Up close and personal!

For all off topic chats.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Up close and personal!

Post by Cindy »

We took the dogs for a hike in the Blue Ridge the other day and look what we came across. This particular section of Skyline Drive has the highest population of black bear in North America (or so they tell us). Fortunately they don't seem too afraid of people as long as you keep your distance and don't threaten their babies. Kayla and Jill were VERY good - just froze and stared! I couldn't believe how fast the babies could scamper up the tree. All the mother did was eat and she could have cared less that we were there - maybe because her babies were safe in the tree?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Up close and personal!

Post by StFrost »

Too cool!

With the dog, we have only run across bears once in the wild, it was a yearling so it took off. Plenty of marmots and piccas though.

Last year, there was a 2 year old grazing on the side of the road during one of my races, that sped us up!

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Wow!! How cool AND how scary! Awesome pictures, they are beautiful. Weren't you scared? How long did you stay and watch them? We came across a cow moose with her two babies last year with Copper and our Bichon, all I could think was we better get the dogs out of there! We did take the dogs back to the truck and then went back to watch, but it was a heavily forested area and we didn't get such good pictures. Thank you for sharing these, what a treat!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:shock: Great pictures 8) but just the thought of a momma bear makes me shiver in my boots :!: :!: Wild mommas of any kind can really be dangerous.....I would have beat a veeeeeeery hasty retreat and left the county :P :P :D I watched a mother Moose charge one of my huskies once....we had inadvertantly stumbled on the grove of trees where she had her calf......whew, it was scary :shock: :shock: She had her mouth open and was hissing and charging :shock: :shock: We both, Herkie and me, "flew" out of there. Interesting thing though, Herkie went back every day for a week or so to check on her and her calf, but he kept his distance....me too :lol: Then one day she and her calf were just gone.

Here in AZ "they" say to give the Javalina lots of space when they have babies....mean, mean, mean. My motto with wild Mommas, cowardice is the better part of curiosity :lol: :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Trust me - we are VERY cautious around the bear - babies or not! We do see them pretty frequently in the mountains so I am less afraid than I used to be. But even the rangers will tell you that most bear we see in this particular stretch of the Blue Ridge are so used to seeing people that they aren't a problem as long as you are respectful, quiet, and don't threaten them. I say all of this after watching Animal Planet about a woman and her kids who were attacked by a black bear in TN!!! Had the mother done anything besides eat, we would have made a cautious retreat. We probably sat there for about 30 minutes just watching them. A highlight for sure!

Now VA whitetail deer are another story. They are a force to be reckoned with!!! Some of you might recall the story of the one in our woods that took down poor Jill a few years ago. We have to assume she had a baby nearby. Now we just keep the dogs out of the woods until we start seeing the babies coming in our pasture, usually around the end of June.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

How cool !! What great pics. I love the little cute babies in the tree. Thanks for sharing !!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'd have been right behind (or maybe in front of) Barb! I'd never sit and watch a mamma bear with her cubs for half an hour. But what a treat it would be! I wouldn't have had the nerve and Lola would have barked for sure.

Once I was doing surveys in the woods, they dropped me off and I ran my transect and then they were to pick me up at an appointed spot. I was sitting by the roadside waiting and a bear wandered out of the woods to graze. My heart was pounding because I didn't have anywhere safe to go. But the bear ignored me so I sat and watched. It was particularly funny when a hare hopped out of the forest, saw the bear and froze!! That hare and I sat perfectly still for 15 minutes or more.. When the car came up the bear ran and only then did the bunny run.

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Believe it or not, deer get really testy, too. We were chased down a trail by one who was stamping her feet and snorting at us.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

holisticmom wrote:Believe it or not, deer get really testy, too. We were chased down a trail by one who was stamping her feet and snorting at us.
The one in our woods knocked Jill to the ground and then challenged John when he went after it with a big stick. Did the snorting, stamping thing as well. They both decided to turn tail and leave while they could. A couple days later our nearest neighbor asked if we'd seen the "killer deer" who had also gone after one of their dogs! As I said, those deer are not to be trusted!!!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

On Friday Lola found me a baby deer! It was all curled up in the long grass next to our dirt road.... just about a foot off the road. I had a quick look then we moved on because I didn't want to disturb it or make its presence known to predators. It was pretty cute just laying there. Next day it was gone, day after that and Lola still hadn't forgotten so we must stop while she gives the area a thorough sniffing. :D