one liver brit-free

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

one liver brit-free

Post by MaggieRocks »

Last night, I let the girls out to go pee-probably around 10pm. I did a few things in the kitchen, then opened the kitchen door to yell for them to come in. Emma came running right into the garage (she's actually pretty good about coming right away). And...something is hanging out of her mouth. I'm trying to remember what toys were laying in the back yard when I realize....it is the back half of a rabbit!!! :shock: What happened to the front half, I don't even want to know!

Of course, I yell for poor DH, who is laying on the couch with a migraine. He dutifully puts his shoes on to dispose of the body, saying that the cats probably killed it earlier in the day and Emma found it. Comes back in and says, "It was a fresh kill!!!"

So...we have lots of red hawks around our place, as well as owls. What are the chances that a bird actually killed it, was eating it, and then was disturbed by 2 maniac dogs? It didn't look mangled or bloody-it almost looked like it was cut right in half! :? Good grief..what next?!!!

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: one liver brit-free

Post by Sooz »

Blech. I think it's entirely possible your Brits could have killed the rabbit. You know how fast they can be. :wink: Plus, hunting is in the genes.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

We "USED" to have lots of bunnies around our place but most seem to be gone now. One time I looked out on the hill where I knew the rabbits nested. Each one of our 3 dogs had a baby bunny hanging from their mouth. I was so grossed out and disgusted so I started screaming at them. Yup, you guessed - all 3 of them swallowed the bunnies!! Right down the ole trap!! I didn't know if I should kill them or throw up. I obviously opted for the later.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

LOL! Yeah, I wasn't sure I wanted to be sleeping beside "ol' bunny breath" that night! Now each time I let her out, I have to advise her not to kill anything! And she is just the sweetest little girl ever-I never would have thought she had it in her to hurt anything, much less kill :?

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny. It could have been a raptor kill but then again, it could have been a brittany kill. My three got one once by triangulating and working together. It was sad. Hopefully, it was a raptor kill though instead of them learning a great new trick for their mother. :shock: :shock: :shock:

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

I was wondering where the support group met. :lol:
Orion nailed a bunny--he danced around the back yard with it. I got him to spit it out while chanting, "He's a hunting dog. He can't help it..."
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

I couple of years ago, Sammie found a nest of babies in our back yard, not sure what mama rabbit was thinking. There she was in the back with a bunch of new chew toys that squeaked, throwing them up in the air and pouncing... I "dispatched" the ones she had played with and put chicken wire around the nest, blocking it from the rest of yard, hoping mom would come and get her broad. I guess she did, because the bush was that interesting after that.

A month later, I saw her playing with new "chew toys". This time they were baby rats--so I let her have fun. But she did not eat them--just a toss and pounce, then on to a new one. There must be a dozen little carcasses littering a our green belt now if the coyotes or raccoons did not clean it up.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Rocket stalks bunnies. He will sit forever out in the backyard...just waiting. He's worse than a cat. Over the years he's actually gotten 3 or 4 rabbits that way. Once they're dead, he loses all interest, and carries them to the back door for me to find (also something a cat would do, lol).

Marge

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola killed a bunny too. It broke my heart. Well, I don't actually KNOW she killed it but she brought it to me and was pretty pleased with herself. I didn't see the point of yelling at her, she's just doing what she was meant to do and I was the one letting her run in the field. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to praise her and I wasn't going to punish her so I just said nothing. She carried it around for awhile and then dropped it to go hunt something else. I would like to stop her killing and she wears a bell so I don't know how she managed to catch a rabbit but ... well.... if I didn't want a hunter I should have got a Yorkie or somethin'.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

This thread has me laughing and thinking of similar experiences ... It strikes me that Brittanys have a cosmic connection which causes us to lead parallel lives with other Brittany people. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

This is by far the funniest post that I have read in a long time! :lol: It appears most respondents can relate to the exploits described hereinabove! :)

PCTech

Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Annie'sRebecca »

Oh, Rowdy got his first rabbit (that I know of) last week. He only ever kills anything when my husband is out of town. Maybe he thinks he's the man of the house and must provide for me?
I was sitting outside and missed the whole thing, it must have been quick and painless for the bunny (I hope). It is interesting how there is never any blood on any of his kills, he just breaks the neck or back of the animal......I guess I should be thankful it makes clean-up easier. I still wish it didn't happen, though! Annie has never ever killed anything besides bugs. Rowdy has been an eye opener :shock: .
Poor bunny!
Annie & Rowdy

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Britty (my mix) is my critter killer, but Buster's gotten in on it a time or two as well.

Britty has quite a few bunny kills under her belt. At my house in KS, I lived next to an empty field, so I had all kinds of critters. Britty learned that killing mice made me really happy, so she'd kill them before they could make it in the house, then leave them in the backyard, and point them out to me whenever I went outside. She caught one bunny at a dead run as it was trying to escape from my yard...she caught a few more by digging under the fence and snatching them out of their burrow. She's eaten several baby bunnies...I just accept that she's a dog and that's what she does.

When I was on a walk with her one time, a baby bird had fallen out of it's nest and was laying on the ground...before I could stop her, she'd scooped it up in her mouth. She had it entirely in her mouth and was trying to figure out what to do with it when I grabbed her by the collar, put my hand under her mouth and said "drop it!" She spit the still alive, covered in dog slobber, totally traumatized baby bird right in to my hand! I put the bird up on a retaining wall and hoped it would recover from the trauma.

Britty has also been called upon to dispatch injured bunnies. I had a puppy foster here that caught and injured a baby bunny. Once I got the bunny away from him, I was debating the best way to put it out of it's misery, when I decided Britty would be the quickest way. I called her out, showed her the bunny, she took it and snapped the neck in seconds, then dropped it when I asked her to, and I disposed of the carcass.

Buster has been so kind as to bring in a dead rat for me...that was way gross!!! He brought it in the house and dropped it at my feet! Eeeewwww.

Mostly, they just like to catch and kill flies, and that's totally cool with me!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

DH told me that Maggie has killed a few mice, which surprised me. And he said twice, he saw the girls "playing" with a groundhog. THAT doesn't make me too happy-those things can be mean!

I guess what really surprises me though, about the killing thing....DH raises quail and chukar. Every now and then, one gets out when he's feeding them. Whenever this happens, he gets the girls, who will always find the escapee. Maggie will go to the bird, gently pick it up and bring it right to DH! How can they be so gentle with birds, and yet kill assorted rodents???

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh, all this killing....Daisy had a squirrel once - I do not know if she killed it herself (I like to think not, it seemed a little petrified so I doubt it) but she seemed darn proud of herself.

I went to let her in and she had that big ole thing in her mouth and I screamed "Daisy DROP IT"""" she did - she couldn't swallow it....LOL...

She also caught a ground hog - again, between me screaming all different commands, "daisy drop it, daisy leave it, daisy STOP" LOL.....it finally got away and squeezed through my fence..

I hate that she does that - but she IS a hunting dog. I'm simply thankful she doesn't try to do that with my cats.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F