I feel bad about a stray dog. - Good News!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

I feel bad about a stray dog. - Good News!

Post by adele »

Three days ago Lola and I were walking along an abandonned railroad track and found a stray dog sleeping outside in the bushes (It was about 7 am and the sun wasn't up yet). First morning I thought he was a coyote and steered clear - but he appeared black so I thought maybe a dog. Second morning I brought my camera to see if I could get a photo but there isn't enough light. This morning I brought binoculars - its definately a dog, is wearing a leather collar. I tried to get close be it was clearly afraid and about to bolt so I put down some kibble and left. I've been back once and the kibble is gone but so is the dog. I left more kibble. Judging from the amount of scat and the bare patch of ground he's been curled up in .. he's been there a lot longer than 3 days. Based on the poop I think he's been surviving on a pile of rotten apples the orchardist has dumped in a field a few yards away. Its been about 18 degrees out at night, today we're supposed to get a storm and freezing rain. I've left a message at animal control but they haven't gotten back to me. I'm having trouble thinking about anything else. Poor dog.
Last edited by adele on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: I feel bad about a stray dog.

Post by adele »

Oh boy, I don't think I did that dog any favours by calling animal control. Apparently they've been trying to catch him since June. So he's spent the whole winter outside. But she said that even if they do catch him she doesn't think they'll be ableto rehabilitate him. It sounded to me a lot like they want to catch him so they can kill him. Not like they want to catch him so they can help him. I feel really bad now for telling them where he is.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Adele, that's so hard, I really feel for you. I've had to call ac before, we hate to do it sometimes, but look at it this way: at some point he's going to end up freezing, starving or the like. As bad as it seems, euthanasia isn't always the worst thing that can happen. Remember too, if he has a chip in him, a heartbroken family may be reunited, that would make your involvement priceless. Or maybe you could try looking for a rescue group that might take him?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

As bad as it seems, euthanasia isn't always the worst thing that can happen.
Yup, definitely a tough call but starving or freezing would be way worse. The hard part is getting the thought and picture of the dog out of your head. I feel for you ...
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

They know who the owners are. Apparently in June some people adopted him from a town on the other side of the province. Three days after they got him he ran out of the house and he's been on his own since. They named him but of course he doesn't know his name. Animal Control lady said she's talked to them but they aren't too interested in getting him back. I have learned that he is a lab x rottie. There is an active Lab Rescue in the province so today I'm gong to let them know about him. Maybe they can help him. I brought him some food again today and will continue to feed him so long as he stays there.

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

Way to go! Every life counts. This dog deserves a warm and loving home. Thanks for taking action.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

So I brough him some food again today. He was wet and shivering when he let me touch him. I think I could have put a leash around his neck. He was eating out of my hand and licking my hand. He's not a bad dog. I don't know what to do with him if I did get a leash on him. He might freak. I doubt he'd walk quietly beside me to the vets. He's down the railroad track so I can't get a car to him.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

adele wrote: I think I could have put a leash around his neck. He was eating out of my hand and licking my hand. He's not a bad dog. I don't know what to do with him if I did get a leash on him. He might freak. I doubt he'd walk quietly beside me to the vets. He's down the railroad track so I can't get a car to him.
You might be surprised. If you have a slip lead, and Lola is with you, he might very well come along with you on leash...at least to where you could get him in a car. I've caught strays before and once I get a leash on them and just gently tell them to come with me, they usually do. Sometimes, I have to entice a little with some treats, but usually they just come with me.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What about putting some food in a crate and trying to get him that way?

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Once he was in the crate I'd never be able to get it to the car. Its about a 10 min walk down the railway. He's too big to carry.

I'd be willing to try putting the leash on him and if he came... great. But what if he didn't? Then I'd have ruined his trust in me and he'd be dragging around a leash because if it did upset him I can't imagine I'd be able to get it off again. He's very very skinny but he's pretty big. Do you think I should try? I don't want to put aside all your suggestions. I really need help but what if he freaks when I get that leash on him?

I don't know what to do. I talked to the animal control woman and told her he was eating out of my hand. She was surprised but said that she would talk to a vet about getting something to put in his food to knock him out. Then we could drag him out on a sled. BUT that won't happen until Monday... if it happens.

I'm going out tomorrow morning to feed him. I plan to feed him by hand and then sit with him for awhile. Try to build some trust... ?

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I think I would try the leash, but that's just me. But, I would have pockets full of yummy treats to keep him by my side. Hot dogs, cheese....anything extra special. When/if you get the leash on him, don't start walking right away. Talk to him and keep the treats coming. Hopefully, that will keep him calm enough that he'll stay by your side when you start walking. (And hope and pray he jumps willingly into your car!)

Good luck. I hope you get the poor boy to somewhere safe and warm.

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

Good plan, Maggierocks. Very yummy treats are key. I feel so sad for this dog -long time on its own trying to survive. Keep us posted, please.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

He didn't sleep in his regular spot last night. There was a dusting of snow where he usually sleeps. I was so worried. I left food out (brought him some warm chicken and rice stew) and left but went back half an hour later and saw him eating. He bolted when he saw me. At least I know he won't starve today and it'll help keep him warm if he has fuel. I will continue to feed him and if I ever get the chance to leash him I'll try.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I'm surprised he bolted after he let you touch him the other day. I wonder if someone else is trying to catch him (or trying to chase him off :( ) and that is why he is so afraid? Well, at least he had a good meal today. Bless you for feeding him.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thank god for people like you :)