Our Cat Is Sick

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Been watching this thread with interest as I have only had one cat....it was my first and last cat :P :P

Got sorta curious and found this info:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html

Read this one to the end as there is where you will find the Golden Clue....
http://www.cathobbyist.com/articles/PillingACat.html

But here are the best instructions:

HOW TO PILL A CAT:

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in the in the right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly in between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch a new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table; find heave duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL

1. Wrap it in bacon.

:P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

OMG!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

Good one Barb.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so true! Turbo kitty fought us tooth and nail every single time we had to give him his medicine after his surgery.
Kiss my nose, you know you want to.

Check out my blog at www.fugitivefromthedogstar.blogspot.com

Fancy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Our cat is sick...

Post by Fancy »

No offense to Brian and his cat :oops: But Barb's story is a prime example of why I stick with dogs :D :P :!: :!: Too, too funny Barb :lol: :lol:

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

ok Brian..just how old is Molly? What has been her consistent diet? Her liver, kidney, and glucose levels came back normal so you are now faced with something other then the norm. Fair enough. Have you had a look at her teeth lately? She is having this congestion as you say, perhaps she has an abcess from gingivitus up in her jaw ( and I'm thinking upper jaw due to the congestion you describe whcih is fairly common in older cats.) The vet should also xray her head and skull to see of perhaps she does not have a sinus infection caused by a polyp of some sort...also common in cats. The constant congestion has me thinking sinus related problem, either bad teeth or some sort of infection.

Antirobe is the preferred choice of antibiotics for oral infections, it covers gram negative and gram positive bacteria nad is very strong. Let us know how she is doing.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

Brian I understand how your feeling. We have a 10 yeard old domestic LH and right before the food recall (which the food was not on the list) she would sleep a lot and not really want to eat. We have done test after test and everything comes back normal. It is very frustrating because sometimes she acts fine then other times she vomits and won't eat. We also noticed her legs shaking and they said she has arthritis so I don't know. Hope you can at least find out what is wrong with your kitty.

Andrea

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

OMG Barb! Gotta say I have used quite a few of those techniques. Molly is the typical cat. I really can't believe I came out of that with all my fingers. :oops:

Helen, Molly is 8 now. The vet did do the once over with her. I can't say I've seen an abcess, but I'll check again. Her diet has been Purina One with a fairly recent change to Blue Diamond Holistic. But she gets the usual tuna, etc snacks every day too. The vet said the next step is to do X-rays. I'll bring up that we want head X-rays too, not just body. His first guess, after seeing the bloodwork came out fine, was some intestinal issue. Thanks for the ideas!

As far as her bloodwork goes, can you all tell me if this is the usual way it happens? I always thought they drew blood and sent it out to some lab for testing. The vet did it all at the clinic, while seeing other patients, in about 45 minutes. Is this a true test or just a quick check test? Just wondering if we should request a more indepth test.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Some vets (especially multi-vet practices) have the equipment necessary to do complete blood work/chemical panels at their office. Mine does.

The last time mine had to send out bloodwork for one of my pets was four or five years ago. Our cat had what was eventually diagnosed as acute lymphocytic leukemia, and some specialized blood work was needed. Other than that, everything is done right in the office, while I wait.

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

No offense to Brian and his cat But Barb's story is a prime example of why I stick with dogs Too, too funny Barb
:lol: :lol: :lol: Same reasons here on why I stick to dogs :wink:. Keep us posted on Molly, and Brian glad to hear you were able to keep all your fingers :D.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I love my cats and can't imagine not having at least 1 or 2. However, my 19 year old cat bit my finger a couple of months ago (I was pulling at a hair mat) and I wound up going to urgent care to get on antibiotics. It's the first time that's ever happened to me and I've had cats all of my life. Live and learn - WEAR HEAVY GLOVES whenever you do anything with a cat!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Well, the antibiotics didn't seem to do anything, so we went back to the vet today. He took X-rays and the diagnosis is Crohn's Disease. We are starting Molly on Prednisone tonight for 3 weeks, then we go back to the vet. I hope you all pity me......I may have to go through giving Molly pills the rest of her life. :shock: :cry: In a few eeks, I may be an expert at it, or I may not have fingers left. Well, so much for playing the guitar anymore. I guess the vet didn't think just giving pills was enough punishment for me. I am also to give her drops for her congestion. But if it makes our Molly feel and look better, it would've been worth it. Maybe I can learn to strum the strings with my toes. :wink:

Thanks for all the advice everyone :!: I don't know how the rest of the world gets by without you all.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

Gwennei88
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Gwennei88 »

Do you have a pill popper?? You can get one for about $5 or less at Petsmart. They're just a long plastic syringe looking thing that holds the pill in the end. You put it in their mouth and push the plunger to pop the pill out. As long as you get the pill past their tongue they can't spit it back out.

When my cat had worms it was the best 5 bucks I ever spent!

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Do you have a pill popper??
We did get one when we started the antibiotics, but I couldn't get it to pop out the little 1/4 of a pill. I may try it again.

Does anyone know if it's okay to put the prednisone in a little piece of chicken. I gave her her first pill tonight and stuck it in a small piece of chicken and she ate it. The 1/2 of a pill of prednisone is so small....and maybe not as bitter as the antibiotic...that she seemed not to notice it at all. If this will work, I may have found a loophole. That is until Molly realizes I've found a loophole. :wink:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

Fancy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Our cat is sick...

Post by Fancy »

Sorry to hear that Molly has Crohn's disease :cry: ... at least now you know what you're dealing with. I hope your kitty isn't in too much pain ... I have a friend whose granddaughter has Crohn's disease (I didn't know animals could have it too) and she just got out of the hospital after a bad spell with it ... she had to be on morphine for the pain :( :!: Even though I'm not a cat person, I'll keep nothing but good thoughts for her ... and you, too :!: