Our Cat Is Sick

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Fancy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Our cat is sick...

Post by Fancy »

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:Does anyone know if it's okay to put the prednisone in a little piece of chicken.
Hey Brian, I don't know about the chicken but when our Cocker had to take prednisone (for years) for a skin condition we used to give it to her in peanut butter ... she not only couldn't separate it and then spit it out BUT it was quite entertaining for us ... the old peanut butter stuck to the roof of her mouth bit :o but she loved it :) :!: :!: just a thought...

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

Yes you can give in food. Likely that the pred will make her more hungry and getting that pill into her will get easier too :wink:
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Thanks Helen :!: It is so nice to be finally treating what she has rather than treating what she may have but doesn't. We are so looking forward to our Molly to start looking like herself again.

Just a couple months ago, my brother was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. And when I worked at the school for the blind with deafblind, severely-handicapped kids, I had a student in the class with Crohn's. I know there are nutritional supplements that help with Crohn's. Now I gotta see if there is any information on cats with it. Humans and dogs are easy to add supplements to their diets. Cats are so dang finicky that it will be trial and error. Maybe there is a cat food made for such conditions with the supplements already in it.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

you may want to try and see if you can get her switched over to a cooked diet and then maybe a raw diet. Cats are special...their body's need so much more then a dog and because they are true carnivores they derive so much of the trace nutrients, amino acids and other stuff that their bodies need from real, fresh meat. I'd skip looking for a commercial diet at this point and go as natural as I could. She will probably see much improved health for the efforts.

A mix that my kitties love is ground meat ( cheapo hamburger and/or ground lamb work well), raw egg, a dash of steamed smashed greenery( teeny bit, not too cooked and really crushed up) and sardines packed in water.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

DualCH Brits wrote:...A mix that my kitties love is ground meat ( cheapo hamburger and/or ground lamb work well), raw egg, a dash of steamed smashed greenery( teeny bit, not too cooked and really crushed up) and sardines packed in water.
Aaaaaah....nectar of the Gods 8) 8) Cats are a true obligate carnivore...raw is magic for them :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Thanks for the advice :!: I think we will go raw with the cats. I've been wanting to do it so badly with the dogs, but it would cost me so much with 2 hungry Britts. Maybe one day when I am making the money I deserve....but the lottery is so dang hard to hit. :P I do get them raw chicken thighs from time to time. And hopefully if I get a couple deer this year, I'll use some of that for them. Maybe not completely raw, but still a little is better than nothing.

The cats, on the other hand, will be so much more feasible to do. With their dry food, we leave the bowl out and they nibble when they want. I guess we would have to set a certain time for eating now. What is the feeding recommendations for a cat on raw :?: And should they eat twice a day, or just whenever they want to nibble on it :?: I think they would definitely be more willing to finish their raw meals at one time, rather than picking on a few morsels of dry now and again. The best part is that Molly would be the one to finish a raw meal. Our Miss Pusser is so darn finicky it gets ridiculous at times. She will even turn her nose up to bacon and chicken if the feng shui isn't just right in the kitchen. :roll:

Once again.....you gals are great :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Glad you seem to have a diagnosis even if the treatment isn't easy. If you can get her to eat the pills all of the time you'll have it made!! Good luck and hope this does the trick.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:What is the feeding recommendations for a cat on raw :?:
This is the best site on feeding cats that I've found: Cat Info

This link -- here will take you directly to the section on preparing a raw diet.

Another good site is Cat Nutrition (although I think a lot of it is a repeat of info contained in the Cat Info site).

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Just wanted to post an update on Molly. We just started her on prednisone Monday night, along with liquid antibiotics for her congestion. Her appetite is taking off. I'm scared to fall asleep with any flesh uncovered. :D

She is still a little congested, but her eye goop has disappeared and she's not really blowing out any quantity of mucous. Today I heard a crinkling sond around the corner where the litter box is. I kept hearing it so I went and looked. She had her head buried in the dogs' bag of Innova Evo. We usually feed Canidae, but we're switching up to one bag if Innova for a change. I read through all Myra's info about IBD in cats, and grains and vegetables are bad for IBD cats....not good for any really. It is almost like she knew that the Innova Evo is grain-free.

We are going to get her on a grain-free diet as soon as we find a pet food place that carries it, or until we get a grinder and the other supplies to get her on a raw diet.. For now we are feeding he canned cat food, since she was dehydrated and canned has so much more moisture than the dry kibble. After a day of me giving her chicken and kitty snacks, she downs her whole can and pushes our Miss Pusser out of the way to eat half of hers too. She is also drinking alot more often now.

Though she doesn't appear much bigger yet, being only three days since we started with the new meds, but we are very happy to see her heading in that direction. She seems so much more alert since Monday.

Thanks to all for the advice, info, and prayers. I'll keep you posted as time passes. :D
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

Glad to hear she is getting better!
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Great news! Sounds like she is on the up hill ride.

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Just needed some input about Molly:

She is doing so much better. Her congestion and eye goop are completely gone. She is grooming herself again, which shows she feels so much better. She is putting on some weight, not bad for just about 10 days into the treatment.

But now she has diarrhea. I'm sure Crohn's alone is enough to cause that, but she never did it until her treatment began. Here are the three new variables I'm struggling with as the cause:

1) We changed her from dry kibble to moist canned cat food. Since she was dehydrated, we wanted to get the added moisture into her from the canned stuff. Plus the prednisone is making her a ravenous beast. Now Molly pushes her way past the dogs when the refrigerator is opened.

2) The Prednisone itself. She was on 5 days of half a pill twice per day. We just finished up the second regime of half a pill once a day. For 15 more days she'll be on half a pill every other day. That seems like a lot of prednisone to me, the really inexperienced. But then again, Molly looked really bad when we started it.

3) She was on a week of antibiotics twice a day. It was amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium. She was actually on that for 8 days, since there was still some left in the bottle and we wanted make sure she got all of it.

I know diarrhea can be a bad thing if it goes on for too long, yet she was really sick before and looks so comparatively wonderful now. Should I accept this as part of the treatment, or should I alert the vet :?: I'm sure any one of the above differences could account for the diarrhea and all are probably causing it to some degree. Just not sure what to be alarmist about and what to let ride.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

I wouldn't freak out. Her system has been through A LOT in the past 2 weeks. You would probably have diarrhea too.

The question to ask your self is "How long has she had it?" That is the first thing the vet is going to ask. Then is going to ask is she still eating, drinking, all the normal things she should be doing.

And what is a phone call if it gives you peace of mind. :)

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I agree with Nancy. Between the antibiotics, predisone, and canned food, I'm not surprised she has diarrhea. I'd just call the vet and see what they recommend. I'm glad she's doing so well. :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Just a quick update about our cat with IBD: Molly's been on prednisone for a month now and has gained 2 pounds, going from 5.5 lbs to 7.5 lbs. We're going to keep her on 1/2 pill every other day for two more weeks, then we'll probably be doing the 1/2 pill every third day for a little while after that. And her diarrhea started clearing up a couple weeks ago. :P :D
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts