SKUNKS!!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

SKUNKS!!

Post by holisticmom »

We have a pile of scrap wood from building our current house in a far corner of the yard.
I was out with Oakley a few mornings ago. A mama and two baby skunks sat on top of the pile. :shock:
Very calmly and slowly, I told Oakley "leave it" and backed up with him. He left them alone.
I gave thanks to The Dog Goddess, gave Oakley some chicken for breakfast, and had chocolate with mine.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: SKUNKS!!

Post by Barb Wright »

:lol: :lol: At least that skunk story has a non-aromatic ending :P Chicken sounds like the perfect reward for not escalating the encounter....ooooh, yes, chocolate works too :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I hate walking Lola in the dusk because I'm always afraid there is a skunk at the side of the road that I can't see. We ran into one just the other day. Lola clearly knew it was there. I could just make out the dark creature.

Glad to hear you both escaped unscathed!

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Yikes!! Good boy Oakley!! And good job Fran for all the training you've done with him. He's turning into a great boy there, and chicken for him sounds well deserved.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

tphutch
Puppy

Post by tphutch »

Unfortunately Kona wasn't so lucky last summer. We came home from a night out and took her out to go to the bathroom. There's a dumpster in the alley where I throw the bags and the skunk was under it. She saw it well before I did and it got her. Of course it was quite late, and the evening out had involved a glass of wine (or more likely 8...). We bathed her as well as we could which is the wrong thing to do but we didn't have any other option. Took a few weeks for the smell to get out of the house.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I saw the title and immediately thought "uh-oh Oakley." Instead I got a happy ending. :D

I agree with Kat you have done a great job with him. He is not what you expected but he has turned out to be one great boy.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

You have done a great job with him and just think ... if Oakley had been a Brittany he WOULD have gotten sprayed by the skunk! :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

donald
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by donald »

holisticmom wrote:We have a pile of scrap wood from building our current house in a far corner of the yard.
I was out with Oakley a few mornings ago. A mama and two baby skunks sat on top of the pile. :shock:
Very calmly and slowly, I told Oakley "leave it" and backed up with him. He left them alone.
I gave thanks to The Dog Goddess, gave Oakley some chicken for breakfast, and had chocolate with mine.

The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland
Praise be to the Dog Goddess