Gracie's transport thru the eyes of a child

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Max's mom
Puppy

Gracie's transport thru the eyes of a child

Post by Max's mom »

Yesterday afternoon we took Levi on a transport with us. We picked Gracie Mae up in Corning NY and delivered her to her new foster parents in Henrietta NY. We were the thirteenth leg of her journey that began in Chapel Hill,NC that had begun on Sat. morning. We had been warned that Gracie did not do well with children so we told Levi that we would have to be very careful when meeting her.. To our suprise she instantly started giving him kisses. She settled in very quicklyin the back seat of the truck with Levi. After a while of playing tug with the elephant Levi had brought for her she finally laid down and went to sleep.
We had Levi read her bio and then we started asking him questions. How old is she? Where did she come from? Where was she going? Why was it nessesary for us to help her? He answered all of our questions then he began to ask his own. Ones like how can someone just drop a puppy off to die and how are we going to know that she is ok. Why cant we keep her and why do we have to take her so far away? We explained to him that people that do rescue dont always keep the dogs that sometimes we just take them where we know they will be safe. Sometimes we check out the house where they are going to be living. We dont always have to foster the dog to help her. He seemed to understand what we were talking about.
After awhile it became very quite in the back and I thought that he had fallen asleep with Gracie. When I turned around to check on them I found my grandson sitting there with tears rolling down his face. I asked him what was wrong and all he could tell me is that after all she had been thru he just wanted someone to love her. Such a simple request but one from a little boys heart. In that instant I thought isnt that what most of us that do rescue want? Just to know that we have been able to find someone that can love and give a safe home to the dogs that we have either done a home visit for or transported or even fostered for awhile. Levi's one simple statement made me realize that I do this so I know that I have helped all the Gracies wiith as little as an hour of my time. Such little effort that makes my heart swell because I know in what ever part I had to do in the whole process I helped save a dogs life. I have been able to give that dog safety and more importantly love and happiness for the rest of its life. I thank my grandson for helping me realize this. :D

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Gracie's transport thru the eyes of a child

Post by MaggieRocks »

What a wonderful story! I am sure you are very proud of Levi-he sounds like a great kid! :)

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Wow, what a heart warming story. Putting into powerful words what all of us in rescue feel.....and there is no doubt that there is one more future rescue person growing up in your family :) Putting truth to the saying "What we sow, so shall we reap" 8) 8)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What a sweet, sweet story. :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Ok, where's the Tissue Alert for this post? Great story, thanks for sharing!

Marge

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

I helped transport Gracie Mae too. She really was a sweet puppy -- curled up in the passenger seat with her toys and slept for most of my leg. She didn't show any fear when I met her and I truly hope this is the beginning of lots of good "people" experiences for her. I'm sure that she will find the perfect home. Your grandson is obviously learning great life lessons from these experiences.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Oh my ... (I wish Trapper did not eat my tissues.) Your grandson is precious and I hope his wish comes true ... that Gracie finds someone to love her.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Yes, tissue alert needed. A beautiful story through the eyes of a special child. If only all the world could see things as Levi does. Yes, you must be wonderful proud. Thank you for sharing !!!!

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

What a beautiful soul your grandson has.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Great story, thank you for sharing it. That is exactly why we do it, and I love how the Grandchildren and other youngsters in our lives learn rescue from us. It's just so normal to our Granddaughter for us to often have an extra Brittany, in fact, she's had a few fosters in her own home!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

What a great story - thanks for sharing!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F