Lost a tooth?

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Lost a tooth?

Post by Alifaire »

When playing tug with Victor tonight, I noticed what I thought was a gap in his upper front teeth. 'Did you lose a tooth?' I ask :?:

"No, Mom, I bit a bee and my gum is swollen over my tooth." :roll:

Really? Does this dog have to give me high blood pressure every day!!!!

Then, wanted to go to the local park for a run and discovered my 'run flat' tire is flat... :(

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Lost a tooth?

Post by janet909 »

He bit a bee and got stung in the mouth :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I can't imagine. I remember when Wesley got stung in his arse. You'd have thought the sky was falling. He carried on for at least an hour. :roll: Then for the rest of the afternoon, he was clingy and somber. Wouldn't play or interact with the others. Lord help us if he ever gets stung in the mouth. That's got to hurt 10 times worse. Yikes !!!!! Poor Victor :cry: :cry: :cry:

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Cassie got bit by a wasp once, on the face. Other than totally freaking out she didn't really have much of a noticeable physical reaction to it, thankfully, But, forever after she gets all panicky when "buzzers" come near. Well, now that she is almost totally deaf she doesn't notice them. But I do remember her swallowing a bee once when she was just a pup. Nothing happened and I counted myself lucky that it didn't sting on it's way down her gullet :roll: The first year here in AZ she got stung by a fire ant and the total drama queen emerged :!: :!: Twenty minutes later the "crisis" was over, but Holy Cow, for awhile there the sky was falling :lol: :lol:

Re the "non-flat-flat".....just keep the hope that days like this are rare, and hopefully do not occur close together :P :P Maybe Mother Nature just wants to be sure you can multi-task :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor hates anything that buzzes. He bites them just so they don't get his butt - it can be very entertaining to watch him chase a non-bee insect while he checks his butt to be sure he's ok - and then go back to chasing!

Staying home til Monday because that's the earliest that a replacement tire is available. :x

Guess I will use the time to give Victor a bath :twisted:

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy is terrified of flies and buzzing insects - once she panicked and ran out of the house and crossed the road and hid under a tree. God help us if she ever gets stung because she'll have a complete mental break down.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Poor Victor!

Buster and Charm stalk, catch, and kill ANY flying insects. Of course, that means that if a fly gets in to the bedroom, we don't get any sleep until one of the dogs has caught it or I manage to either kill it or shoo it out of the room.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Another scary episode was years ago (pre Wesley and Shep) when Moby put his snoot in a pine tree and there was a wasps nest. He got stung numerous times in the snoot. It swelled and he started breathing funny and got wobbly. I rushed him to the emergency vet. He ended up with an IV, adrenaline, steroids and anti-histamines. He was sent home with an IV. Lord what a scare. Dogs and stinging insects make me nervous.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

A nose in a hornet's nest?! That would be painful.

Should I be concerned if Victor's gums are still swollen? It's been 2 days. I don't see any stinger in his mouth.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I wouldn't worry just yet. Tissue from stings often get a bit of cellulitis that takes time to resolve. If he seems uncomfortable, you can give him 12.5-25mg of benadryl to help with the allergic reaction but that is usually best during the initial reaction. Honestly, I would just watch it. If, after 5 days, things don't look right and/or aren't improving, you can ask your vet.

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Thanks. I was thinking the 'wait and see' approach was a good way to go. Benadryl tends to make him hyper and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He still eats and plays with both hard and soft toys as if nothing is wrong.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Hope Victor does well. He is quite the lad, isn't he mommy? :D Hope the tire is fixed now too.

Kallie eats bees. I don't know why she has not been stung yet... :roll:
Last edited by AuntieMom on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor is gnawing on a soup bone today so apparently he feels no pain! The swelling is down a bit and most of the redness is gone. Fortunately the cooler weather here has kept the bees away from the house.

And the tire will not arrive at our dealership until Monday afternoon. Not liking the 'run flat' arrangement. Maybe the tires are more readily available in bigger cities. I think we'll be going to regular tires in the future. Of course I'll have to buy another rim and carry in the cargo area of the van, but at least I'll have a spare.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Glad to hear that Victor is feeling better.....he's a trooper!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F