RIP My Almost Perfect Dog

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

RIP My Almost Perfect Dog

Post by Cindy »

On Friday we had to put our sweet little Jilly to sleep. We had taken all the dogs for a run in the morning and then to the grocery store. When we were putting the groceries into the car Jill started having a seizure. She's been epileptic for the last year and a half and we've had a pretty difficult time finding just the right drug cocktail to prevent them. And recently the seizures were coming in clusters (several over a short period of time) and about every 25-30 days. In between Jill was perfectly normal in every way so we assumed this seizure would be like all the others and pass in a couple of minutes. Kayla and Pippas were pretty anxious so we got them into the front seat and I jumped in the back with Jill. She started coming out of it and then right back into another seizure so I told John to drive to the vet, which was only a couple of miles down the road. She probably had 7 or 8 seizures in that short amount of time. The vet brought her right in and gave her some Valium but her temperature had risen to 107 so they had to put ice on her to get that down. The Valium only lasted a short while and she started seizing again, so more Valium. To make a long story short, they could never get the seizures to stop completely and were giving Valium about every 30 minutes. The vet talked to the neurologist at VA Tech and the only option left was to kind of "overdose" her on drugs and put her into a coma for a couple of days in hope that it would give her brain some time to relax. But that seemed to be a really last ditch effort and everyone was concerned she might not come out of it or, if she did, she wouldn't be the same dog. . :cry: :cry: :cry:

So ... we decided to let her go, with the good memories of watching her and Pippa barreling through the field and snow that morning on our walk and racing down the beach in Hatteras just last weekend. We were both with her in the end and she did manage to rally enough to recognize us and give us both a little kiss. She was only 10 years old ... As Many of you know, she's everywhere in this house, every place you look, every corner you turn - you just expect to see her pop up with that "what are we going to do today" expression on her face. Jill was smart, and funny, and sweet as they come. Pippa was really attached to her and we hope Jill was able to teach her enough in the 2 short months they had together. I'm certain I will never have an "almost perfect dog" again.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Cindy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: RIP My Almost Perfect Dog

Post by janet909 »

Oh Cindy,
I'm shedding tears for you, Jill and your entire family. I'm so very sorry. It must have been terrible to watch her having continual seizures without being able to bring her out of it. Fortunately, for these many years of epilepsy, she had a wonderful family who provided excellent vet care for her. Your loss is huge and it makes me so sad. She is resting, seizure free now. I know that doesn't ease your pain....as you said, she is everywhere in the house....and she always will be. My best wishes and thoughts to you on this very difficult day. :( :( :( :(

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Oh Cindy, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine going through that. Poor, sweet Jill. But what a wonderful life she had with you.

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

My condolences. It is never easy to lose a beloved family member. RIP Jill.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh, I have so many feelings coming now, and no words. My deepest heart-felt sympathy for you and John....I know how hard this is :cry: :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

So sorry for your loss, rest in peace Jill. :cry: :cry:

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

I am so very sorry. It never ever gets any easier. They are all so very special.
May the time of these days pass quickly so you reach the little light near the end of your tunnel of heartache.

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

Sorry, sorry, sorry to hear. I know how she was special for you.

P
Lovable furry rascal
<How to display second pic???><message for second pic>

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Cindy, I am so, so sorry, what a tremendous loss. Precious, perfect Jill, I have tears running down my face. She was so lucky to have had you for her family, no one could have given her a better life. I know this will take you a long time to recover from, you will all be in my prayers.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Cindy, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is the saddest day when we have to put down our beloved pet. My heart goes out to you. Diane
Diane Klonowski

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Oh, I'm so sorry. I've always enjoyed the photos of your girls at the beach and it was so evident that she was a cherished dog. RIP Jill.
Piper, and Bryce

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Cindy, I am so very sorry for your loss.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry: :cry: Jill was a beautiful girl.

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. :cry:
Henry

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

My heart breaks for both of you. Jill was very loved and she knew it. Remember all the good times.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana