Slow Eater

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Erin
Puppy

Slow Eater

Post by Erin »

Our pup Brady (nearly 5 months old) is really, really slow about eating his food. Like really, slow. It took him two hours to finally eat his breakfast this morning and there was still about 1/3c left in his bowl. Last nights dinner took about an hour total. He just takes his time, walks away for a while, comes back to get more and repeats that process over and over. He also seems to be picking up the kibble one at a time which of course is taking forever.

I guess this really isn't a problem except that today he hadn't finished eating by the time we needed to leave the house and head to doggy daycare where I am certain he will burn a ton of calories. I figured if he had a morning where he didn't get much he'd be ravenous when he got home but the last two times this happened he really hasn't been. It's like he doesn't care about food. I have never had a dog who cared so little about food. It's so strange! :shock: I worry he's getting a bit skinny and he's way too active to not eat.

Has anyone else ever run into this? Did you supplement with wet food to make it more interesting? Any other tricks?

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Slow Eater

Post by StFrost »

Unless it is chicken liver, Sammie is a very slow eater: a few bites, leaves, come back, etc.
We also give her canned pumpkin, when it is very fresh, she inhales her food, but as the days go by, she is back to the same routine.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

It sounds like a few things going on here....one, he's eating slow because he can. If you want to speed up his eating habits then give him a certain amount of time to eat, say 10-15 minutes, then pick up the food and put it away until the next meal time. It won't take him very long to figure out he needs to eat faster if he wants all of it. Two, you may be feeding too much food, though if he is losing weight then you certainly do not want to cut down on the amount, which leads me to my third thought.....the food is not enticing. If you are feeding a dry kibble I would suggest you change brands, change the protein source, and go grain-free if you are not already. Plus, pick up some cans of 95% meat dog food, put a couple serving spoon size amounts on the dry kibble, mix in a little water to make a gravy out of the canned food and mix it with the dry kibble. See if that doesn't spark up his interest a bit. There are lots of things you can add to spice up the dry kibble and make it more interesting and enticing....meat leftovers, cottage cheese, a scrambled egg (or beaten raw egg), tuna juice with a few bites of the tuna, other canned fish like mackeral, you get the idea. A lot of a dogs' interest in food begins with what the nose detects first.

Most of us find that because of living routines it matters that our dogs eat their meal when it is put down....and it is quite normal for a dog to bolt their food so slow eating is really not exactly the usual. Anyway, try a few of these ideas and see how it goes. Let us know what works, we can all learn from the experiences of others :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Erin
Puppy

Post by Erin »

Thank you both for your comments. It's so nice to come to a place where people are willing to help and know what you're talking about.

I discovered last night that he'll happily eat the entire bowl if it's got just a bit of water in it. I now suspect his adult teeth are coming in and might be bothering him a little. I guess I'll just watch that and go back to all dry when he's not bothered by it. I do like the idea of a little cottage cheese or pumpkin to entice him a bit more because he's still a little slow poke.

I've had Cocker Spaniels, Lhasa Apsos, and labs and I've never known a dog who cares so little for food in general. Training was a challenge until we discovered that he likes string cheese, otherwise he just gets bored with treats. String cheese has changed out lives :)

bigmamatx
Puppy

Post by bigmamatx »

My oldest Britt Tater, was a very slow eater as a puppy. She would graze on her portion all day. When she was around a year old, someone suggested I crate her with her food, and give her 10 minutes or so to eat. If she didn't eat it, nothing until the next meal. Tater wasn't gaining or loosing, so I was a little uncomfortable setting a time limit on her eating. But since I had a new puppy (another Britt), I didn't want to start having trouble with the pup eating her food. I started the process with both dogs. The pup ate her portion right away, while It took Tater only a day or two to figure it out. Now they both happily run to their crate at each mealtime, eating it all in about 2-3 minutes. Its great because if someone's not eating, I know something is going on right away.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

One of our Brittanys is a slower eater. I agree with the what the others said. Every once in a while add a couple of scoops of canned pumpkin. All our dogs love that, although our other three Brittanys need no enticement whatsoever to eat. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie