.

I invented "wafi."

It is to be used in place of "un-huh," or "oh really," or a stronger, disagreeing remark in response to various tirades.

If challenged, just say it is a Cherokee word expressing opinion. :mrgreen:
Enjoy every sandwich
Warren Zevon

Bill and the dogges