Changes

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Changes

Post by Barb Wright »

Fifteen years ago we brought home a seven week old Brittany puppy who we named Cassandra Sweet Dreams, naturally shortened to Cassie. Our lives were changed that day in so many ways we never imagined. And yesterday, March 19 at 1:10 in the afternoon we had to let her leave on a solo journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

It was the worst of days and we seek comfort by recalling all our good memories of the Cassie years......shared love, laughter, pride, joy, and true there were moments of anguish and frustration, but they fade with the overwhelming positives she gave to our lives. She was your typical Britt puppy and proved to be a "can do" dog in all phases of our lives together. She loved to ride on snowmobiles and four-wheelers or just race along beside them...we let her win the race sometimes:). She would hop into any vehicle, car/boat/motor home/airplane, making sure she was included in whatever we were doing....a true companion. We hiked many a mile in our travels and she always led the way eagerly, always the hunter, toward new horizons. At home, ever alert, she kept the Dragons and Demons at bay, but once the door was opened she welcomed all, no one was a stranger to her way of thinking. Whenever we had to leave her alone to "guard the fort" her happy welcome (Oh Thank God your back!!) was always followed by a scolding that we had left her out of the action. She was always positive that she should be making all the decisions (when to get up, when to eat, when to go for a walk, etc.) and the battle for the Throne continued over the years, consistent to the very end.

The last couple of years were sadly marked by physical decline, deafness and almost total blindness being the major failings. She was still able to jump up on the bed, and even had the occasional zoomie which didn't last very long, but did show the spirit was still willing to sprint. The last few months had occasioned further health issues, fortunately none of which were painful, but debilitating nevertheless. And thus, as it must, it was time to let her go, and so once again our lives are irrevocably changed to a world without Cassie, a strange place to be.

Be at peace Miss Cassie, we will meet again, this time for an eternity together.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Changes

Post by StFrost »

My condolences. From cradle (of arms) to the grave--you can not ask for more

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

Oh Barb, I'm so sorry. I will miss the Cassie stories that you have shared on this forum, lots of great memories for sure. I know she was so very loved, and you so loved by her.
RIP Cassie
Piper, and Bryce

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by dianek »

Barb, what a beautiful tribute to Cassie who lived a long & loved life with you. My condolences, Diane
Diane Klonowski

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

i enjoyed reading all your Cassie stories, and hope her memory will continue on in this forum. Many condolences. :cry:

Image BIRD DOG

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Barb,

I am so sorry to read your news concerning CASSIE. You wrote an excellent tribute to her. Dogs are truly man's BEST FRIEND.

Steve

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Oh Barb, we will miss sweet Cassie. I am typing this through tears. Cassie was such a part of our family here and it will not be the same without her. Big hugs to you, Barb. Wish I could give it to you in person.

(Poem below was given to me when my Blaze boy died. Hope you it gives you comfort as it did me.)

I Loved You Best
By Kerri Fowlkes

So this is where we part, My friend
And you’ll run on, around the bend.
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
New pleasures there you’ll surely find.

I will go on, I’ll find the strength
Life measures quality, not its length
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren’t you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought
Will remember well all you’ve taught.

Your place I’ll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this … I loved you best.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I am so very sorry. I too have enjoyed reading your stories of Cassie over the years. She sounded like such an amazing dog and a wonderful member of your family. May all the happy memories you have comfort you in the days to come.
Henry

Dogmom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Dogmom »

Please accept my condolences for your loss. I am certain that Cassie could not have loved you and your family more, nor could a dog have a better life than you gave her. I hope that knowing this truth can give you comfort.

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

Barb, I'm so sorry to read this. :cry: I have so enjoyed reading about Cassie's life with you in Alaska, the RV trips, and in Arizona. You were lucky to have each other for so long, but I know its never long enough. Many of us have Britts waiting at the Bridge to keep her company till you meet again.

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

So sorry to hear about Cassie, Barb. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this hard time. :( :( :(

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm just sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Cassie has been one of "our" dogs for so many years that your loss belongs to all of us. She had quite the life and got to see and do things that the average person could only wish for. I will miss hearing about her eating pistachios, jumping on tables, etc. Miss Cassie had a way of reminding me that no matter how well trained and good your Brittany is, you always have to stay alert! I'm sure my little Jill and Cassie will be best of friends because they both were "almost perfect" dogs. Hugs to you Barb - I know how hard this is. Cindy
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Oh Barb, I am so, so sorry. What a terrific loss. Like so many here, I have enjoyed her stories, and always, your love for her showed through. My tears this morning can't compare to yours, but I share everyone's sadness today. You told me one time, years ago, that my beloved old girl would remain beside me on silent paws, now I remind you that Cassie will be there silently with you. RIP dear girl.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Dakota »

so sorry for your loss Barb, I too am crying with you.....

it is always hardest on those of us left behind :cry:
Image[/URL]

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Barb, I am so very, very sorry to hear this. Please take comfort knowing you gave her the best life a brit could possibly have.