Just pondering ....

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Just pondering ....

Post by AuntieMom »

... all things Brittany. Like ...

Do Brittanys ever get full? And if they did, would they stop eating?
Why do they wait until the middle of the night to throw up? Always.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Just pondering ....

Post by Cindy »

Can't answer your first couple of questions but know that they ALWAYS wait until the middle of the night to throw up!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Has anyone ever seen a Britt throw up in the daylight?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

kat wrote:Has anyone ever seen a Britt throw up in the daylight?
Yes, but only if throwing up in MY bed!!!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I've often thought about putting out a whole bunch of food to see if Lola would stop eating on her own. I'm afraid the experiment would end with her throwing up in the middle of the night - so I never actually do it.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm sorry this discussion ever came up - Pippa threw up TWICE in the middle of the night last night! UGH! The price she paid for eating my contact lens case!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Quite honestly, I have not pondered these questions. Now that the Christmas cookie season is here, I am more concerned about stopping a "surfer"! Let's see.. How many sticks of butter have we lost this past month? (2, but if we count the one we got out of the cage before OSCAR ate it, then 3. And boy, did he ever growl at us too!). :shock:

PC

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

AuntieMom wrote:Do Brittanys ever get full? And if they did, would they stop eating?
Yes, but it takes about 8 cups of food before they will back away and not eat! Yup...Buster got in to a bag of dog food and ate around 8 cups of food. I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, noticed it was dinner time for the dogs, put food down, and Buster ate one bite and backed away. Freaked me out...I took a good look at Buster and he looked like he'd swallowed a beach ball. I saw the door out to the garage open, went out there, and found a torn open bag of food. My best estimate is that he ate around 8 cups before stopping.
AuntieMom wrote:Why do they wait until the middle of the night to throw up? Always.
Just to make life interesting, I think!
kat wrote:Has anyone ever seen a Britt throw up in the daylight?
:lol: :lol: Yup, seen Buster do it once and Charm once. Not counting the times when I had to induce vomiting in Buster (and those were actually after dark too!).
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor has no issue with up-chucking in the daylight. He just wants to be outside when he does it. :roll:

However, several times I have walked through the house in the morning and wondered what kind of party must have taken place the night before given the number of slimy stains on the carpet. :shock:

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Do Brittanys ever get full? And if they did, would they stop eating?
For my household, the answer is "only when the fridge is empty". I too have witnessed the "beach ball" tummy that Lisa describes! My Bryce will eat everything in sight until he is about to explode, and when he learned to open the fridge he, with some help from brother Piper, cleaned me out...twice. :twisted: I now have a lock on the fridge.
Piper is a little more discriminating and sometimes takes his treasure from the fridge that Bryce opened for him and guards it in his crate until he get hungry again :lol:
Piper, and Bryce

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I must have been spoiled. My Brit was a free-feeder and would just take a nibble here and there throughout the day. We actually had to be careful about how much we put out so it wouldn't spoil or attract undesirables.

Edit to add: No vomit issues that I remember, but one time she got diarrhea while alone in the house. She picked the least offensive place she could find -- on a small rug right by the back door. We just threw out the rug and the mess was all gone!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

jholly
Puppy

Post by jholly »

Having 2 totally different Britt personalities makes you ponder.....Bailey (my little boy that passed away Jan. 2012) he would only eat until he was full. If there was kibble still in his dish he would just leave it. Lewis on the other hand would gobble his food down and race to Bailey's bowl because he knew there would be leftovers. I don't think Lewis is ever full.

Bailey was a puky dog right from the get go. When he was a puppy he discovered if he stood on his tippy toes he could counter surf and find wonderful things to eat....like a new package of sponges ( he was pooping them out for a week), or a new bag of onions and potatoes, or a whole pound of butter that was on the kitchen table.

Lewis doesn't puke much. He has an iron gut. The only time he ever puked up was when he ate almost a full bag of garbage that he pulled out himself from under the kitchen sink. He's a true hunter. He finds his own snacks in the backyard....mice, shrews, a black bird (we caught him with it in his mouth) the bird was still alive so we let it go. And he loves poop! He use to eat Bailey's poop too!