Prayers/Positive thoughts needed for Ginger

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Prayers/Positive thoughts needed for Ginger

Post by Cindy »

Excellent news - still keeping all paws and fingers crossed for you.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I didn't see this posting until now. I'm so glad the surgery went well. I'll keep her in my thoughts until we know that her liver is okay.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Whew, sigh of relief.....so far so good, hoping for continued good reports.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Sending positive thoughts your way for continued good news!
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Any news on Ginger? Is she home with you?

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

So glad to know Ginger made it through surgery ok. I will think positive thoughts with you. Kisses and hugs to Ginger from the Nebraska brittanys and me.

(Sorry not to have posted sooner, I have been out of town and not on my computer.)
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

gingersnap
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by gingersnap »

Ginger was able to come home on Thursday afternoon, sore and tired but glimmers of her happy little self. Friday morning she was better but her tummy iwas pretty bruised. By friday afternnoon she was prancing around and I'm trying to keep her from jumpimg on the bed, the couch, the wood pile, (little critters live there you know) She was a bit uncomfortable last night but after her meds she was better.

She seemed almost normal this morning and I had vet appt to double check everthing and this is where it gets really really hard. The biopsy results were back early and it's not good news. It was an hermangeo (sp) sarcoma that has already spread to her liver. I am devastated, especially because she seems to be bouncing back so quickly from the surgery. I guess it's the type of cancer that doesn't really show any symptoms until it's advanced. We are looking a some very limited options but the advice I got today was to enjoy the time and really focus on quality nutrition to help support the liver. I am at a loss tonight but ready to start researching tomorrow. This is so hard because tonight she is back to normal, wagging and happy, taking toys away from Jackson and scarfing her dinner down. I am trying not to let her pick up on how upset I am but I'm sure she knows

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this news. :cry: :cry: I'm sure it's doubly hard to take in when she seems to be doing so well. At least you've given her that quality of life time for now. I'm sure Barb will be able to give some good suggestions about nutrition. Please keep us posted.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Catherine, I am so sorry. How hard this must be, we're all pulling for Ginger. I will keep you both in my prayers, keep us posted.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Oh Catherine, I read your post with tears and my heart is breaking for you. Like Cindy, I immediately thought of Barb because she always has good information. Big hugs to you.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

Catherine,

We're crying with you and are with you in spirit as you deal with this. Please give Ginger a kiss for me.
ll
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh such very sad news. Keep your spirits up for the good days that remain and make the most of them.

I am heartened that your Vet realizes that you still can help by providing good nutrition, food with nutrients that help the body fight back. You may not be able at this stage to change the outcome, but you can help put up a good fight. Here is some good information for you as you are doing your research:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/cancer.html

http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html

And one of the helpful nutrients you can add to the diet is Milk Thistle....this is an herb that is highly supportive of the liver and helps with regeneration. Not a magic bullet, but certainly a tool that helps the body in this battle.

I hope you will keep us updated on what your learn and what you decide to do during this crisis....we all can learn from your experiences. Paws crossed for Ginger to continue feeling good, and hopefully there will be progress on the positive side.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'm so sorry to hear Ginger's diagnosis. Hemangiosarcoma is a terrible cancer. We lost our Henry to it in 2008. There is a Yahoo! Group called "TheSumnerFoundation" that's dedicated to support and information about hemangiosarcoma. There are two groups - one is listed as "SumnerFoundationSupport" and doesn't have much activity. The other is "TheSumnerFoundation" and has a lot of activity along with many files and links with great information. I'd recommend checking it out. Unfortunately, as you've already been told by your vet, there are not a lot of traditional treatment options for this cancer. I'd also suggest making an appointment with a holistic vet if there's one in your area. We saw one after Henry was diagnosed and she was able to advise us about diet and dietary/herbal supplements we ended up giving him. We had him on Yunan Baio (sp), a Chinese herb that's supposed to help stop bleeding, and a probiotic. She also had us switch his diet to grain-free. We didn't take any drastic measures with Henry but it helped us feel better to be able to do a little to try to make him comfortable and happy.

Again, I am so very sorry. I'll be thinking of you and Ginger. Give her lots of hugs and kisses.
Henry

Humphrey's Mom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Humphrey's Mom »

I am glad the surgery went well even though the test results were not good. We will keep our fingers and paws crossed for Ginger. It is amazing how dogs can be so happy so matter what the vet says.... they know how to live everyday to its fullest.

Mary

gingersnap
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by gingersnap »

Thanks for all the kind words and support. It means so much to me and to Ginger. It is still a gignantic shock but I am committed to goiving her the best shot possible. Thanks for all the links and resource suggestions, it is a huge help. Ginger is back to normal and incredibly bored with the restricited activity regimen. She was not happy when I took Jackson out for a walk today and let me know. She has never been the biggest snuggle bug and I thinks she finds all the extra hugs and kisses annoying. She 'd much rather be chasing some little creature.