I feel bad about a stray dog. - Good News!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Re: I feel bad about a stray dog.

Post by dianek »

Any news on Tramp? Happy Easter, Diane
Diane Klonowski

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Nope. I got my hopes up for nothing. Darlene (animal control) did not call me back. I've totally given up on her and will not call her again.

I have managed to contact a woman who is active in animal rescue. She said she'll take Tramp if I ever manage to catch him. So, he doesn't need to go to the pound. That's good. She has put out a call among all the doggie lovers in the area to see if she can find me an outdoor dog pen. Unfortunately that was on Friday and since I haven't heard anything I bet there isn't one available. So, I've been considering my options. Either build a pen or use the (no kill) noose that Dept. of Nat. Resources has. I go back and forth... Perhaps I should just noose him - but I'm afraid of having a 100 lb frightened dog on my hands... what do I do then? I do have offers of help so I don't have to do it alone but I'm still not sure how the dog will behave. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can build a pen that will hold him and I haven't figured out how I can make a door that will swing easily. I can drive metal poles into the ground and on three sides attach fencing... that's easy... but the door has me stumped. It has to work the first time... I can only imagine attaching hinges to wood. I guess I should google "building dog pens". I can't do that at all until the ground thaws.

In the meantime, I keep feeding him. He's eating. I haven't seen him in a couple of days but the food is gone so I assume he's okay. I have seen him on a few occassions watching me fill his bowls. So, he knows its me but he doesn't appoach, he sits in the distance (the size of my thunb on the horizon). I don't think I'll ever just coax him into approaching me.

That's where it stands. I'm worried that if I don't figure something out soon something bad will happen to him.

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

i wonder if we could set up a "chip in" account to help buy a humane trap or a pen. i'm sure a few dollars from a bunch of people can go a long way!

Image BIRD DOG

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I'd chip in to that....

Adele you are an awesome person!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Thanks guys. I've looked online and I think I can build one mostly with stuff I have lying around in the basement. I'm going to give it a try tonight. If that doesn't work I suppose I could try to raise funds to buy one. I haven't looked very hard but I can't find one online that I think will be big enough. The biggest I can find costs $244 and is 26 inches tall... ( that is about the height of a Rottie... So I think I'll try to make one a little larger... I don't know how big this dog is but he looks very leggy.

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Count me in if you take up a collection! Diane
Diane Klonowski

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I've made a working trap! Well, its good enough to trap Lola (who sits at the entrance on command and enters when I say okay)... but it works! My first attempt didn't work. I had to take it all apart and start over. Its taken me forever. I still have to add the mesh sides but the trap mechanism works - that was the tough part. It doesn't go off accidentially either. I can bang on it hard and it doesn't go off until Lola stands on the treadle. At the rate I'm going I think perhaps by next weekend I will be able to put it out. I can't wait. Feeding him is getting to be a real drain.

I have permission from the land owner to use his farm road so getting it to the feeding site should be relatively easy. I am currently feeding Tramp on a big sheet of wood to get him used to walking on the wood... it doesn't seem to bother him at all. My plan is to put the trap out with the sides and top covered in mesh but leave the front and back open and to put his food inside... so he can get used to entering. Man, I hope he goes in there. If he doesn't go in I'll freak about all the time I've wasted.. Wish me luck! On "trap day" I'll put up the mesh on the front and hope like crazy he goes in... AND that it works.

I guess its premature to send this update the trap isn't completely finished... but I am thrilled that I have a working trap - putting the mesh on is just a matter of pulling out the staple gun and getting busy. Trouble is there isn't a lot of time on work days...

Anybody out there who knows anything at all about trapping dogs... I'm open to suggestions, hints.. advice.. anything you got.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I don't know a thing about trapping dogs but I am just so impressed with you perseverance. You are amazing!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Read this story and thought of you.

http://kingstowne.patch.com/articles/an ... y-shih-tzu

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Sorry, I can't help either, but, like Cindy, I think you are amazing. Really pulling for you, you are awesome.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

dmedric wrote:Read this story and thought of you.
Let's hope this one ends as well. I don't know what I'm going to do if he doesn't go into the trap. I don't have a Plan B.

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

I thinking everyone is sending positive vibrations for a happy outcome for Tramp! Diane
Diane Klonowski

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: I feel bad about a stray dog. - Good News!

Post by adele »

Its over! Yeahhhh! The Tramp is a tramp no more.

Its a long story but I eventually got the trap from animal control. He is on his way to the SPCA. The animal control woman said that as soon as word gets out that he has been caught she will have people fighting to foster him. :D Apparently he's a bit of a celebrity in the local dog rescue world. So, he should be okay.

I forgot to say thanks to those of you who offered to help with the cost of a trap. So I'm saying it now, thanks. I didn't really need the money but the support was very welcome.

Here he is - after one year living alone in the fields. I thought he'd be all freaked out in the trap but he was a real gentleman... a little skittish but he likes having his head scratched and he likes cheese.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Oh, what a handsome guy! I sure hope he finds a good home after all this. Way to go!

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

WOW Adele....you pulled it off !!! Kudos to you !!! Your staying on focus in this saga surely is what made it end happily :D And I bet your last couple months or so of attention, albeit from a distance, helped him be more accepting once he was caught. GREAT news, am sure this made the day for all of us :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13