Meet Duke...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Jason
Puppy

Meet Duke...

Post by Jason »

Howdy All,

Duke is almost 2 and is learning how to be my service dog. Good Lord willing he will be ADI certified in March 2013. I am getting him through Brigadoon Service Dogs here in Bellingham, WA. He is their first Brittany. Maybe I'll be able to get dual use out of him, as my service dog and as a hunter. :D

Feed me I'm dying...Duke

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Meet Duke...

Post by kat »

Welcome Jason and Duke! Nice to meet you! Look forward to hearing his training stories. And, Jason, feed that boy!!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Welcome Jason & Duke. You have a nice-looking boy there. Hope you will keep us updated on Duke's progress as a service dog, and how wonderful that Brigadoon is giving a Brittany an opportunity to enter their program. Duke looks like the typical fun-loving, goofy and loyal Brittany, Best of luck to both of you!
Piper, and Bryce

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Brittany's are CAN DO dogs :!: :!: Doing "dual" is no problem, in fact, the Brittany can do many jobs, they just need to know the protocol required....and I bet Duke will shine !!! Thanks for joining us and we look forward to "progress" reports on Duke. More photos, can't tell if he is handsome or cute :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

I live in Bellingham too! And have a 16 year old Brittany as well. Hope we run into you: Padden, Taylor Docks, Whatcom Falls...
Not too many britts around here, always a treat to see one!

Jason
Puppy

Post by Jason »

Thank you all for the greetings!

Ok, here's more pics of my starving boy: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9865458/

Here's the update thus far. I was supposed to get a Lab but then I got an email asking me if I'd be interested in a Brittany instead. I know of Brittanys and I was thinking...as a service dog?!?!?!?!? I thought sure, Labs are kind of boring anyway. So 3 weekends ago I met Duke and tried...oh, let me say it this way TRIED! to walk him around the training room. Heel didn't even occur to me. Considering my injuries (I have PTSD and some physical injuries after being in an IED explosion) he was walking me. The Director of Brigadoon was not happy at all. I asked for the weekend to give us a chance. Walking was a no-go. So last weekend he got a harness that he didn't care for. This weekend we walked with the harness and he was more or less a perfect gentleman. I gave him a couple smell breaks of course. By the way, heeling is coming along. He has beyond mastered recall, sit, give paw and all the other circus tricks. I get him on the weekends until our team training the 17-21 Dec.

StFrost, would love to see you around. Duke could use a play friend.

Feed me I'm dying...Duke

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

This is very cool! I love the concept of a Britt as a service dog and can't wait to hear how the training goes. Welcome.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Jason - Great photos. Thank you for your service to out country and sacrifice for our freedom. I checked out Brigadoon Service Dog's website and noticed Duke posted on the "Our Dogs" page, and in need of sponsorships. http://www.brigadoondogs.com/Our-Dogs.html. Just thought I'd point that out to our Brittany community :wink:
Piper, and Bryce

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Nice to meet you DUKE! I knew you were a Brit as soon as I saw that first shot of your belly with your legs spread apart! I bet he likes to scratch his snout as soon as he finishes dinner!

PC

Jason
Puppy

Post by Jason »

Oh yeah...he looooooooooves to go outside and run his snout all over after dinner. Then he comes to me for the post dinner belly rub. What a harsh life he leads. :)

Feed me I'm dying...Duke

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

HANDSOME, even regal !! Can't wait to hear more about Duke :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Hi Jason and welcome to you and Duke. He looks like an extremely bright and inquisitive boy, wow he is adorable. He is young yet but will settle down. Brittanys like to shake things up - I have 4 - and he will make your life so much richer. And you deserve him! Thank you for your service.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Duke looks great, happy and healthy! I'll be very interested to hear how he works out. Keep us posted.

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

Welcome, welcome. I think you are "onto something" here.

Britannies are dogs of tremendous "Spirit and Form".

Perhaps Duke, like most Brits, wakes in the morn, full of vim and vigor, ready to conquer the entire world single-pawedly. That's the "Spirit".

Bred for such, Duke might have perceived his original mission in life to find you quail, pheasant and such. By the time you get the harness on him, he's beginning to see that there are other considerations, i.e. you and your needs.

If/when practical, give him full leash when you encounter a sizable schrub or weed-patch. If you see him stop dead in his tracks, perhaps shiver a little, and raise a single paw off the ground, you will know that Duke has the "Form" of a pointing bird-dawg. It's fascinating to watch, and you'll never get tired of seeing it.

The "Spirit and Form" of the dog and owner combine.

Enjoy,
P
Lovable furry rascal
<How to display second pic???><message for second pic>

Jason
Puppy

Post by Jason »

Hey everyone. The Duke and I have had another awesome weekend. He's got a hot spot-type thing going on so because of topical spray from the vet he's stuck indoors, out of the rain. Makes for a very unhappy Brit. I'm anxious to see if I get Duke over the whole thanksgiving weekend, that would just be awesome.

Hey P, I so can't wait see put that nose in action, see him shake, shimmy, and finally the angels on high sing as he raises that front paw. I'm a father and to me him raising that paw is like saying daddy for the first time. You have said it better than I have ever heard it before.

Feed me I'm dying...Duke