My Dad 3/25 update

For all off topic chats.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

My Dad 3/25 update

Post by Cindy »

My 91.5 year old Dad, who has been living on his own with a little help (mostly cooks), went from being basically healthy (not on any prescriptions) to being in the hospital in a matter of 4 days. He has double pneumonia, not responding very well to antibiotics, his kidneys are not working properly, and neither is his heart, although neither are "terrible." He seemed to be getting better and then just plateaued. My sister, a nurse married to an ER doctor, met with my dad's medical team today. They said they could keep him in the hospital for a while longer, do more testing, mess with medications, etc. and hopefully improve his situation and health. But Dad has refused - all he wants to do is GO HOME. So he was discharged today and Hospice is coming tomorrow to set him up with whatever is needed for however long he needs it. I totally admire his independence and completely understand his wanting to go home, but I am just so sad :cry: :cry: . He could recover - the jury is out - but perhaps he just misses my mom too much (she's been gone for 10 years) and just doesn't have the will. It's hard for me to believe given what he's been through in his life. He was a WW II pilot, shot down, POW for almost 2 years, and he got through all of that. But not unlike my old dogs who have now passed, sometimes your body just wears out. Anyway, this group has amazing powers and I thought I might enlist your positive vibes - I think he needs all the help he can get right now. Thanks.
Last edited by Cindy on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

NYC John
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: My Dad

Post by NYC John »

Jiggs and I are praying for your dad.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Cindy-my thoughts are with you and your family. I hope everything works out for your dad. {{{ hugs }}}

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Ah, my heart goes out to you because I understand, as having been the child of a senior parent, that we sooooo much want to do what WE think should be done. I went through this with my Mom who passed away at 93. Up until the last 8 days she wanted to do everything HER way!!! I guess I gotta think that that attitude is what kept her going to 93. I had conceded "defeat" by the time she was about 88....I figured "she has made it this far without my advice, I guess she can go the rest of the way just how the heck ever she wants it" !! Acceptance is hard for us, mostly because we really do think we know better, but in the end their spirit and internal guidance (from whatever source) directs them. For myself, I just said "okay, what will be will be" and went with the flow. Mother Nature finally intervened and took her down rather quickly....a blessing to all of us who cared, and I am sure the way she wanted it.

All that said to try to help you deal with the situation, I'm still sending all the good vibes I can conjure up to hopefully help and extend the clock for your Dad, and for your family to muster the will to accept what the future portends. Your continued expression of support and love will do wonders for extending the time frame.

Hang in there as positive support will help him and help you all. Hugs and more hugs.....keep the good memories good to the end.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Prayers for you and your Dad. It's so hard, I work in a medical office where we see a good deal of elderly patients, some of whom are so miserable, but we are keeping them going. I often wonder if we aren't doing too much, some of them are in and out of the hospital constantly, I could tell you stories.... so many are not at all happy any longer. I have heard only great things about the Hospice workers, and not all of our patients receiving Hospice help are about to pass, but still able to qualify for their help and benefit from it. I'm glad your Dad is able to say what he wants, and that you are able to give him that. I am so sorry for you though, I can only imagine and that makes me sad too. Enjoy the time you have, I hope our prayers and good thoughts help buoy you through this, we do care.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

binkus
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by binkus »

I will pray for your family.
Bailey and Angel

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Prayers sent to you and your family.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: My Dad 3/18 update

Post by Cindy »

You guys are working wonders right now!!! One of my sisters, her husband, and daughter are in NH with my Dad. Almost as soon as he saw his granddaughter he turned a corner. My sister just sent a picture of him sitting in his rocking chair eating hotdogs, mac n cheese, and sipping a drink!! Please keep all of your positive thoughts, vibes, prayers, and anything else you can conjure up coming. The power of this board seems to be working it's magic again!! Of course I'm not holding my breath - he is 91.5 years old and has double pneumonia but ...... :) :) Thank you all!!!

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Woohoo! Gotta think one of the best things he can do for pneumonia is sit up, so sounds like great news. We all know the magic this board (and Grandchildren) can do, so prayers are still going up, fingers and paws crossed too. Keep us posted!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Cindy, sending healing thoughts and prayers Dad's way.... Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

jholly
Puppy

Post by jholly »

Sending prayers your way. My mom who will be 90 this year is still kicking around. Her favorite activity is gambling and she still travels to Las Vegas at least 3 times a year. She's had colon cancer in '94, triple by-pass surgery, is diabetic, high blood pressure and has out lived my dad by 19 years. I know it's sometimes very hard to deal with when your family becomes elderly. Hang in there. Fingers and paws crossed.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Yes, sending healing thoughts. I think going home was a wonderful decision. Sometimes, these older folks find the strength they need by being surrounded by the family and environment that they know and love. Being in a hospital can be so hard and confusing on the elderly especially in their 90's. Hospice is a gift from God......no matter what direction his health goes. All good decisions at this point (IMPO). Glad to hear that he is gaining strength. Prayers being sent.

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

Another round of prayers and positive vlbes coming your way. Bless you and your family.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

My dad died last night :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: My brother and his daughter were there with him along with the 2 women who have been cooking for him and generally watching over him when family wasn't around. My brother said he went very quietly (TOTALLY unlike my father - he's never quiet) and his heart and kidneys just gave out. Guess I'll be heading to NH as soon as I know when the funeral is. Thanks for all of your well wishes and support - I appreciated them for sure - but sometime this board just can't pull off a miracle. :)

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: My Dad 3/25 update

Post by MaggieRocks »

Cindy, I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.