One less squirrel

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

One less squirrel

Post by Cindy »

They've finally succeeded!! When I got home from work last night there was a dead squirrel laying flat out in front of the garage! I've seen Layla and Pippa go after them any number of times but they finally got one. There wasn't a mark on it that I could see and it was so thoughtful of them to nicely "lay it to rest" right where I couldn't miss it! I would love to know who actually caught the thing. I've seen Pippa snatch birds right out of the air but Layla is faster on the ground. DOGS!!!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: One less squirrel

Post by mkilcz »

I guess perseverance pays off!!
Over the years Rocket has gotten at least three squirrels that I know of. But although Rocket is fast, speed isn't really the biggest factor for him when it comes to squirrel-catching. He hunts them like a cat, sitting still and patiently waiting while the squirrels taunt him and gradually forget about him being there. THEN he strikes! It's fascinating... I've never seen a dog have so much control. He does it with the poor hapless bunnies that make the mistake of entering our yard too, with even better success. Sometimes jack will come bounding over wanting to play and ruin it all. When this happens, you can tell that Rocket is really ticked off, lol.

Marge

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Mine have never caught a squirrel (but not for lack of trying)! The bunnies and groundhogs, however, have not been so fortunate.

Cindy-you could always learn how to make squirrel pot pie!!!! :wink:

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

you could always learn how to make squirrel pot pie!!!!
For the dogs maybe - me NOT!!!! :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

We had a plethora of lizards this summer and Wesley was obsessed with them. Unfortunately, he killed a number of them which is sad because they eat insects. Sometimes I had to physically drag him into the house and close the dog door because he was getting overheated hunting them in the sun.

Yeah, squirrel soup doesn't sound very appetizing but Wesley sure would love to try it !!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola hunts squirrels and chipmunks just like Rocket. She stalks them and has so much patience. I don't think she's ever caught one (bunnies and groundhogs, yes.. but never a squirrel).

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

My dogs would have eaten the squirrel. But they don't mind giving me partially eaten birds and voles. "Hello, my little precious Brittany, what have we here? :shock: (scream, scream)"
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by PCTech01 »

Don't know why I came down to this old post --- but SQUIREL POT PIE!! :roll:

I read this post to OSCAR seated next to me and he looked up and said -- "Lickum Chops"! :lol:

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by LizBot »

I'm glad you bumped up this thread. It gives me hope that Jazz will grow up and begin exterminating our local rabbit population. ;) Suburban Omaha is overrun with the furry little buggers and they always eat my hard-earned flower blooms. Usually my Star Gazer lilies. :(
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!