How many non-hunting Britts here?

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

How many non-hunting Britts here?

Post by Brendainnj »

Hi, I'm just curious if most everyone hunts with their Britt. After looking at over 100 breeds of dogs, my family decided that the Britt would be the best one for our family, and are now waiting (impatiently!) for our pup to be born. We don't hunt, although my husband has high hopes. I know they need lots of exercise so I was wondering what everyone does who doesn't hunt. We have a fenced yard so lots of off leash running there, maybe some hiking, and in bad weather, he can always fetch balls in the basement! :)

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: How many non-hunting Britts here?

Post by Cindy »

Definitely lots of non hunters on this board including us. We have about 8 acres behind invisible fencing but that's not good enough for our dogs. We also do lots of hiking, throw the Frisbee and balls on a daily basis, take them swimming - just about anything we do, they go with us. We tried agility with Kayla but she got tired of waiting around for the other dogs who didn't catch on as quickly. However, that seems to be a really great way of getting exercise for your dog. Others will chime in - we all have ideas!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

hoppsmom
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by hoppsmom »

Hopps isnt a hunting dog... at least not yet! I take him on runs with me, we go to the dog park, go to the regular park, he is learning fetch, and I bring him down my parents farm just to hike and run off leash.

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

we do not hunt Tessie. She has the instincts to point, and will point squirrels and critters and such, but we are not a hunting family. She does very well with a nice long walk in the morning and a couple of jaunts around the block. She, however i think is the exception to the rule in regard to Brittany energy!

Image BIRD DOG

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Our Brit is not a hunter either. He gets 2 good walks a day, lots of time chasing critters in the yard, and play time in the house (with a little training thrown in).

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Rocket has been hunting with my husband a few times, but this is more the exception than the rule, lol. Our yard backs to some ball fields and open space, so most mornings I get Rocket and Jack out for a good long run. We have a fenced yard, and they burn a lot of energy just playing and wrestling with each other when outside.

Marge

FireOnTheMountain
Puppy

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Hiking dog extrordanaire! Overall awesome outdoorsy dogs, although if I'm tired he's just as happy watching a movie with me.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Maggie and Emma both hunt, and they both love it. That being said, hunting season (at least, in PA) is short, so even dogs that hunt have a very limited season. Maggie loves to chase a ball or a frisbee in the back yard-that provides more exercise for her than just a walk. Plus, we own 4 acres which is pretty much surrounded by woods and fields, so they have a blast "hunting" on their own. In fact, DH said Emma caught 2 mice yesterday!!! :roll:

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

We hunt all three but only a handfull of times every year. Sooooo, they get the majority of exercise on daily walks. We walk our dogs for approximately one hour every morning. They free run so they exhaust themselves running up and down the canyon walls out in the desert. Then, they are mellow and hang out all day with intermittent zoomie sessions (immediately after breakfast and after dinner). They have a large yard and a dog door so they can either be inside or outside on their own accord.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy doesn't hunt (unless you count lunging and running after squirrels and bunnies). We do play agility, I take her for bike rides with my Springer attachment and we go on walks everyday - with an occasional hike here and there.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Pretty1
Puppy

Post by Pretty1 »

Sadie is the hunter and would hunt more if I would let her off leach. This afternoon while walking in a large park she spent as much time on point as she did walking. At the end of our walk, something caught her eye so she took off at flank speed and almost ripped my arm off. Really have to watch her.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola hunts - I don't.
On weekends I take her out into the fields behind our house for an hour's run off leash and later in the day we walk around the block (takes about an hour) on leash. In between she has the yard to muck about in but she mostly just lays on the porch and barks at the squirrels.
On weekdays she comes to the office with me and there is nowhere to run so we put in lots of on-leash time. We walk for 1 hour before work along an abandoned railway. Its agrigultural land with lots of pheasants so Lola's happy. Then we have 3 or 4 half hour walks during the day. It sounds like a lot but at work she mostly just lays under my desk - pretty boring - so I take her out to "go" and to give her something interesting to do.

I remember waiting impatiently for my puppy. I had dreams of playing ball too. Finally, I got her and tossed the ball and she ran after it... but when she reached it she just kept running :lol: . To this day the only way I can get her to retreive a ball, frisbie, or stuffed toy is to bribe her with kibble. :roll: :lol: (She happily retreives dead things without any encouragement).
I did try agility for awhile and Lola enjoyed it but it was too far away - too much time spent driving - so we gave it up.

Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Brendainnj »

Adele, I never gave a thought that the puppy wouldn't play ball...I've had Labs for the last 25 years!! That's too funny--I'll have to break it to my 7-yr-old that she might have to find a new game :) .

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

We have four Brittanys ages 10, 9, 8 and 4. We have given only the 10 year old the opportunity to hunt.

We don't do anything special with our dogs except give them lots of love and attention. The attention is because if I don't who knows what those four would do. :roll: We have a large back yard that has different landscapes (trees, terraces, etc.) My Britts likes patrolling the area and it is funny to see them back there when they think they have a chance with a squirrel. In the summer, I have a kiddie pool out for them. They like being inside too. I have a toy box for all their Galileo bones and remnants of stuffed toys. They are all at the point where they have sort of settled down. I thought the 8 year old would never calm down but even he will rest sometimes. My Britts like to just hang with us and we love their company.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

As for playing fetch with a ball -- neither of my Brits has had any interest in retrieving a ball. My current Brit will fetch squeaky, stuffed toys and sometimes he will even bring them back :oops: However, my Beagle/Brit mix is great at retrieving toys (again squeaky, stuffed one) and will always bring it back to us. So, maybe with some training ...............................