Magnolia Britt Blog

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Magnolia Britt Blog

Post by AuntieMom »

Pippa is on a long journey and she is lucky to have you guiding her. Since she likes cheese so much ... once you carry her outside, maybe give her cheese. Maybe she would start associating outside with cheese and head to the door on her own eventually. Praying for you and Pippa!
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

You must have alot of patience - the sympathy is there for sure. Day 3 is still appears to be progress but geez, what a challenge in figuring it all out and then remembering what it is you need to do when! Poor little Pippa ... to have had such an awful life so far. But that's all changing with your help Lisa.

Any idea how old she is????
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Nancy - believe it or not, I've been so focused on getting her outside and then keeping her outside long enough to potty, that I forgot about rewarding her. Thanks for reminding me. Okay - so - cheese outside on the table, then get Pippa outside, then give her cheese.

Cindy - my vet's best guess is about 3 years old.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

She is so beautiful. I hope she comes around sooner rather than later. When she's in the yard, does she interact with your dogs at all, or is she frightened of them, too?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I imagine she is still pretty uncomfortable from the surgery and will be associating "handling" with discomfort/pain. Tough situation having to physically maneuver her while she mends from that, let alone all the other "new life" issues she has to deal with and absorb :( Also, am I right,the spay was done to terminate a pregnancy/pyrometria complication? If so, she's going through some extreme/sudden hormonal adjustments, this on top of all the other terrible conditions of her life so far. Think this is going to be a long haul until she is feeling better physically, then maybe progress will speed up.

Wondering what her interaction is with Buster and Charm? Is their presence helpful at all?
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Barb Wright wrote:I imagine she is still pretty uncomfortable from the surgery and will be associating "handling" with discomfort/pain. Tough situation having to physically maneuver her while she mends from that, let alone all the other "new life" issues she has to deal with and absorb Also, am I right,the spay was done to terminate a pregnancy/pyrometria complication? If so, she's going through some extreme/sudden hormonal adjustments, this on top of all the other terrible conditions of her life so far. Think this is going to be a long haul until she is feeling better physically, then maybe progress will speed up.

Wondering what her interaction is with Buster and Charm? Is their presence helpful at all?
Yes, her spay was an emergency spay due to pyometria. She's almost 2 weeks post op now, the incision has healed well, but I do have to be very careful in how I lift her up and carry her. And, she still needs to be treated for heartworms. I may hold off on that for another month or so...let her get some more adjustment time in.

She's interested in all my dogs, but doesn't really interact with them. She watches to see how I interact with the dogs. Buster was being a dork and barking, and not thinking, I hollered "that's enough" at him That scared Pippa. So, the next time he started barking, I called him to me and started "talking" with him and let him bark at me. That interested Pippa and she crept a little closer to me. Charm and Britty have both tried to engage her in play, but she's not interested yet. With really fearful dogs like this, they seem to be very interested in how the other dogs interact with me and start to take their cues from that. Every time one of mine comes up to me, she watches very carefully to see what happens.
Image Image RIP Madi

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

MaggieRocks wrote:She is so beautiful. I hope she comes around sooner rather than later. When she's in the yard, does she interact with your dogs at all, or is she frightened of them, too?
She watches my dogs, but hasn't interacted with them yet. Charm tried really hard to engage her in play the other day, and Pippa just kinda stood there. She doesn't seem scared of my dogs...more unsure what to do with them.
Image Image RIP Madi

lkbri7
Puppy

Post by lkbri7 »

Thank you so much for helping Pippa. I think she's made great progress in just a few days. Our dear departed "forever foster" Sadie came to us afraid of everything: bowls, doorways, noises, stairs, us! She did nothing but shake for the first two days, wouldn't even go outside at all. And she was 8 when we got her, and had theoretically lived with a family for seven years. I can only imagine it's harder for Pippa - but am so grateful she has you to help her. I wonder if trying to feed her kibble with that cheese stuff on it by hand might be a start? I spent many hours on the floor with Sadie, slowly bringing my hand into her bowl and offering her a kibble at a time. Eventually she would "sneak up" on the scary food bowl and eat, but only if I remained nearby! She's been gone three months now but I often forget, and think that I have to do something with/for her still. These dogs are so incredibly resiliant, I just hope Pippa comes around sooner rather than later for both your sakes. Again, thanks so very much for your devoted help. LK from NY

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

Every day is certainly progress for Pippa. To be part of a family that wants nothing but the best for her is likely more than she has ever had before. Patience and commitment is sadly missing for many family pets.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Just reading Day 5 about Pippa. Since she's having trouble on your wood floors, what about putting down a runner or small bathroom rug that has a rubber backing? That's what I have on our wood floors in the "high risk" areas like around the doors, just outside the bedroom, etc. Any place they tend to be racing from or to.

HUGE progress for day 5!!
Last edited by Cindy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I just bookmarked the blog and am looking forward to getting caught up. Bless you Lisa, you are my hero!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Just read Day 7......Pippa is starting to THINK !! Yahoo, BIG progress, in spite of her instinct to "cave" behind washing machines :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Pippa does seem pretty smart - maybe you can teach her to run the washing machine for you since she likes being in the laundry room :lol: :lol:

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Cindy wrote:Pippa does seem pretty smart - maybe you can teach her to run the washing machine for you since she likes being in the laundry room :lol: :lol:
Ha! Yeah, when I did laundry, she ran from her corner in the hallway to her crate. The noise scares her. And, after yesterday's adventure with chasing her out with the vacuum hose, she now scurries away when I open the laundry room door.
Barb Wright wrote:Just read Day 7......Pippa is starting to THINK !! Yahoo, BIG progress, in spite of her instinct to "cave" behind washing machines :P
She is starting to think, which means her anxiety is decreasing. And, that's awesome.
Cindy wrote:Just reading Day 5 about Pippa. Since she's having trouble on your wood floors, what about putting down a runner or small bathroom rug that has a rubber backing? That's what I have on our wood floors in the "high risk" areas like around the doors, just outside the bedroom, etc. Any place they tend to be racing from or to.

HUGE progress for day 5!!
She's actually okay as long as she doesn't get spooked. If she will walk or trot normally, she's good. When she starts to freak out and tries to scrabble and scurry, then she has issues. I do need to pick up some runners though.
Image Image RIP Madi

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Just read days 10 and 11. How can Pippa not love someone who gives her 30 minute massages? :D Sounds like she is coming along and the fact that she is going outside and crating on her own is great news, and I am sure your back appreciates the break as well.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie