Pet shop selling pups under guise of being rescue

For all off topic chats.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mona Lisa
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Pet shop selling pups under guise of being rescue

Post by Mona Lisa »

So a new pet shop opened up in my area. I go in to buy bully sticks for my guy. They got in some cats/kittens from spca for adoption. This is good. The other day I go in and find a number of 8-10 week old pups all pure bred -- cairn, doxie etc.... There is a sign saying there are from a rescue. I made a comment to the clerk that its very odd for a rescue to get in so many purebred pups all near same age. She gave me website of the rescue. I couldn't find it online. I called back and confirmed the name. Nothing. I then contacted reputable local rescue and they got right on it. Turns our rescue is registered but owned by the wife of the owner of the pet shop. Apparently they claim they are rescuing dogs from the midwest from breeders that don;t want them. And the price.....$600 and up. This is so wrong.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Pet shop selling pups under guise of being rescue

Post by Barb Wright »

Well, it really sounds like the shop is getting the pups from a puppy mill....that is where most pet shops get their puppies. The purebreed rescue groups should jump right on this and determine what is the truth. If it is false advertising and the pet shop is just selling puppies they are breeding themselves, and/or getting them from puppy mills, then it shouldn't take much to put an end to it. A little boycott activity would probably work :twisted:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Re: Pet shop selling pups under guise of being rescue

Post by Kerplunk105 »

What pet store is it? I would def have someone look into it. Maybe animal control in the area?
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix