What to buy for new puppy...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

What to buy for new puppy...

Post by Brendainnj »

Well, it will be a long 8 weeks but I thought I'd spend the time stocking up on fun stuff! I know the "necessary" basics (I've had Labs), but I'm thinking more of good toys to occupy the pup. My Lab love the Kong, and anything rubber to chew, and he had a "jolly ball" for outside in the yard. But toys are so expensive; I want to make good choices, not waste $$. Someone commented that their puppy didn't like to play ball (who knew??) I'd like to find out what Britts do like to play with (and what they don't!)

So...favorites?? Duds???

Thanks!

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: What to buy for new puppy...

Post by StFrost »

we put a Zuke in a kong, and Sammie loves it.

Also, anything fuzzy--loves, loves, loves.

Our last Britt was pretty much the same way...

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Every dog is different. My dog could care less about balls - while others are totally obsessed with them.
I know this is going to sound funny, but you can get some really cheap puzzle type toys from places like CVS and Walgreens. I bought one from CVS that was similar to the NIna Ottoson ones they charge a fortune for, for 5 bucks.

My dog tends to LOVE plush - doesn't really like those hard rubber toys. she also loves anything that dispenses food. Tricky Treat Ball, Magic Mushroom, Buster Cube etc.

The hunters in the group will comfirm this, but if you plan to hunt the dog, I don't think you are supposed to use super - hard things because you want to keep a brit's mouth soft.

Experiment - try a few different things, see what your pup likes, and then you can invest more on those types of toys.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I bought my puppy tons of "puppy" toys, and she thought they were all dumb. She wanted to play with the "big dog" toys. Charm's favorites were the DuraChew Nylabones (the really hard ones) in the Souper size...dang things were bigger than her when she was 10 weeks old, but she'd drag them around anyway. She has a stuffed alligator that has been pretty much indestructible, it's still almost too big for her, though, and she drags the thing around by it's foot. Ummm, fleece tug ropes, squeaky toys, Buster Cube, Kongs, she loved all that stuff.

These two were her favorites as a puppy and remain her favorites - both found at Petsmart, althought I also found her 'gator at Tuesday Mornings
Image Image
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

My dogs like the "destuffed" dog toys. Actually, I'm the one who likes them because all toys become destuffed very quickly and buying them that way just saves on the clean up! :lol: But, if you're trying to save on spending, just take your old t-shirts and cut them into long strips. Then you can braid them, put knots in them, make a pull loop - just about anything you want to do.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola likes stuffed toys too, well, de-stuffing toys. I buy at a local 2nd hand store where they cost one or two dollars so I don't care if they get ripped apart. I pick up the stuffing and shove it back in the hole and she re-de-stuffs. She likes it best when I help her create the hole with a good game of tug, then rub her while she performs the evisceration. If the holes are just right sometimes I can re-stuff from one end while she de-stuffs from the other. She seems to get a kick out of that. When she was little she loved the squeeky ones, now she seems less impressed.

I don't know what I would do without kongs - Lola still uses the puppy strength ones. In my opinion, if you only buy one thing, buy a kong.

Just because some of them don't like playing ball doesn't mean they all don't. Lola did play with balls (never fetch) when she was young. Here's a very short very dark vidoe http://youtu.be/0iEENrL8Omk . Anyway, don't give up hope, just be prepared.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

My youngest Britt is CharLee. She had a stuff lamb that was her favorite toy when she was a puppy. She used to sleep with it. Unfortunately, I have other Britts who kill off stuffed toys but we protected the lamb for a long time. Three of our dogs love the Souper size Nylabones that Lisa mentioned. As a puppy, CharLee loved those teething keys that are sold at Petsmart.

One inexpensive thing my husband does is take old socks (washed of course :P ) and knot them together. CharLee LOVES shaking things and she gets really ferocious with the socks.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Brendainnj
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Brendainnj »

Thanks to all who replied! It seems that most of your Britts like the soft, stuffed toys--something I NEVER bought for my Labs since they were such strong chewers. The idea of the socks seems great & I have lots of old tube socks around. There are a couple "puzzle" type dog toys by Kygen (sp?) that involve hiding stuffed animals (bees, squirrels) inside their "home" & the dog has to figure out how to get them out...I thought it might be a good "mind" activity, but they are kind of pricey. So I'll have to see; I plan to buy the crates off of craigslist or yard sales to save some $ so maybe I can splurge on one expensive toy! :)

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

We have a couple of the Kyjen stuffed puzzle toys (squirrels in a tree trunk and birds in a house). My two dogs love the little squirrels and birds just as much as the puzzle itself. Belle plays by herself -- throwing the little squirrels around. They squeak so even better. Since I have two dogs though, they managed to rip the tree trunk piece by playing tug of war with it, but over a year later the little squirrels are still in tact.

BTW. Kyjen makes a line called "Invincibles" that my dogs love (particularly the gecko and small snakes). The squeakers will keep squeaking even if they have a hole in them.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

When Maggie graduated from puppy kindergarten, she got to pick any toy from a huge pile. She picked this odd little stuffed pig!!! She loved that little critter! (In fact, I think we still have the remains of it buried somewhere in a toy basket.) We also got her the tree with squirrels, and the bird house with birds. If I remember, they weren't really too much of a challenge, but she had fun with them.

That being said....Maggie, Emma and Sammy can each destroy any stuffed animal in less than 5 minutes. We no longer buy stuffies except at Christmas. Each dog gets one stuffed animal they can destroy at their leisure!

Maggie likes balls-believe it or not, soccer balls are her favorite. She also likes tennis balls. She destroys frisbees.

Emma is an odd little girl. The only "toy" she will really play with is an empty plastic soda bottle-I think DH uses the 16oz size, and she loves when he throws that for her in the backyard! For some reason, she can't be bothered with balls.

I also remember "puppy fish". Maggie loved that little thing, and when we got Emma, she chewed on it as well. There is not much left to puppy fish, but it sure was a good investment! I think we picked it up at a pet store somewhere, but this is what it is: http://www.amazon.com/Tfh-Nylabone-DNYN ... puppy+fish