First camping trip with Jack

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

First camping trip with Jack

Post by Icspots »

So, we are back from our first camping trip with our rescue Jack. I am not sure that he enjoyed it but we all survived it and will be going again in a month for a longer trip. I really thought that he would enjoy the lake but maybe the waves were his not his idea of fun. Even hanging around the campfire at night with us he seemed all "funned" out and wanted to go in the trailer and sleep there. Still, there wasn't any behaviour that was a problem (lots of nose to the ground sniffing on walks so our arms were tired) so he may start to enjoy himself when he really feels that he won't be left behind. It was really strange to be in a park with the only dog that doesn't bark. In spite of the leash rules we decided to be a little bit rebellious and had him loose around the camp site as he clearly showed he had no idea of how to be on a long line without tying himself up in a knot. My DH and I have decided that our wish for a bigger trailer is not so selfish now, we had both kids (15 and 20) with us and the dog and all of a sudden everything has shrunk in size. I ended up sleeping curled into a ball as I shared my half of a very small bed since Jack had no room on the floor until everyone else was down for the night. Now I am thinking a small Britt would take less space but we have this huge dog.....so bigger trailer. Buying a lottery ticket for this weekend.

Lisa

Re: First camping trip with Jack

Post by Lisa »

I'm glad your trip went well!

Jack may just need some time to adjust to this new adventure. I bet once he gets in to a routine of going, he'll enjoy himself more. Also, all the sights, smells, and new stuff is probably exhausting for him.

Just a thought for future trips....if you have room, you could get an ex-pen for him to hang out in at the camp site. Then you don't have to worry about him getting tangled in a long line or being off leash. Probably either a 36" or 40" tall one would work fine.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Our Copper is pretty well versed with the camping stuff now, but he also had quite a time with the tie down. Now he's used to it, we still have the occasional "unwrapping" of chairs or whatever, but for the most part he does fine. Interesting to me was your comment about Jack wanting to go chill in the trailer in the evening, because Copper is the same way. We can all be outside by the fire, at a certain point he just wants to go snooze on the couch for the rest of the night. Oh, and a bigger trailer? Yeah we did that too, only we didn't have the kids to blame, we went bigger purely for more room for the dogs!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

When we take our girls on vacation, they are totally exhausted by the end of the day and will all put themselves to bed even if we are staying up and on a different floor of the house. It's not always that they've been so busy running and playing - I think just staying awake all day is exhausting for them! :lol: And I agree, as we've seen Layla and Pippa get more secure in their new home, they've also become more sociable and less anxious when we take them other places.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by britlover »

I also use an xpen when I take my two camping - it is really handy to have. They get fed in the xpen and generally hang out there while I putter around the campsite. During the day we spend many hours hiking, so they are tired and happy to hang out in the xpen while I read a book or whatever in the afternoon/evening. They often are begging to go inside the tent to sleep while I enjoy my campfire. I have a 40" pen.
Piper, and Bryce

Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Icspots »

Wow I feel much better reading your posts. We thought he was all "funned" out but it was really unusual for him to separate himself from us and of course his Man. After all the Man saved him (yeah it was really me but Jack doesn't seem to be listening) and Jack thinks he needs to be every where the Man is because Jack might need to help him out. I like the idea of some sort of pen but here in Ontario you aren't even supposed to use a tie out, only a 6' leash so a pen might be a problem at some parks but I have some ideas now that I will try. Would be great if you could have your dog pass a test and get a license to not follow all the rules they set up.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Icspots wrote:Jack thinks he needs to be every where the Man is because Jack might need to help him out
I love this, lol. Rocket is the same way... Except at dinner time. Then he's 100% my boy.

Marge

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola doesn't like campfires... maybe your guy doesn't either. She wants to be as far from the fire as she can and will always choose to be inside the cabin (or running in the woods) rather than around a fire. However, if there is no fire she is happy to hang with us once the day is drawing to a close.