Another pup-date (new pics added)

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Lisa

Another pup-date (new pics added)

Post by Lisa »

Sigh - when will I learn?

On Thursday night, I taught Charm to ring a desk bell...my intention was to teach her to ring the bell, and then have her ring it to go outside to potty, rather than scratching at the door as she had been doing. With her little feet and tiny nails, I don't always hear her scratch. So...one 10 minute session, and she's consistantly ringing the bell. Friday night, I put the bell by the back door, and asked her to ring it before I'd let her outside. Today, since I was totally free to watch Charm, I wouldn't even go to the back door until she either accidentally or intentionally touched the bell in some way. Throughout the day, that has progressed to her ringing the bell to go out. However....Charm likes to be outside....so now she's ringing the danged bell all the time, so she can go out and play! It's driving me crazy!!! I guess I got what I asked for. She's ringing the bell to go out...but does she have to do it all the time?! Since we're still working on house training, I don't want to ignore her request to go outside and risk an accident, so that means every time I hear the bell, I'm rushing to the door and taking her outside. Most of the time, she does potty, but she also plays and lays in the grass and finds a spot to dig...well, you get the idea.

Charm is doing great, and she's the bestest puppy EVER. :D She's been super good about only chewing on dog stuff...except my laptop cord, which she's obsessed with! She's great about going in to her crate and has started running to it when I say "kennel." She's learning to let me look at her teeth, stand on a grooming table, and have her feet handled. She's nearly fearless, and the only thing so far that's spooked her is some kids walking by and bouncing a basketball on the other side of my fence. We're supposed to have much cooler temperatures this week, so I think I'm going to take her for some short walks around the neighborhood.

No new pics right now...I need to get busy and take some! She's just keeping me so busy! She is growing so very fast! She's gained 4 pounds in 3 weeks, and I think she's grown around 3 inches. Her legs seem to be growing daily!!!!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Another pup-date

Post by rtropeano »

As soon as you said "bell" and "potty" I knew it'd be trouble. I've taught Daisy to use a potty bell and of course she abuses it - I really don't think they understand that it's supposed to be "potty bells" and not the "I just want to go outside and fart around so I'll ring the bell".....

I'm glad Charm's a winner...you got a good pupster there - but I have to say, I'm waiting for her to be a naughty little brittany girl......... LOL.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Love the Charm stories! I've only taught one dog to ring a bell, but she was almost a year old (and not a Brittany) so she did pretty well. I can just picture you and Charm in and out all day long...... Are any of the others trying to do it too now?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

kat wrote: Are any of the others trying to do it too now?
Buster is ringing the bell too. I didn't intend to teach him, because he barks to go out and that works for me. Last night, I was showing my Mom how Charm can ring the bell. Buster was watching me, and saw me set the bell down in front of Charm. I do so much shaping with Buster, that he's learned to just interact with anything I put in front of him. So, he sees me set a new object on the ground, so he runs over and pokes it with his nose before Charm can do anything. The bell rings, so I told him "good" and gave him a cookie. Three repetitions later, Buster and Charm are competing to see who can ring the bell first. It was very amusing! Buster doesn't care that it gets him outside...he knows a bark will work for that. He mostly just doesn't want Charm to get the attention that ringing the bell brings.
rtropeano wrote:but I have to say, I'm waiting for her to be a naughty little brittany girl......... LOL.
Ya know, she's really just been very good so far!! She's been a bit naughty about digging in the yard, and pestering Madi. She's climbed in to Buster's crate, torn a hole in his bed and started to de-stuff it. But, that's it. She really hasn't been very naughty at all. Typical puppy stuff. She was on her hind feet checking out the counters the other day, but she got scolded and hasn't tried it since.
Image Image RIP Madi

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Buster! I can see him doing that! BTW, you need to update your sig pic!!!

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

teeeehee.. I'm sure she's really cute and fun to have around. I think it's funny Buster wants to get in on the action...
Rose

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

On the not-so-serious side, the bell sounds like more fun than bother.

On the serious side, you praise Charm when she -does- potty? Try scolding a little when she doesn't? See if she can distinguish differing stimulus/response.

How about a video of Charm with a Buster Cube? :-) :-) :-)

Best,
P
Lovable furry rascal
<How to display second pic???><message for second pic>

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Such happy stories, Lisa. Charm sounds like such a sweet girl. A puppy to be sure but sweet. And I just cracked up about Buster and the bell.

CharLee is the only one here who rings the bell to go outside. We never worked with her on it but she has figured out that it accompanies the door and seems quite pleased with herself when she makes it ring.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

If our dogs were trained to a bell it would NEVER EVER stop ringing!! But what smart dogs you have.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

maybe take the bell outside with you and ring it when she is about to go potty? and praise and treats after of course. She is such a cutie... I got my tessie as a rescue so i'm living the puppy life through your stories!!!

Image BIRD DOG

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Love the new pic Lisa!

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Puddin Man wrote:On the serious side, you praise Charm when she -does- potty? Try scolding a little when she doesn't? See if she can distinguish differing stimulus/response.

How about a video of Charm with a Buster Cube?
I don't actually mind that she's ringing it just to go outside and not potty...she's still working on the "go outside to potty" concept! Yes I praise her when she does potty. I want her to like going outside to play, so I don't really want to discourage that. However, if she goes out and plays and doesn't potty after a few minutes, and I think she needs to, she is getting picked up and taken to her crate for a bit, then we try again.
AuntieMom wrote:Such happy stories, Lisa. Charm sounds like such a sweet girl. A puppy to be sure but sweet. And I just cracked up about Buster and the bell.
Charm is really sweet. And, like CharLee, she seems quite proud of herself when she rings the bell
Cindy wrote:If our dogs were trained to a bell it would NEVER EVER stop ringing!! But what smart dogs you have.
LOL. Thanks. Britty is too good to ring bells, and Madi is deaf and senile. But Buster thinks it's a new game and Charm is just so proud of herself.
JSANTA26 wrote:She is such a cutie... I got my tessie as a rescue so i'm living the puppy life through your stories!!!
Thanks. She's my first puppy, so I'm having fun!
kat wrote:Love the new pic Lisa!
:D You were right - I needed to update my sig. I don't have a close-up head shot of Charm like I do the others, though. I'll have to try and get one.
Image Image RIP Madi

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Of course she wants to go out and play...she's a puppy! I'm jealous that she isn't the devil incarnate. You really aren't getting the full puppy experience :wink: :lol:

Well, when the bell rings you can send Buster and Charm out to play. Perfect.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

adele wrote: I'm jealous that she isn't the devil incarnate. You really aren't getting the full puppy experience :wink: :lol:
Give her time, she's female, she's a Brittany..
:twisted:

LoL

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

Our solution to the bell delimma (we had similar enthusiasm problems with Ripley) was to use two different doors. The door with the bell was the potty door and she only went out that door on a leash for a quick potty only trip, no play. The back door opens directly into the fenced part of the yard. We go out that door leash free and it was a play first (potty whenever) trip. We eventually dropped the bells, but still use the 2 different doors to cue what kind of a trip it is. Leash and side door means hurry up and get busy, back yard is a free for all. We can tell why Chuck wants to go out by what door he goes to. Back door is to stare at the neighbor's cat, side door is, "I gotta go!"
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still