Pet Restraints

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Pet Restraints

Post by Cindy »

I was just watching the Today Show and saw a report on the safety (or not) of using pet restraints in the car. Just curious about what others think. Here's the link the to report: http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Pet Restraints

Post by mkilcz »

I happened to see the show... my jaw literally dropped when they showed the testing.

Marge

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

My dogs use harnesses in the car, and I have had to slam on the brakes rather hard, but have never been in a wreck with them. If I have to slam on the brakes, they are kept from sliding off the back seat or being thrown forward. Mostly, though, I use the harnesses to keep the dogs in the back seat, rather than climbing up front, or in to the cargo area. It's not so much for their safety, as for mine.

I know that probably the safest spot for a dog is on the floor, behind either the passenger or driver seat, in a plastic crate. My dogs are too big and my Jeep too little to allow for that. Next safest would probably be in plastic crates secured in the cargo area...which isn't really feasible for me for more than one dog. I know that in a crash, my dogs run the risk of being injured, but so do I, so I try my best to avoid accidents, especially when the dogs are in the car!

I do wish they'd showed brands and styles of harnesses in the videos and study. There are lots of harnesses on the market, which attach to both the dog and seat belts in various ways. It would be interesting to see if one particular style is safer than another, or if one method of attaching to the seat belt is better than another.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Lisa wrote: I do wish they'd showed brands and styles of harnesses in the videos and study. There are lots of harnesses on the market, which attach to both the dog and seat belts in various ways. It would be interesting to see if one particular style is safer than another, or if one method of attaching to the seat belt is better than another.
Excellent points/questions Lisa :!: :!: Seems if "they" are going to do a study they would cover all parameters/restraints to see what really does work, or not work. It has been substantiated that seat belts for humans do make a difference in mortality rates in auto crashes.....if safety for dogs is the real consideration then all possible safety devices should be tested.

Well, maybe there will be more on this topic.....I would think that manufactureres of car restraint harnesses would step up to show how "excellent" their product is. Hmmm....pie in the sky???? The cynic in me thinks that though the thought is honest the real goal is dollars. Soooooo many dog products are presented to attract the human response to the marketing ploy rather than what would really benefit the dog :cry:

I will say that the truly safest way to keep a dog in the car, all scenarios considered, is in a crate that is appropriate for the size of the dog and that the crate is strapped down. It's just like flying on the airlines.....if a dog is in a big crate and the plane encounters turbulence then the dog is going to be tossed around in a very harmful fashion. If a dog is in a small confining crate in a car (or a plane) then their chances are much better in a crash, assuming the crate is strong enough to actually hold together....much like a seat belt for humans. If you (or the dog) don't move much in an accident your (their) chances for survival/less injury are far greater and that injury will be lessened by the restraints. It is just a given. That said, most of us realize that our dogs love to ride in the car and see and smell all the new input...and a crate spoils that trip for them. So, like ourselves, we HOPE that we are not going to be involved in an accident and can really enjoy the trip. It's a gamble, but life is a gamble....I guess we all have to just make our decisions and, well, HOPE the fickle finger of fate is busy elsewhere.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Disturbing. I know of someone whose wife was severely injured in a car accident. Their Brittany died. :cry:

We do crates for long trips with our Britts and, yes, safety is on my mind. We have harnesses but use crates for long trips. After watching the videos, I may not use our harnesses again.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I've always worried about what would happen in a car accident. I have a harness but stopped using it mostly because it was a bit of a pain. Much easier to tell her to hop up and close the door. But also it always disturbed me to look at her and find she was tangled up in the line that connected her harness to the seatbelt. Shorten the line and she couldn't sit up. I don't think its possible to design a harness that a dog will find comfortable that is also effective (with the front half securred and the back half loose the dogs back end will always fly out). Take a look at this http://300reviews.com/2011/09/12/106-th ... seat-belt/... that would work but Lola wouldn't/couldn't sit like that for long. A crate is the way to go but I can't find one that works in my car's backseat. I need one that is taller than Lola when she is sitting but only as long as she is when she is lying down and no wider than the car seat... perhaps even with a wedge shaped bottom so she'd be sitting on a horizontal surface even though the car seat is slanted. To top it off Lola wouldn't sit in one that was plastic.. it'd have to be wire so the wire would have to be strong enough to withstand the impact...without breaking apart and cutting the dog...

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

These videos are frightening :shock: :shock: :shock: and give you a lot to think about. My dogs aren't restrained in the car :oops: :oops: :oops: and I've never (knock on wood) been in an accident with them. (My one rollover was after a night shift in the ER when I fell asleep on the way home). GIves one pause........that's for sure.

Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Icspots »

Just wanted to update the group on what may be a good pet restraint. I came across this when researching winter coats and discovered the company website claims of crash testing in Michigan. I found one here locally and will be trying it out on the weekend in my car. It certainly looks very much different in manufacture from the others at the store. Heavier webbing and all the buckles are metal not plastic. Specs from the site:
Crash test certified up to 85 lbs at 30 mph
Durable 1050D nylon fleece lined chest panel
2,300-5,000 lb break strength webbing
450-650 lb break strength aluminum buckles
2,200-3,300 lb break strength stainless steel slides
2,000-2,985 lb break strength stainless steel O-ring

The company is RC Pet Products Canine Friendly http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/ ... main_panel.

Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Dakota »

be sure to tell us what you think :)

no reviews online yet....
Image[/URL]

Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Icspots »

Well I will start by admitting that the harness is very well made and easy to size. I like the lack of plastic buckles and the overall fit on Jack. My biggest problem is not the harness but how Jack uses it in the back seat. He likes to lie down or sit and with the belt through the slot in the harness he has a major problem in not knowing how to move himself up and down so I am on a hunt to make a small adaptation for myself. I am going to find a baby car seat tether since it is a safety device and use it from the anchor bolt already in my car to clip to the O-ring at the back of the harness. I think that with the right length Jack can sit or lay down but it won't be long enough to allow him to be propelled off the seat if there was a sudden stop or a catastrophic incident. Other than my boys' issue with moving it seems like a very good harness for the car.

Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Dakota »

here is the scoop..... I purchased this harness for Ranger as we travel a busy highway to go for his arthritis treatments and wanted to make sure he was safe. Previously I have used another seatbelt harness as Ranger is front seat, back seat all over when in the car so he is used to a harness.

This harness is VERY well made and works great. He is able to sit up or lay down. I hope I never have an accident with him in the car but if I do I hope it will help save his life.... :)
Image[/URL]