SMELLY DOG

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

SMELLY DOG

Post by Ron »

My mother has a Cocker Spanel ,who is 9 years old . The problem that he stinks with a fowl order. Took him to the vet ,and that he said it was from his being infected. This has been three month ago and the infection is gone, and he still stinks. :roll: :roll: I need some ideas what to do about this . We also tryed Frebrezeon him . the order is so bad that you can't stand to have him in the same room. :? :? Ron

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: SMELLY DOG

Post by Annabelle »

Would a change in food help maybe? i don't have any experience with this. But I know when we changed Jack's food, his breath changed for the better.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

What/where was the infection? I'm assuming he's had a good bath, especially cleaning around the head if it was an ear infection. Maybe a good haircut would help??
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

The infection was in the ears, the food that he is on is the same since being a pup (iams Red bag). he had a haircut about 2 months ago.Ron :wink:

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Has he been back to the vet? Healthy ears shouldn't smell. My guess is that he had a very bad yeast (fungal) infection in his ears. They can be extremely difficult to get cleared up, frequently requiring more than one vet visit.

I would switch him to a dog food that doesn't contain any corn, wheat, soy or brewer's yeast and that contains a different protein source than whatever's in the Iams. Cockers are notorious for having allergy issues, and ear infections are very frequently due to food allergies. Food allergies develop after continual, long-term exposure to the same ingredients. So the fact that he's been on the same food all his life makes it more likely that he has developed an allergy to something in the food. You could also switch him to a raw diet, or a very simple home-cooked diet of just one protein source and one carb source.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

I had a Shar Pei who stank despite twice weekly baths, because of skin allergies.

So my vote is for that....try bathing him in a gentle shampoo, possibly one formulated for skin allergies, oatmeal and such. While it won't fix the problem, it will certainly help the smell, hopefully, and possibly make the poor guy feel better if his skin is irritated.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

I am going to have my mother try a different food for him. It would be hard to do a raw or cooked diet because of my mothers age,and movement ( she uses a walker to get around ,meals brought in) :( . The vet put him on Hills Science diet p. plan right now. maybee it is that food is causing the stink :?: Ron

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I had a Shih Tzu when I was little and he had sebborhea (sp?P) it's a skin condition similar to psoriasis and he stunk so bad, you could barely stand it. Vet gave him a special shampoo which helped. Does the dog have dandruff on his skin and does he scratch a lot, maybe this is the problem?

If not, try changing the food. Daisy was having probs with her eyes/ears - I changed the food and she hasn't had those problems since.

Good luck - keep us posted.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by DelawareBritts »

My old man Buddy (Rainbow Bridge 2003) had bad skin problems related to allergies that made him stink. Years :evil: of allergy tests, antibotics, cortizone and bloodwork :roll: . Not once did the vet indicate tyroid levels were off balance. Changed his vet who prescribed tyroid meds daily...within 30 days...it all cleared up. No more stink. Have you had his tyroid checked?
I sleep with Brittanys...

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Ron »

Took my mothers dog to the groomer last weekend , they said the smell was from a skin allergies from the change of food. :| So she took him off the sd p plan to the regular food that Chip was on (Iams) , and it seems to be helping 8) . The groomer told us also, that his hair should be kept short to help in the problem. :D Ron