Happy Gotcha Day

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Happy Gotcha Day

Post by AuntieMom »

Happy Valentine's Day to all. And a happy gotcha day to our little sweetheart, CharLee.

For those of you new to the boards ... In January 2010, we were foster volunteers for ABR and the local humane society called us about taking a blind Brittany puppy. She had been left off overnight in their drop box. DH and I went her, half expecting her not to be a Brittany. But there she was, definitely a Brittany puppy. The staff handed her to me and she snuggled in. We took her home and set up a bed for her in our bathroom. That first night she was with us, I put a baby gate up and left her with some toys so I could cook dinner. I heard a clatter. There comes CharLee, down the hallway looking for me. It should have been a warning to her feisty attitude but my first thought was "what a brave girl." Within hours of getting her she had me wrapped around her little paw.

So ... our job at the time was to take care of CharLee until transport could be arranged to a foster home. Right before Valentine's Day I told DH "I love her." He said "Me too." And we officially adopted our sweetheart on February 14.

People had warned us that we were in for tough times. That has not been the case. She was an easy puppy and is still a feisty but good girl. Our other three Brittanys are older than her (she is 3 and they are 10, 9 and 8) but they accepted her as part of their pack. She was difficult to potty train but things speeded up when I put a bell on the door.

She has a positive upbeat attitude which is contagious. I loved watching her with her Brittany puppy zoomies in the backyard under the moon. She is so joyful. To my blind Brittany puppy, every day is sunny.
She has been through obedience school and did great, she has gone to the ABR Rocky Mountain picnic 3 years in a row and made countless friends, she runs up and down the stairs, she jumps up in the bed, she runs around in the backyard, and every day she amazes me.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Happy Gotcha Day

Post by Cindy »

Loved being reminded of CharLee's story - it's a great one. Happy gotcha day!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Happy Gotcha Day, sweet little CharLee!!!

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Happy Gotcha Day Charlee :D :D

gingersnap
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by gingersnap »

Happy Gotcha Day! She is an awesome dog and I love seeing her at the picnic every summer.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Happy Gotcha Day! She is an incredible dog, but she has also had the good fortune of landing in a home where you and DH have allowed her to be herself. I don't know which of you is luckier!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I love to hear the story of CharLee....so inspiring both from the humane angle as well as the human angle :D HAPPY GOTCHA DAY to CharLee and family 8) 8)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

She's beautiful AND amazing to watch. To think that you can plop her down at the ABR picnic, a strange and new environment, and she running around and playing with the other dogs. You'd just never know that she's blind. She's so sweet and happy. (.....and my Wes has a crush on her......). Yes, lucky girl !!! Getting dropped at the shelter was the best thing that could have happened to her. She found the best home and the best mom/dad ever in the whole world !!!! Happy Gotcha day (a few days late :P )

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Congrats on your anniversary! How nice that you got to meet you dog in "person" and then made a decision to adopt! Sometime we laugh at our dog and tell him he is one of those "Internet dogs"! He then looks at us kinda funny and says "What do you mean by that?". He doesn't see the humor in it! :roll: :roll: