Bread dough...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Bread dough...

Post by Canned Ice »

...is very not good for dogs and when they eat a loaf, it makes for an eventful Sunday evening. I know Buckley is a food thief and I'm usually pretty careful about leaving food on counters but today the baking bug bit me and I decided to bake up some mini loaves of french bread on the grill (to avoid heating the kitchen up any further than Mother Nature already had). I even managed to bake off two baguettes before Mr. Dietary Indiscretion struck.

He ate one of the proofing loaves and had his jaws on the last one before I caught him. I know how bad bread dough can be for dogs so I whisked him off to the bathroom with a funnel, grabbed the bottle of hydrogen peroxide, shoved the funnel down his throat, tilted up the bottle of peroxide...and Buckley promptly knocked it from my hand and spilled the remainder down the drain. Of course it it 5:30 on a Sunday evening (which means only Walgreens and Walmart on the other side of town were still open) so I ran next door and asked to borrow a bottle from the neighbors (they have two cocker spaniels so they understood). After snorting most of the new bottle of peroxide back in my face, attempting to bite me, and nearly breaking the funnel in two, I was fuming and close to tears (not to mention panicking because I had forgotten about the loaf of bread still on the grill).

I called the vet's emergency line to ask what to do. The vet (the one I like) answered and said not to panic and we would wait and see. He said give up on trying to induce vomiting because the dough was probably absorbing the peroxide so it couldn't do its job anyway. He told me to watch out for a swollen belly, any pain or tenderness, labored or slow breathing, or generally weird behavior but to hold tight. The entire time, Buckley just stood in the bathtub (where I had told him to *stay* under no uncertain conditions) and wagged his stubby at me, not looking the least bit upset or sick. I gave up, wiped him, the bathroom, and myself down, went to the living room, and sank onto the couch annoyed, upset, and worried all at once.

Of course, my parents called at that moment. I had just finished telling them the story when Buckley stood up, panting and licking with his ears pinned back. Before I could move him, *splat* - across two rugs at once. It smelled like a frat party. Yeast apparently makes short work of producing ethanol in a dog's stomach. Buckley was all excited again because he suddenly felt better and he just *made more food*. I then spent the next hour cleaning the living room floor swatting away a dog who smelled (and still smells) eerily like the Budweiser brewery. At least I had one loaf of bread left - I gave one to the neighbors to thank them for the peroxide - and that was my Sunday evening dinner.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Lisa

Re: Bread dough...

Post by Lisa »

Oh dear. I'm only laughing because I've been through similar experiences. I'm very glad Buckley is feeling better and all the dough is out of his belly. I cracked up at the "made more food" because Buster seems to think the same thing. You definitely have a gift for telling Buckley stories!

Passing on a trick I learned from my friend who is a vet and has a Golden that eats inappropriate things...follow a dose of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of salt...it will induce vomiting quickly every time.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

It's almost getting to the point when I see some kind of foot item listed in the subject I right away suspect Buckley!! Love the reaction to him "making more food" - dogs are sometimes such disgusting creatures. Anyway, glad he's feeling better and you didn't lose all of your bread.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Oh Buckster .... you are such a foodie.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

well i'm glad buckly is ok...

french bread loaves on the grill????? you must share the recipe!

Image BIRD DOG

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Also laughing and reading aloud the "made more food" comment! Buckster and Buster, you guys are great! Very glad he's okay, sorry to laugh at your expense, but thanks for sharing!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Oh Sorry to hear about Buckley's dietary issue, but glad he's okay. Feeling bad that you had to clean all that up...eewh!
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That story needs to be preserved somewhere. I know you didn't think it was funny when it was happening but you sure tell it well.

By the way... how is Buckley? Back to a healthy weight?

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I read this last night and I must admit, I was laughing pretty hard at your expense. I'm sorry about what you went through but looking back on it now, I hope you're getting maybe a little chuckle. These darn dogs and their escapades. Just glad that Buckley is doing well and didn't have any serious repercussions.

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Oh, Buckley..... :shock:
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

The remnants of the bread dough did a number on Buckley's gut flora! He smelled like a brewery for days before I finally started giving him probiotics. It took a few days but slowly, the smell of dog breath has returned (joy?!?). He's since remembered "Oh yeah, I LOVE bread," and has returned to his wayward counter surfing ways. Naughty boy. I 'm glad you all enjoyed my recount. It would have been funnier to me if it hadn't been so stressful and disgusting. I can't take credit for the "made more food" line; it's from a blog called Hyperbole and a Half. Here's the link to the post. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... cepts.html It's worth the read. The adventures of Helper Dog and Simple Dog are my favorite part of the blog. :)

And the grilled baguette technique can be found here. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2011/ ... -of-summer Although I put mine over indirect heat on a grill-safe bread stone and browned the top in the same way as the video. They're not quite the same as loaves baked in the oven but it keeps the kitchen cool!

donald
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by donald »

Canned Ice wrote:...is very not good for dogs and when they eat a loaf, it makes for an eventful Sunday evening. I know Buckley is a food thief and I'm usually pretty careful about leaving food on counters but today the baking bug bit me and I decided to bake up some mini loaves of french bread on the grill (to avoid heating the kitchen up any further than Mother Nature already had). I even managed to bake off two baguettes before Mr. Dietary Indiscretion struck.

He ate one of the proofing loaves and had his jaws on the last one before I caught him. I know how bad bread dough can be for dogs so I whisked him off to the bathroom with a funnel, grabbed the bottle of hydrogen peroxide, shoved the funnel down his throat, tilted up the bottle of peroxide...and Buckley promptly knocked it from my hand and spilled the remainder down the drain. Of course it it 5:30 on a Sunday evening (which means only Walgreens and Walmart on the other side of town were still open) so I ran next door and asked to borrow a bottle from the neighbors (they have two cocker spaniels so they understood). After snorting most of the new bottle of peroxide back in my face, attempting to bite me, and nearly breaking the funnel in two, I was fuming and close to tears (not to mention panicking because I had forgotten about the loaf of bread still on the grill).

I called the vet's emergency line to ask what to do. The vet (the one I like) answered and said not to panic and we would wait and see. He said give up on trying to induce vomiting because the dough was probably absorbing the peroxide so it couldn't do its job anyway. He told me to watch out for a swollen belly, any pain or tenderness, labored or slow breathing, or generally weird behavior but to hold tight. The entire time, Buckley just stood in the bathtub (where I had told him to *stay* under no uncertain conditions) and wagged his stubby at me, not looking the least bit upset or sick. I gave up, wiped him, the bathroom, and myself down, went to the living room, and sank onto the couch annoyed, upset, and worried all at once.

Of course, my parents called at that moment. I had just finished telling them the story when Buckley stood up, panting and licking with his ears pinned back. Before I could move him, *splat* - across two rugs at once. It smelled like a frat party. Yeast apparently makes short work of producing ethanol in a dog's stomach. Buckley was all excited again because he suddenly felt better and he just *made more food*. I then spent the next hour cleaning the living room floor swatting away a dog who smelled (and still smells) eerily like the Budweiser brewery. At least I had one loaf of bread left - I gave one to the neighbors to thank them for the peroxide - and that was my Sunday evening dinner.
great way to spend your Sunday