Our Cat Is Sick

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Our Cat Is Sick

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Hello All,

I usually don't post about our cats, but I am worried about our Molly and wanted to see if any of you have any ideas. She has lost alot of weight, her coat has gotten horrible, and she has the sneezes and congestion. We took her to the vet a couple weeks ago, and he did bloodwork.....which he thought would show either kidney, thyroid, or some kind of organ failure. Surprisingly the bloodwork came back great, no signs of any problems. He did say she was very dehydrated though. She prescribed 2 weeks of antibiotics and a wormer. We are getting close to the end of the antibiotics and she seems worse than before. She has a bunch of eye goop and is sneezing and coughing more than before.

Could the worse symptoms really be her immune system stepping up and fighting whatever she has? The vet said that when we bring her back, he'll check her weight to see if she is beginning to gain weight again. If not, he'll do X-rays on her to see if there is some intestinal blockage. But with the congestion, etc., I'm not thinking this is an intestinal issue.

Say a little prayer for our Molly. I hate to see her this way, but she still enjoys her snacks and going outside. If anyone has seen these kind of symptoms before, I'd love to get input about your experiences.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I'll definitely say a prayer for Molly. That's about all I can do, though...not a cat person, and don't have much experience with their ailments. Whatever it is, I hope she recovers quickly!!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

No cats here either but certainly can do prayers. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by mart »

did they do a urin test. Sounds a little like before we found out that our old cat had diabetes

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Yes, they did the urine test too, and it all came back fine.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

So sorry to hear about this but I would think that with all the testing being normal, she'll bounce back. Because cats are so small, a little weight loss seems like a lot and I know it's worrisome. Hoepfully the vet visit will be a positive one. Keep us posted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

What kind of antibiotics? They may not have been strong enough. Is Molly vaccinated against rhinotracheitis (a cold for cats but can turn into pneumonia) and feline HIV? I have had cats with both and these symptoms could be either. Hope for the rhino. If is rhino it usually takes more than the simple "clavamox" and more than one round of it. She is in my prayers.

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

I take it they checked her for pancreatic inflammation? That wouldn't explain the congestion but it could account for the weight loss and lackluster coat.
Kiss my nose, you know you want to.

Check out my blog at www.fugitivefromthedogstar.blogspot.com

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Thanks Nancy. I'll bring that up tothe vet when we make our next appointment. It sounds so much the same, but I am also realizing that symptoms of a sick cat can mean just about everything. My first internet searches left me thinking itcould be hyperthyroidism. Then I thought about heartworm, very similar symptoms. Then I thought about feline leukemia. About then I realized these all share common symptoms, and it left us feeling hopeless and worried.

As far as the rhinotracheitis goes, it sounds very similar, except for the duration part. I really think she sarted getting a dryed out, unkempt coat in the spring and began losing a little weight. We kept waiting to see if it was just maybe the change of weather, stress, etc. It got to the point where her walking began to look odd, because of the loss of muscle tone. She is looking so anorexic. We still see her eat and drink, but can't really tell how much she is taking in, because we just leave the bowls out and two cats eat from it.

I'm not even sure if we mentioned the congestion part to the vet, but I'm sure he listened to her lungs. It just seems since we started her on antibiotics and wormer that it seems to be alot worse. But I have to give her 1/4 tablet of antibiotics by mouth, which is quite the challenge. If it doesn't go straight down her throat, she foams at the mouth these strings of mucous. I think the pill is causing that to happen and may be causing some extra congestion and mucous. I'm surprised I'm not more torn to shreds from the morning dose, when I try to do it myself. At night, Tracy tries to hold her for me. Molly is really starting to get pissed at me. She just looks so horrible, and we just want her to feel and to get better.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

I have no experience with cats but just wanted to let you know we are praying for her. I know how it feels when you just don't know what is going on. Hang in there. Give her a pet from us
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

How is Molly doing?
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

She still seems sick, but it has only been 10 days since we started the antibiotics. We gave the last dose last night....thankfully. She was really starting to get pissed at me. It is so hard to give a cat a tablet, especially a cat with claws. A couple doses didn't go as well as I would've liked. And for a cat with congestion that bubbles out her nose, she sure could smell the medicine in any piece of chicken I gave her when she spit out the pill and I had to find another way to get it in her. She seems less congested today, but is still lethargic. I think some of the mucous was caused be the pill getting stuck in her throat, and the taste made her phlegm up. We gave her a good grooming, since her coat was so horrible and unkempt. She did have more of a shine than she did before, so hopefully things will improve.

Molly was always the one that was the hunter of our cats. This year I haven't seen her go after anything. So I know she feels very weak. Our new addition has taken over the hunting duties. I used to cuss out Molly for killing the mother of baby birds or injuring a baby squirrel, leaving me to try to keep those little things alive. Now I would love to see her go after anything. Until that happens, I know she still isn't doing well.
What kind of antibiotics? They may not have been strong enough.
She was on Metronidazole 250mg. Maybe someone can tell me if this is a strong or weak antibiotic.

Thanks for the prayers and well-wishes :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Have you tried suctioning her nose? Get one for a baby. It will also be an ordeal. You have to hold one side closed while sucking out the other. Miaght help her breathe easier.

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

She was on Metronidazole 250mg. Maybe someone can tell me if this is a strong or weak antibiotic.
I should say the pills are 250mg, but she gets a 1/4 pill twice a day.....so that is 125mg per day.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts